German Shepherds Forum banner

Puppy chews that are safe and he will actually like?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  karlakinsky 
#1 ·
We have a 9 week GSD puppy and want to find safe and long lasting chews that he will actually like ... (other than my hand that is.) :grin2:Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I always buy large bully sticks when I have a puppy. They love them.

#4 ·
We have the same problem, can’t find anything that holds up to our dogs abuse. Had no idea what “bully sticks” were and almost died laughing when Google landed me on bestbullysticks.com. Turns out these things come in all sizes, thin, standard, thick, and yes… jumbo. Or if you prefer there are 6’, 12’, 18’, braided, specialty and odor free. Sigh…

The initial chuckle stage passed and I got serious about making a decision. Given my dog’s ability to destroy anything short of a BF Goodrich tire, I was leaning toward the 12” Monster described as 94 grams of dog chewing fun. And as I’m fishing out my CC to make my first “bull pizzle purchase” I noticed the origin of the FlopaDoodle Dog Toy (under the “Big Shrimpy” section) is China. (I swear, I’m not making any of this up.)

So now I’m not sure about his site. They make a big deal about promoting their products as made in the USA but not all the products on their site are such. I supposed the argument can be made that they sell products from both countries but the menu buttons at the top of the site indicate USA, not USA/China, so it’s ambiguous at best and perhaps deliberately misleading.

I’d like to find something for them to chew on but unless someone has some bully stick references, looks like my dogs will have to remain pizzle free pouches. :wink2:

#5 ·
My adult dogs don't get bully sticks. They will go through one in 30 minutes. Instead, they get raw knuckle bones. That lasts a little bit longer.

Reactions: squerly
#7 · (Edited)
I like the Himalayan chews they are made out of yak milk. Bark worthies put them out. Expensive 3 for 20 but I remember it use to be two for twenty. They can break on the hard floor but the good thing is of that happens you can microwave the small piece and it expands and makes a nice treat. First time I gave a bully stick was last week - our pup threw up a few hours later her last meal and the undigested bully stick which looked like it was almost whole or half and looked like unraveled raw hide.Raw bones are good the knuckle bone is suppose to be better for their teeth then the harder marrow bone. Whimzees dog chews. A small didn't towel soaked in water then frozen is good for those irritated gums. I also like to take the core out of an apple remove all seeds and stuff it with peanut butter (without the toxic sugar xylitol) and freeze it which makes a nice soothing treat for those irritated gums.

#8 ·
Oh yes, and regarding bully sticks. They WILL give your dog horrible breath. We found an excellent remedy by giving our puppy a leaf or two of mint or basil after he's done. Freshens his breath and is a nice source of anti-oxidants and vitamins. Do a test with a small piece first to make sure your dog isn't allergic to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.