My soul mate dog, a GSD. (A long story!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

My soul mate dog, a GSD. (A long story!)

Hello Friends!

I'm new to the forums and firstly want to say that I love the community! From the posts I've read, everyone is so supportive and helpful. This is my first post and it's about my very first GSD. Before I start his story I want to give a little background, just a little warning this will probably be a long post! I plan to keep updating it as he grows, and as we grow as owners. Onto the background...

I live in WV with my Hubbs and two sons (11 and 7), we have two small dogs (a Shih`Tzu and a Pomeranian both full blooded but adopted not purchased). The Hubbs and I have both wanted a GSD most of our lives but never had the opportunity to get one. We had taken in our older dogs as favors to family. They're both 6 1/2 now. But we did not want to bring another dog into our house since we already had two.

Over the years, we've spoken about our love for the GSD breed and how badly we want one. The day after Easter we got a call from my step mother in law saying, "Can you take a German Shepherd puppy? My son bought one for his daughter but his wife says it has to go, if you can't take it she's taking it to the pound."

We talked about it for maybe 30 seconds... Could this be our puppy? A full blooded baby GSD for free? Can we let this baby go to the pound? Really it didn't take 30 seconds to know, we were taking this dog. We had no notice, the guy brought the dog over that day. We live two hours apart but he made the drive to us. Within three hours of the phone call we had our new baby.

Now I can get on to the part about our soul mate puppy... Simply put, this dog has been amazing. He has been the easiest puppy to house break, he caught on so quickly. He loves to go to the park for leisurely walks. Our sons have fallen in love with him and he fits in perfectly with our older dogs.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why anyone would give this dog away but I'm so glad they did. He's a puppy so he does like to chew on things, we give him a rope and a squeaky toy and he will go to town on those things. He also whines a bit when he's put in the kennel to sleep at night but only for a little bit and then he just lays down.

His name is Interceptor and he's 8 weeks and two days old. A lot of people have asked why we chose that name and I'll explain that too. We are video game nerds and both the Hubbs and I grew up playing a game called Final Fantasy. There's a dog on there (I believe it's actually a Doberman though) and his name is Interceptor. So we got it from there!

As I said before, I'm new to the forums but I am going to try and figure out how to attach a few photos! A lot of them are blurry because #1 - I took them with my phone and #2 - He moves ALL the time!

This is Inny sleeping with Zach, my youngest.

This is Inny-Ceppy sleeping after a walk at the park. He sleeps a lot LOL!

Here he is meeting our Pom for the first time, she's come around since then!

Sleeping with the Hubbs - See what I mean? Always tired lol!

Enjoying the sunshine!

Sitting with Momma

OK I think that's enough for now, I'll try to update weekly if I can remember! =) If not you can always find me and more photos on Facebook at - https://www.facebook.com/hrhodes8137
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Elite Member

Aww!!! Welcome to the forum! Inny is absolutely adorable!

RIP Sebastian, Baby, Cheyenne, Baxter. Gone but never forgotten.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

He's a cutie!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! He's been a blessing that's for sure. It's so fun to watch his little personality develop day by day! =)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM

welcome and so glad you got the puppy of your dreams Love the pics very very cute

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Aww he's so gorgeous :-D they grow so fast so enjoy every second of puppyhood :-D Welcome.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Congrats! He's really cute! Sounds like it was ment to be!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Puppy falling into your lap is the best way. Congrats are a pretty boy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM

He is lucky to have so many people who love him. What a pretty boy! I love his "eyebrows".
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the kind and warm welcome!

Last night was his 7th night here and he slept didn't whine at all when I put him in the kennel and he slept all night without complaining one bit. I knew being persistent would pay off! He seems to drink a lot and pee all the time and I'm hoping that's a normal German Shepherd puppy thing. I just let him drink as often as he wants and be sure to take him out at least once every hour. Seems to be working so far!

The kiddos and Hubbs are back to work/school today and I'm hoping to get him on a regular walk schedule. He doesn't really like the the leash but he does love being outside, I'm hoping persistance will pay off in that area too. I'd love to be able to take him running with me when he's fully grown. I think I read you shouldn't run them before 18 months? I usually walk him now until he's done and that's been anywhere from half a mile to up to a full mile (once). It's a slooooow walk but we enjoy it!

Thank you again everyone, you are all so sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page