German Shepherds Forum banner

safe alone time chews

874 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  vwitt 
#1 ·
My 10 month old (maybe 11?) is very oral and wants to chew ALL THE TIME. I am fine while I am at home to watch him giving him some random things to chomp on, but I work 8 hour days, is there any chew/chew toy that is safe to put in his crate with him? He is chewing up his bed, anything that he can maneuver in the crate with him (he chewed up a pair of shorts that were sitting on top of the crate, I am sure he would try to destroy his water dish if it wasn't stainless still LOL.

#3 ·
Our trainer has told us to err on the safe side and nothing is to go into the crate if you aren't there to supervise (even a super durable black Kong/Nylabone/etc.). Not even a bed or towel. Seems sort of harsh, but especially since your dog is a chewer, what happens if your dog chews the top off that Kong and swallows it, and you come back home to find your dog dead from asphyxiation? Or you leave a Nylabone in there and come back home to find half of it missing and have to take your dog to the emergency vet because you're not sure if it's going to puncture his stomach?

Is your dog crated the entire 8 hours you're at work?

#4 ·
unless I go home for lunch he is, and I don't go home often as it is too far of a drive. He gets exercise in the morning before I go to work, usually with a flirt pole or just playing fetch for awhile as well as he helps me with my horse 'chores', then after work he gets more play time, etc. He doesn't sleep well at night, I am assuming because he sleeps all day, but he is getting better about that. I am not willing to take his bed out of his crate, I wouldn't want to lay on a hard surface for 8 hours. I gave him a nylabone and he doesn't like it at all, I will have to see if I can find a black kong. I think if I find one I can stuff with kibble he will be happy, I need one that takes effort to get it out though.

#5 ·
If your dog doesn't chew on the bedding, then it shouldn't be a problem. But it's on you if he decides to rip it apart and eat it and gets an obstruction from it. Same with any of the other toys; but there are some choices that are safer than others.

Black kong would be a good choice. Shove some kibble in there, spread peanut butter on the opening and freeze the night before. You can also spread peanut butter on a Nylabone and freeze as well. I think antlers might be safe enough too; harder than a bone and won't splinter or fracture.

Stay away from anything with a squeaker, stuffing, rope toys, cloth/fabric, etc. and consider looking into a dog walker or daycare for your dog. 8 hours crated up is a long time; even taking lunch to go let him out or finding someone that can let him out would make a world of difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.