rethinking "popular" early socialization - Page 24 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:30 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We have several good off leash areas here, the pictures I posted above are all from Point Isabel, which is almost 50 acres on the San Francisco Bay. It's one of the largest in the country and gets over a million visitors a year. We live about a half hour away, and used to go every weekend. There was an article about it in The Bark: Great Dog Parks: Point Isabel, CA | The Bark

I found this video online, which just happens to feature several GSDs:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I went to our local dog park for exposure( outside the fence) and right away i knew I would never enter that place unless I was alone or with some one I trusted. It looked like the worst playground dynamics ever.... bully dog running around literally plowing over dogs, and scared,shy dogs hiding behind their owners. One owner carried their dog to the middle of the park , where it immediately got trounced upon , and it retreated to a corner.

Anyways I wanted to know if there was actual studies or research of if its just alot of anecdotal evidence that dogs that don't play with other dogs grow up to be just fine.
Ugh, I wouldn't ever go to a place like that either. I don't think it's necessary for dogs to play with other dogs indiscriminately, but if you have friends with nice dogs it's fun to get them together and let them romp, such as Raisedbyshepherds describes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisedbyshepherds View Post
I do not believe in the whole early socialization thing...interaction.
Quote:
So for me I just dont believe dogs need to be forced to play with other dogs.
We have a friend with a good older dog who comes to our house and plays with our dogs. But they know him and enjoy him.
Remember that socialization is about exposure, not necessarily interaction. I think most people agree with you that it's not a good idea to force dogs to play with other dogs.

-Debbie-
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #233 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
We have several good off leash areas here, the pictures I posted above are all from Point Isabel, which is almost 50 acres on the San Francisco Bay. It's one of the largest in the country and gets over a million visitors a year. We live about a half hour away, and used to go every weekend. There was an article about it in The Bark: Great Dog Parks: Point Isabel, CA | The Bark
Remember when that was just an open area behind the post office?
carmspack likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 03:04 PM

That was before our time, Steve. We started going there in the Fall of 2000, with Cassidy. The cafe wasn't there and Mudpuppy's was in a portable building, but it was already a very heavily used off leash park by then.

-Debbie-
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #235 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if it is good or not for puppies to play with other puppies beyond a certain age. It's fun to watch them, but I think it makes outtings to obedience classes kind of a bore. What they want to be doing is wrestling and playing and running and chasing.

Which makes Susie even more of an ogre when she takes the pup to obedience classes and makes him sit and down and walk past all these other doggies that would just love to run and play.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #236 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I don't know if it is good or not for puppies to play with other puppies beyond a certain age. It's fun to watch them, but I think it makes outtings to obedience classes kind of a bore. What they want to be doing is wrestling and playing and running and chasing.

Which makes Susie even more of an ogre when she takes the pup to obedience classes and makes him sit and down and walk past all these other doggies that would just love to run and play.
In my current group class, the instructor let two of the dogs play together after the lesson. He quickly recognized his mistake the next time we met, because the dogs were not interested in working, they wanted to play. I once heard of someone described a puppy class where the pups played first and then did some structured learning. I can't imagine that working very well, unless they are working with pups with a 5 second attention span. And then really, how much is the pup learning?
selzer likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #237 of 242 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
That was before our time, Steve. We started going there in the Fall of 2000, with Cassidy. The cafe wasn't there and Mudpuppy's was in a portable building, but it was already a very heavily used off leash park by then.
Yeah, Costco wasn't even there yet. Lol. When I'd take my dog in the truck with me, I'd stop off there to walk around and use the pay phones. No cell phone then either.

Doc

post #238 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudes mom View Post

If we are talking about socializing with other dogs, I haven't done that. Everyone I know with dogs, doesn't have a dog I would want my dog to grow up to be like
THIS! Now I have zero experience bc we are getting our puppy in 11 days and trying to figure out what her socialization will look like..But one of the first things I thought was, I don know anyone who has an adult dog that's a great example of a well trained dog. Kinda sad.
post #239 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl View Post
THIS! Now I have zero experience bc we are getting our puppy in 11 days and trying to figure out what her socialization will look like..But one of the first things I thought was, I don know anyone who has an adult dog that's a great example of a well trained dog. Kinda sad.
it is sad, but not hopeless. When my boy was a pup my neighbors had aloof dogs who had no interest in messing with the energy of a large young pup. We had to deal with some leash frustration because my boy wanted to meet and greet. Successful passes of other dogs meant that we humans would stop and play, he and I or he and my hubby. It was a nice reward for good behavior. Over the years he learned that he could watch other dogs but not expect to visit them nose to nose. It took time and maturity to get to this point.

Once our gal dog was old enough to play together with our boy that helped with that desire to play like a dog. Both still are curious to meet other dogs but they have learned that playing with a strange dog is a very rare occurrence. There just aren't that many dogs we want to set up play dates with.
az_girl likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #240 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl View Post
I don't know anyone with a dog. That said my puppy is going to make a great adult dog who is a fantastic example of a well trained dog for my next puppy someday.

Yea I am hooked.
az_girl and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page