Edible chews - how much is too much? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
I've never tried a lamb horn. I'd have thought they were abrasive. As far as the bully sticks you do have to watch your dog to make sure they don't just swallow the last few inches whole.
Well of course you should watch your dog.

However...It wasn't "the last few inches whole". It was 2 pieces the size of a 50 cent piece. That's about 1" per piece that caused a bowel obstruction. Any dog can bite that off the front part.

No, lamb horns are not abrasive. They are 100% keratin so after the first 5 minutes of gnawing, it softens around the edges.
car2ner likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Well of course you should watch your dog.

However...It wasn't "the last few inches whole". It was 2 pieces the size of a 50 cent piece. That's about 1" per piece that caused a bowel obstruction. Any dog can bite that off the front part.

No, lamb horns are not abrasive. They are 100% keratin so after the first 5 minutes of gnawing, it softens around the edges.
Do they last longer than bully sticks?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Do they last longer than bully sticks?

Yes. Scarlet usually gets two or three days out of hers, when I take her to work with me. A bully stick with her is gone in minutes.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Can you post a website that has good ones? I have never given them to dogs. Horn must be similar to cow hooves, right? Same keratine? But easy to swallow I guess.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Crowned Member

When the dogs were were pups they often had Himalayan chews- made from Yaks milk after they became to small to chew you can put them in the microwave and they would expand. As pup I would take the core and seeds out of an apple stuff with a little bit of peanut butter -( no xylitol in peanut butter xylitol which is toxic to dogs)and freeze it. Made a good healthy treat and felt good on sore gums. Frozen carrots another snack. I use the lamb horns - that Michelle put up in the link. They do smell bad but get soft and do not wear down teeth. Last a good time. I like to use them on a good rainy day or in between. I also give them the Wheezies every now and again. They do not last though. As a guilty pleasure when dogs are adults-I will get the bones filled with processed super crappy cheese -Luna also loves this and keeps her busy getting the cheese out. Just becareful with the bully sticks I only tried them once and that was it. Luna swallowed one hole and barfed it up hole. Max can smell the chemicals in the pigs ear and won’t touch them. Luna will have a pigs ear if the staff and I let them give it to her at our local pet feed store. She will lie down and knosh on them while I’m at the check out paying for her goodies. I swear she looks forward to that when I do bring her so i let her have it on that rare occassion.
Jax08 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-14-2018 at 08:28 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
When the dogs were were pups they often had Himalayan chews- made from Yaks milk after they became to small to chew you can put them in the microwave and they would expand.

My dogs all HATED these. They had no interest at all until I broke one into crumbles and microwaved the crumbles -- turning them into what looked like yak puff "cheetos." Those yak puffs were much more interesting to them, probably due to the odor.

They're so individual about their preferences! Two out of three of mine loved strips of dried green tripe from Bestbullysticks.com. The third thought it was gross and just wanted a dried trachea chew.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
My guy gets an all natural no preservatives cow ear every day... not sure if it's bad or not, but I just can't say no [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/Germanshepherds_2016/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG] lol.. never has gotten diarrhea or anything from them.
I give Mei a pig ear probably 3 times a week. And when she gets it she knows it's time to get brushed too so she lays down and chomps away.

I haven't seen any issues with her poops giving her that many a week. I do get a smaller one though.

The bully sticks I get from Costco. Bag of like 16 for 30$.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Crowned Member

@Magwart
Lol! Yes probably like cheetos! Lol! The dogs do have all different kinds of different treat/chew orders to put in - a lot like people in that way! Even the dogs!

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page