Puppy Petting Without Asking - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 125Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Anticipate when someone is going to rush you and tell them no. You need to know who is around you and observe who is looking at your dog. No matter how cute a puppy is, no one who see you out with the dog has the right to touch your dog.
Well yes but ... to "anticipate" ... is an acquired skill. And generally speaking folks who walk people luv'ing dogs/puppies and have no problem allowing people to pet them, are more annoyed than concerned with people petting there dogs without asking first!

I've had both, "Please Do Pet" puppies and "Hands Off" dogs. And yes anticipation is "key." In both cases yes,you do have to be alert. And my standard was always to anticipate and stop about five feet away and "most" people would stop also or at least slow there roll. Then they can ask me first. With my Banddog and my "Boxer" the answer was "always" ... please do.

But yes, ask me first. No one has the right to "Pet" someone else's dog... AFAIK???

When I had my clearly "Bite Risk" dog aka "Rocky" I had to step it up a notch. And then it was ... "Hyper Vigilance." I had to "anticipate" and in addition to stopping at my given distance ... I would also step in front of my dog. And then they were "forced" to ask me first. I never said a word ... it just became apparent ... that there would be a conversation first! Most of the time with "Rocky my GSD ... the answer was most often "NO" to my I pet?? And I would explain ... "he is in training." And he was ... "he was being trained not to bite the crap out of people." I'd leave that part out of the conversation.

And the "do not pet vest???" I'll simply say ... I don't put a lot of faith in people's ability to "Read and Comprehend" on the fly.
Coleen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
hahaha!! Truer words were never spoken. I confess I myself have been absolutely guilty of this a time or two. And yep - be prepared to throw some elbows if need be.
I don't let most adults pet my dogs anymore. Ive seen them do to many stupid things from screeching and running at them to jacking them in the back of the head repeatedly because "my dog likes that!". Yeah I bet your doesn't like that.

Kids are welcome to treat them anytime.
LuvShepherds and Chip18 like this.

post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs are not public property. People aren't allowed to come hug and kiss your toddlers. They aren't allowed to touch your dog without asking. It's obnoxious. It has nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with personal space and common courtesy.
angelas, Deb, ksotto333 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Jax08; 03-31-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinchcl View Post
Then if your dog is not properly trained, it should not be in the public

I am very happy that you are comfortable with everyone touching and petting your puppy, that's your right. Being trained is not the issue here, puppies have to go out to learn how to behave.

Puppies are babies, they can be overwhelmed by too many people leaning down over them and touching, petting and cooing at them. Who would let everyone do that to their child as an infant or a toddler?

It is respectful to ask before touching anything that belongs to someone else. Sometimes people forget that. I always leave it up to my puppy if she wants to be petted by someone. I'll tell her to say hi. If she doesn't go over to them, they may not go to her, then I tell them sorry, not today, maybe next time. Sometimes she would go and sometimes not. But I do not force my puppies to be petted and touched by strangers unless they are comfortable and want to be petted.

As a young pup Enya did NOT want to be petted by anyone. She wasn't afraid at all, just not interested. At about three and a half months she decided she loved it. At eight months she's going back to sometimes yes and sometimes no. Though to be honest the only ones who ask now are those who know her. No one else has asked to pet her in about two months.
LuvShepherds, Chip18 and cloudpump like this.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

One trainer advised to idiot-proof your pup (by owner). Touch the pup unexpectedly, gently pull on tail and ears and feed a treat immediately. This paid of big time in the past when a nursery employee saw my Pit mix male (3 years old), walked over, knelt, squealed (Oh, you're so cuuuuuute!) and hugged him frontally without giving him the chance to meet. The dog knew what idiots do and remained neutral/friendly, being the wisest of all of us.
Chip18 and Femfa like this.
post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
If you don't want your dog to get attention or be petted by strangers, then don't take them to populated public areas. If you do, people will be wanting to pet your dog. Shame on you for acting so arrogant to think someone can't pet your dog. "No one has the right to touch your puppy" please dont be so arrogant. I get it, if you are training or if it is a service dog than it's a different situation and for the most part these trainers are well aware of where to bring and not bring their pets to avoid this. But for the regular Joes with house pets which is 99% of us all, get off your high horses.. I have 3 small kids and a couple of dogs and have been on both sides of the equation for that scenario. I would never not let someone touch my dog. The only time i would say anything if the dog looked uncomfortable or if someone was being rough with my pet.. OP I get your debacle but not alot of the comments including this one..
Calling me names is not leading to a productive exchange. What if you were out with your child? Would you mind if a stranger runs up and grabs your child because it is so cute? Or a pregnant woman. Should anyone who wants to touch her stomach be allowed to? If you are a woman, can I grab your purse and touch it because I like it? Can I look inside? Dogs are open to be allowed to be touched or grabbed at by anyone in a store because the owner is there? That doesn't make sense to me. I work with a top trainer who said do not allow strangers to run up and touch your dog as it will disrupt your training. If I follow your rude criticism to a logical conclusion, then I should not be upset if a stranger touches my child, my stomach, my purse or my dog.

You are wrong about 99% of us being only pet owners. Maybe you are but there are a lot of us here who are doing more with our dogs or plan to.
angelas, Chip18, cloudpump and 2 others like this.

Last edited by LuvShepherds; 03-31-2017 at 01:53 PM.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Then if your dog is not properly trained, it should not be in the public
How are you supposed to train him to deal with the public if you're not in public?

OP, anticipate that people will want to pet your dog and control the situation. If someone really wants to pet the pup and the pup seems okay and is not overwhelmed, let them give a treat to the dog and praise the pup for handling the situation well.

And if you really don't want people touching the pup, just say "not right now" and explain that you're doing training. But please do not misrepresent the dog as a service dog, either by vest or by telling people it is in service training. That is not okay and it causes misconceptions for people with real service dogs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Dogs are not public property. People aren't allowed to come hug and kiss your toddlers. They aren't allowed to touch your dog without asking. It's obnoxious. It has nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with personal space and common courtesy.
EXACTLY.

It is so much more arrogant to assume a stranger wants you in their space. How self-centered do you have to be to think that your agenda is so important that you can disrupt someone else's day.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I HATE people who thoughtlessly insert themselves into a stranger's business because they feel entitled to that person's time and attention.
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
If you don't want your dog to get attention or be petted by strangers, then don't take them to populated public areas. If you do, people will be wanting to pet your dog. Shame on you for acting so arrogant to think someone can't pet your dog. "No one has the right to touch your puppy" please dont be so arrogant. I get it, if you are training or if it is a service dog than it's a different situation and for the most part these trainers are well aware of where to bring and not bring their pets to avoid this. But for the regular Joes with house pets which is 99% of us all, get off your high horses.. I have 3 small kids and a couple of dogs and have been on both sides of the equation for that scenario. I would never not let someone touch my dog. The only time i would say anything if the dog looked uncomfortable or if someone was being rough with my pet.. OP I get your debacle but not alot of the comments including this one..
Its very arrogant for someone to feel they have a right to touch my dog. My dog doesn't like you. My dog gets stressed out being touched. But you have the audacity to touch my dog to make yourself feel better? Buy your own dog to pet. You aren't allowed to pet my dog.

Snitches get stitches.
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well yes but ... to "anticipate" ... is an acquired skill. And generally speaking folks who walk people luv'ing dogs/puppies and have no problem allowing people to pet them, are more annoyed than concerned with people petting there dogs without asking first!

I've had both, "Please Do Pet" puppies and "Hands Off" dogs. And yes anticipation is "key." In both cases yes,you do have to be alert. And my standard was always to anticipate and stop about five feet away and "most" people would stop also or at least slow there roll. Then they can ask me first. With my Banddog and my "Boxer" the answer was "always" ... please do.

But yes, ask me first. No one has the right to "Pet" someone else's dog... AFAIK???
Everything I posted came right from my trainer who has a lot of working dog handling experience. I made an observation that people with GSD and other similar dog experience always approach cautiously and with common sense. Even my trainer didn't just walk in and grab my dog. He observed from a few minutes from a distance to decide how to approach. So I have to assume anyone who runs up to my dog doesn't know what they are doing.
Coleen and kimbale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page