In case you have puppy fever ...... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In case you have puppy fever ......

...while raising an adolescent dog under 2 years old. The reason I post this is to warn people who love their adolescent dog so much that they think another puppy will be twice as much fun. Let me tell you now: if you want to have two well adjusted obedient dogs, it won't be. You need all that time to raise your teenager dog. Deja is 4.5 years old and this is the third week after adding Griff as a pup. Things are going really well. BUT...only because it is a 24 hour job minus nightly crate time for the dogs and bed time for me, so let's say a 16 hour job. And this is while Deja is well trained, stable and lovely. They both have very limited access to each other so I work two dogs separately as I cannot park Deja on a shelf for the next few months. The result of this hard work is that Griff leaves Deja alone and visa versa when I call him so there is no separation anxiety between the two. I knew this ahead of time before I got him.
My test for the next-puppy-readiness is "can I have the previous dog have on a down stay off leash while working with the pup? Deja can do this so working with these two is enjoyable. But I am looking forward to merge the two permanently. My test will be if I can tell them to stop their play and they actually listen.
I realize that my goals may differ from yours though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 12:34 PM
Elite Member

I disagree. Personally I had no issues having 2 dogs under 2 years of age. Both get trained, worked, etc.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I disagree. Personally I had no issues having 2 dogs under 2 years of age. Both get trained, worked, etc.
This has been my experience as well. I have raised pups with only a couple of months difference in age and even pups from the same litter with no issues, all with unlimited access to each other.

I never had problems calling a dog away from play with a pup and the young adult actually reinforces the recall to the pup. If I call the pup and he does not come, I call the older one out of play and the pup follows every time. All of this without any formal training. I also have no problem easily stopping play with a verbal. I am very strict with no rough play. Pups learn very quickly by imitation.

The only monitoring I do is when the pups are very young to ensure the adult does not injure the puppy.

IME, same sex aggression can occur and I treat it like expected behavior. If you raise two females or two males close in age together, chances are the day will come that you will have to separate them unless supervised and even then it may not be workable. I also have found that when I rear opposite sex pups close in age, the day also comes where the females are just too over powered by the strength of the males and choose not to interact frequently or for long with the males.
LuvShepherds likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Master Member

My one year old dog is dog crazy. He just loves other dogs, I would say it is my greatest challenge. I have great engagement with him except when it comes to other dogs. He will spit a toy out like it is a hot rock! Training is fun, but this one thing instead of fun its always a fight a battle of wills. I really feel like I am fighting his truest nature, depriving him of something that runs deep in his make up. I know it sounds ridiculous. I have been advised NOT to add another dog. I wish that if he had a pack mate and that part of him was being fulfilled it would be less of challenge. Guess it does not work that way, no short cuts in training. I would probably end up with two dogs who won't engage with me with other dogs around or each other. I do really love having a GSD and look forward to my current pup being a role model for my future pup.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:07 PM

So much depends on your time available, energy available, your temperament and your dog's temperaments. My two are approx two years apart. I wouldn't have gotten my 2nd if my first wasn't where I wanted him to be. I also didn't do some of the things with my 2nd that I did when I had only one dog. I can see a difference in my 2nd dog and part of it might the things I left out of the 2nd dog's puppyhood. I am still playing catch up and doing well. Now if someone put a 3rd dog into this mix I'd loose it faster than my dogs would. I know my limits
dogbyte and wolfy dog like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
I didn't mean that this cannot be done but merely to think it over and realizing how much time is involved if you want succes, which, I know, depends on the goals. It will be different if you "just want to have two dogs"
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I once had 4 but three of them were Whippets. With sight hounds you really don't have to keep count, kinda. Right now, I would never, ever add a third, no matter what breed.
LuvShepherds likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:46 PM

As a person who is raising littermates, male/female (now 11 months old), I'll agree with @wolfy dog and say "DON'T DO IT!" LOL. I am one of those who "just wanted a dog." Ended up getting two, and it has been non-stop work ever since. I know raising puppies same age is different than having an adult dog and a puppy, but still. It has just been too much.
dogbyte likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:48 PM

My trainer never has less than 3 dogs living with her as far as I know, and at one point she had 7 including a working GSD, a working GSD young pup, a service-dog-in-training teenage lab, and a bunch of other dogs sent to her for board and train varying in age. So I guess it really depends on the person and their ability. If they manage to train a very well behaved teenage GSD, I would imagine they are able to handle a pup and a teen together. But for average pet owner like myself lol, I agree with you.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I didn't mean that this cannot be done but merely to think it over and realizing how much time is involved if you want succes, which, I know, depends on the goals. It will be different if you "just want to have two dogs"
I don't know. Like many on here Cloudpump has a full time job, is raising a young family, and he is actively working both of his dogs in bitework and I know he has his finger in another pie or two.
LuvShepherds and cloudpump like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page