Broken canines - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Broken canines

So on a happy good, Bear has officially lost his first tooth.. On a possibly bad note, all of his canines have broken tips, not in half or anything, just the tips.. Should I be concerned? He hasn't showed any signs of discomfort? They're going to fall out anyways.. Just curious if it poses any risks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amburger16 View Post
So on a happy good, Bear has officially lost his first tooth.. On a possibly bad note, all of his canines have broken tips, not in half or anything, just the tips.. Should I be concerned? He hasn't showed any signs of discomfort? They're going to fall out anyways.. Just curious if it poses any risks
Does it look like root is showing (or any inside part like red)? If so I would call the vet, if not you probably don't need to be worried (but can still call if you are). Wick broke his too but since it didn't bother him and the root wasn't showing they said it was fine and just let it fall out normally.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 PM

hi..if he is a pupp. he will surely remove his baby teeth and get new ones.adult ones.dont worry.after adult teeth once come they never grow again.he will drop his canines suddenly and you will not even notice.i think you need to be a little carefull with playing with him.just for information when we brought a 3 mo gsd female.she broke her canine at the same day after she bit my pants.the other one got broken when my father and accidently hit her canine with a piece of wood.when they dropped i collected them and put into a jar.and surprisingly i was the 1st one in the whole town to know about teething process.puppy tooth are sharp but not strong.we should be carefull about gum infections.let him chew on some toys.maybe should note the time when they will drop and when they grow back again.

Last edited by wolfblood; 06-17-2015 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick View Post
Quote:
Does it look like root is showing (or any inside part like red)? If so I would call the vet, if not you probably don't need to be worried (but can still call if you are). Wick broke his too but since it didn't bother him and the root wasn't showing they said it was fine and just let it fall out normally.
No roots and no blood, so I'll just keep an eye on them for now. He goes to the vet for shots next week. I'm constantly pulling rocks out of his mouth, so I would imagine that has something to do with it. Thanks!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usama hassan View Post
hi..if he is a pupp. he will surely remove his baby teeth and get new ones.adult ones.dont worry.after adult teeth once come they never grow again.he will drop his canines suddenly and you will not even notice.i think you need to be a little carefull with playing with him.just for information when we brought a 3 mo gsd female.she broke her canine at the same day after she bit my pants.the other one got broken when my father and accidently hit her canine with a piece of wood.when they dropped i collected them and put into a jar.and surprisingly i was the 1st one in the whole town to know about teething process.puppy tooth are sharp but not strong.we should be carefull about gum infections.let him chew on some toys.maybe should note the time when they will drop and when they grow back again.

I know the teething process, was just curious what to look out for. I don't want him in pain as canines are the last to come out usually.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Elite Member

Ruger broke one of his canines at about 3 months old, they didn't fall out for 2 months after that, but he was fine. As long as its not bothering him, he should be good

-Tara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ruger, GSD - 11/18/14
Ember, GSD - 2/24/16
Jasmine, Rottie- 1/2004
Neko, black cat - 4/16/08 : 9/17/17
Nero, black cat - 5/18/08 : 11/19/17
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No roots and no blood, so I'll just keep an eye on them for now. He goes to the vet for shots next week. I'm constantly pulling rocks out of his mouth, so I would imagine that has something to do with it. Thanks!
Yeah I wouldn't be worried if it was me, the vet was extremely not worried about it when I talked to them about ours. Wicks broke during a game of tug of war with the flirt pole, I felt so bad!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:48 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger Monster View Post
Ruger broke one of his canines at about 3 months old, they didn't fall out for 2 months after that, but he was fine. As long as its not bothering him, he should be good
Yeah ours didn't fall out for another 2 months either, in fact it was his 2nd to last baby tooth haha.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't be worried if it was me, the vet was extremely not worried about it when I talked to them about ours. Wicks broke during a game of tug of war with the flirt pole, I felt so bad!
I haven't played much tug with him because of that, I would feel so horrible, even though I know it's bound to happen, I just hold it loose and let him pull. Another two were looking like they are about to come out when I checked before I went to work this morning, he is officially 4 months today. I feel stupid about it but it's so exciting he's grown so much in 2 months
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't played much tug with him because of that, I would feel so horrible, even though I know it's bound to happen, I just hold it loose and let him pull. Another two were looking like they are about to come out when I checked before I went to work this morning, he is officially 4 months today. I feel stupid about it but it's so exciting he's grown so much in 2 months
Yay! Happy 4 months !! I know isn't it crazy how quick they grow?!? I wish I had taken more pics when Wick was super little. We saved all his baby teeth he lost but then I lost the bag!!! So he really "lost" them all lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page