Advice on how not to step on puppy (unpredictable puppy moves) needed! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Advice on how not to step on puppy (unpredictable puppy moves) needed!

Hello world,

So my puppy (8/9 weeks) has been doing great on training and socialization since I brought her back approx 10 days ago. The problem is that she is so energetic and she follows me and circles around my feet (or bite my feet and let me drag her along) wherever I walk when she is out of crate. That is not a problem by itself and I admit I am secretly flattered. BUT I have accidentally stepped on her toes/tails 3 times in the last 10 days. I tried my best to pay attention but she is so jumpy, persistent, and unpredictable.

Today's accident has been the worst, I was carrying hot noodle soup to dining table and she jumped at me (which I avoided), but then she turned and walked in front of me so suddenly I stepped on her toes! She screamed and I moved my foot assp, and she seems to not mind that at all afterwards, but it was so dangerous --- I could have spilled the hot soup on her or myself! The previous two incidents happened outside. One time, She was biting my shoes while I tried to walk to a bench, dragging her along the way since she won't let go of my shoes(I tried to pull her away but then she would bite my hand which hurts and leaves marks!), then suddenly she let go of my shoes and jumped in front of me and I stepped on her. The first time was similar --- I accidentally kicked her after she suddenly jumped in front of my way.

Her unpredictable movements really get me worried. Not only this, she suddenly turns/runs/jumps on a leash as well (especially when other people pass by, she loves to greet everyone) --- this gets me worried about causing damage to her neck as well as her toes/tails! So any advice on calming this crazy puppy energy, if not any advice on how not to hurt a puppy when she is going through this crazy stage?

Thanks for reading thus far, she is the first puppy to be trained and raised by me alone and I really want to make sure I do not do anything wrong that will affect her neck/toes/tails years later. I already registered for puppy class, but it is so full that I need to wait until Sep 10, some advice to guide me through before meeting up with her trainer would be very appreciated
J

p.s. Though not a major problem, any advice on how to carry a puppy without her licking/biting on my face would also be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2016-08-24 at 23.41.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	382361  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM
Crowned Member

the "puppy shuffle" you learn to more slide your feet vs taking actual steps Plus, she'll learn that jumping around your feet gets her toes stepped on and learn to keep a bit more out of the way.
Now's the time to teach lesson like not circling your feet and jumping on your legs because it definitely won't be cute when she's 70lbs
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:50 AM

I second the "puppy shuffle"

Also, unless outside or at work, I try not to wear shoes with super hard soles around him, and usually go barefoot inside.

Whenever I'm cooking over a hot stove or carrying something hot/heavy/dangerous he goes in his crate just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM

Same issue here. My Zulu is a very playful puppy - husband has stepped on him out in the yard, so have both the kids...not on purpose but the "hey play with me or I will trip you" ploy. I have made it our routine - if I am fixing dinner, eating dinner, or doing the dishes - to the kennel he goes!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM

Like others have stated, get in the habit of shuffling your feet when she is around but I would start training on your own. At least teach her the "place" command.

Its basically a command that says "go on a dog bed and stay there until you are released' - It teaches the dog a couple things and you will be thankful for this as she gets older, one being a calmer state of mind and secondly impulse control. Another benefit is showing the dog it doesnt have to follow you around every second they are out of the crate, this can lead to separation anxiety. Have patience starting out... its a puppy and won't be able to do long duration of place initially. Eventually as the dog ages, it can stay on there for hours if needed

I have a video of the place command here, its the 3rd video down on the left
JunYue97 likes this.

Sage - Sable GSD - DOB: 8/20/15
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

My only advice...

Look Down. Often.
ksotto333, dogma13 and carlock like this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, the puppy shuffle! Always know where they are and if you are busy; crate time. Barefoot? Not so much in the land shark stage . I always wear shoes to protect my feet, not even flip flops in the presence of the bite monsters.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 03:20 PM
Crowned Member

Big dogs will trip you too. You have to know where your dog is at all times. Eventually, you can teach them to move out of the way, but mine has stepped in front of me suddenly. It happens.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

Constant Vigilance!!! You have a puppy! Congratulations. Protect yourself at all times!

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 06:57 PM

As far as your concern about injury to her neck while on leash, I personally prefer to have a pup this young in a harness for this exact reason. I would recommend a no-pull harness, as the traditional style actually encourages pulling, which you will definitely not want down the road. I like the harnesses that have a leash ring on the front of the chest.
JunYue97 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page