4 weeks old - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
Wolfy thanks for the heads up. The breeder explained the possible socialization issues that a litter of one could have. She had a litter of 9 born a day before this pup came. She moved 2 from that litter to lighten the load and put them with my pups mom so she would have littermates to socialize with. She said that my pups mom took to them immediately so they are being raised with my pup.

Selzer thankyou as well. I think she looks great and thankfully our breeder is on top of making sure she is socialized by moving those other 2 pups. I was worried a litter of 3 would still be too small but i was reassured it was fine.
Yes, it will be fine. It is fortunate she had more than one litter at the same time. And that should help. The pup is adorable.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
That was not all you said. You also said that you were a trainer, you knew people with problems with singletons, and that you would not purchase a singleton.

I took her comment as she wouldn't purchase a puppy that was raised as a singleton. This pup wasn't. Most breeders, if they have a singleton, will move heaven and earth to make sure that the pup is given the correct environment to NOT have the issues of being a single pup. They do as this breeder did. Or bring in other pups in some other way once the pup is up and around to insure that the dog is properly socialized.

Yes, a breeder who didn't do (or didn't know to do) these things would be one to be avoided. Your argument is like saying "I know someone who had all the health tests and still ended up with issues. So no reason to worry about the breeder doing hips/elbows" It's about stacking the odds in your favor
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
I took her comment as she wouldn't purchase a puppy that was raised as a singleton. This pup wasn't. Most breeders, if they have a singleton, will move heaven and earth to make sure that the pup is given the correct environment to NOT have the issues of being a single pup. They do as this breeder did. Or bring in other pups in some other way once the pup is up and around to insure that the dog is properly socialized.

Yes, a breeder who didn't do (or didn't know to do) these things would be one to be avoided. Your argument is like saying "I know someone who had all the health tests and still ended up with issues. So no reason to worry about the breeder doing hips/elbows" It's about stacking the odds in your favor
When Wolfy-dog made her comment, she did not know that the pup would not be raised as a singleton. It is like we immediately try to figure out reasons why someone should not buy the pup they picked out. It really is bursting one's bubble, considering the work in finding a breeder, then waiting for your pup to be born and out of the woods, and be being so excited to get a picture of the puppy. And then we say, "oh it's a singleton" or whatever other thing comes to mind to make someone question whether their choice is a good one.

The problem with what you are saying about most breeders is that it is simply not true. Most breeders do not have multiple litters on the ground of precisely the same age, and hopefully the same breed. For example, you would not raise a shepherd puppy with Yorkie puppies. They would have to be the same age and the same breed or at lest one of similar size and strength. Even a week's difference will make the older pup or puppies so much stronger and tougher that the younger puppies might be injured by bullying. So a breeder would have to have two bitches come into season on practically the same day, whelp two litters within a week of each other to have puppies that could be put together like you say.

As for moving Heaven and Earth to bring in other puppies of those ages to properly socialize a puppy, sorry but no. Most breeders are not going to upset their dam and litter to socialize another breeder's litter of one, and possibly introduce diseases. And no, there aren't vaccines for all the diseases that can kill baby-puppies. So until they are about 4 weeks old at least, there will be no interaction. And even then, I know there is no parvo on my place, but do I trust the breeder down the road? No. No, I am not going to lend a couple of 4 week old puppies out to some other breeder to help socialize their singleton. And I would say most breeders would feel that way.

As for putting in puppies that are say a week or a couple of weeks different to get that socialization that we are all fired up worried about, if the puppy is younger, it will learn all the wrong things from the other puppies. I did have a singleton once besides cupcake who had no issues that Wolfy-dog was talking about, but our concern with her was keeping her alive and getting her up to weight. The other single pup was born 3 weeks after a litter of 9 puppies. Having all 10 nozzles he grew at an enormous rate, and by the time he was walking with his eyes open, and good control of both -- 3 weeks, the other pups were 6 weeks old. And he was about as big as they were.

I put him in with them, just when I could supervise, and Bear was not thrilled with him being there but she tolerated him. The other pups were older, but not bigger, still the advantage was with the older puppies. I let them play together and carefully supervised.

Frankly, to have an outside breeder do this, you would have to be best of friends, and really, even if two best friends had litters days apart, a best friend would probably not ask a best friend to put her pups in jeopardy.

And, of course, having multiple litters at the same time, is probably something that most of knowledgeable folks here would frown on and try to make you question your breeder about. Not that there is anything wrong with having a couple of litters on the ground at the same time. But that is what the folks on this site do.

Dainnera, have you had a litter with a singleton puppy, and did you find a neighboring breeder that was willing to let you swap puppies or integrate into their litter?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 11-03-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
When Wolfy-dog made her comment, she did not know that the pup would not be raised as a singleton. It is like we immediately try to figure out reasons why someone should not buy the pup they picked out. It really is bursting one's bubble, considering the work in finding a breeder, then waiting for your pup to be born and out of the woods, and be being so excited to get a picture of the puppy. And then we say, "oh it's a singleton" or whatever other thing comes to mind to make someone question whether their choice is a good one.

I don't have input on the singleton issue, but I will say that I appreciate Selzer's positive input. Although I have found a ton of really great information and support on this forum, I often find it feels like commentators are l looking to find criticism for either a) the choice of dog, b) the choice of breeder c) the choice of training. Yes, this is a public forum and we post here to get opinions both positive and negative, but too often it seems to turn into a search for ways to criticize or point out imperfection.

It's great to get expert advice, but its also nice to share a puppy picture and be a part of that excitement.

Beautiful puppy @PJay -- Share lots of pictures of her as her coat comes in!

"For creatures of the wild: those who ride, grow, protect, challenge, forage, and create.
For anyone inspired by owning as little as possible.
And for anyone who's touched ocean floor or mountain air and liked it."
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Oh my goodness, that is an adorable puppy! I had to wait years before I was in a position to get my GSDs, so I know how excited you must be be. Keep us updated.
selzer likes this.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
Wolfy thanks for the heads up. The breeder explained the possible socialization issues that a litter of one could have. She had a litter of 9 born a day before this pup came. She moved 2 from that litter to lighten the load and put them with my pups mom so she would have littermates to socialize with. She said that my pups mom took to them immediately so they are being raised with my pup.

Selzer thankyou as well. I think she looks great and thankfully our breeder is on top of making sure she is socialized by moving those other 2 pups. I was worried a litter of 3 would still be too small but i was reassured it was fine.
No worries then
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
It would be a good idea to research the 'one puppy issue' as these pups miss out on the needed interactions and lessons from their litter mates. I have had several in my classes over the years and they were not easy for their owners.
I personally will not take in a single pup.Just wanted to give this heads up.
It really depends.

When my folks were looking into getting a Jack Russell Terrier mom (retired show) and son (surprise litter of one), the breeder made sure to socialize the son with older puppies from a previous litter. It may not be the same interaction that you'd see from littermates, but a good breeder can definitely socialize the dog before the new owners get it. I think they had to wait 8-10 weeks to get the pair. We were originally planning on getting just the mom, but then she gave birth so we ended up getting both.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbale View Post
You, my friend, have a longcoat. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.germanshepherds.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

You can tell because at around 4 weeks they get a mohawk between their ears (the fur stands up really straight and longer than a stock coat). Sometimes it's hard to tell, but sometimes it's not and I'd bet money she's a longcoat.

Very cute and congratulations! How did the breeder choose this one pup for you? Usually, pups are chosen at around 6 weeks or so.
You were absolutely right! She is a long coat and im absolutely excited. She is adorable! She comes home in 10 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	39750_1510707292387.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	934.2 KB
ID:	459874  
kimbale, silentbob1981 and Hellish like this.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Master Member

What a cutie! Congrats!

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:27 PM

oh my gosh, what a sweetheart, I am so happy for you. I hope you flood the boards with pictures!! lol

The Lovely Wiena 4/14/2005 - 9/6/2017
You are my Heart Dog and I miss you so much
we'll do High 5's when next we meet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page