A dog's passing...irrational reason not to get one? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

A dog's passing...irrational reason not to get one?

Hey all,

I'm searching for a GSD puppy to bring into my family. In an attempt to cover every base I can, I have been considering how my family and I would react to the death of our dog.

I have a tendency to get very attached to those close to me. Of course, I'm anticipating my puppy and I to be very close and therein lies a major hurdle for me to leap before I get comfortable bringing a puppy home. I can't help but think of the dreadful day when my dog leaves me. I'm not sure how I'd react but it goes without saying that I'd be heart broken. Is this something I want to subject my family and me to? Is it rational a reason to avoid purchasing a puppy?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM

My coworker and I have discussed this many times, and it is a rational reason in my opinion. I still feel it is worth the joy in having the dog to suffer the pain of losing it, but I know my coworker is to the point where she feels she cannot go through the loss again.
My feeling is that death is a part of life (the worst part), but you cannot stop living in order to avoid it. In my case I feel life will be more full having pets. Our English Bulldog just died in December, and I am overall happy to have been able to share in such a special, though short, life.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Master Member

I have had this thought a few times. Actually I have had this thought about my own family... this was after I realized just how vulnerable I felt loving and worrying about my husband and children.

I have lost people before, my grandmother, a cousin and other distant family members but never someone I shared an everyday life with. Never some one so close to me that I couldnt breath with out them.

About 2 years after my husband and I got married the thought came to me that if I had ever REALLY lost someone close to me I wouldnt have been willing to love my husband. Sometimes I wish (only sometimes) that I never did simply because it comes to mind that one day I will lose him. I feel that way about my children too. Loving people/animals is just asking for pain. Welcoming it even.

I dont know that I would do it again knowing what I know and feeling what I feel now. Its amazing to me even now that some times I love them so much I am over come and my heart actually hurts from the love.

I dont think its irrational at all. Its a serious consideration imo. I wont let it stop me from getting a dog though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

If we live our lives in fear of the sad times we will never get to experience the joy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM

It's super tough to lose your best friend, your dog.
I think maybe even harder than losing a person sometimes.
Amazingly it works both ways too...

the funeral of Petty Officer 1st Class Jon Tumilson

But if I had let that stop me from getting another dog what an even sadder day that would have been.

I would have missed out on the pure joy of having Sheba, Essie, Shadow, Kazar, Maybelline and Good Golly Miss Molly to share my life with.
A couple of them are by my feet now.

That would indeed be sadder.
And there's nothing like a new puppy to get you past your anguish, nothing.

Sheba 1980s
Essie Gold Ret 1980s
Shadow 1993-2005
Kazar 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005-
Miss Molly 2011-2014
Zazzle 2014
Bigboy 2005-2016
Whiskey 2016-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM

I have lost quite a few dogs in my life, all from old age I will remember each one until the day I die, they have all left huge holes in my heart, but I cannot imagine my life without a dog(s) in it. Losing one is the worst part of owning one, but to have never had them in my life, it would have been a lonely one.

There is nothing like the love of a dog

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM

I feel that way about my children too.

This I agree totally with because if I lost either of my children then I feel like my life would be pretty much over. I could not get over it, ever. The loss of my husband would be very scary and devastating too, but nothing would be worse than the death of my child. I guess pets are different for me because I expect to outlive them.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Losing things is a part of living. It's horrible, but I won't let that stop me from living and enjoying my dog. I absolutely love my girl and I can't imagine how upset I will be when she passes. I will enjoy her while she is here and miss her when she is gone.

Gracie - GSD - May 3, 2011
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Banned

how do you know your dog is going to die
before you or your family members???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandAcharya View Post
Hey all,

I'm searching for a GSD puppy to bring into my family. In an attempt to cover every base I can, I have been considering how my family and I would react to the death of our dog.

I have a tendency to get very attached to those close to me. Of course, I'm anticipating my puppy and I to be very close and therein lies a major hurdle for me to leap before I get comfortable bringing a puppy home. I can't help but think of the dreadful day when my dog leaves me. I'm not sure how I'd react but it goes without saying that I'd be heart broken. Is this something I want to subject my family and me to? Is it rational a reason to avoid purchasing a puppy?

Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 PM

I had many years of fun and love with my last shepherd, and when it was his time to pass I was very sad. But that sadness went away shortly in comparison to the amount of good times I had with him. Now certain things will trigger memories, or I will just be thinking back on Rocky and remembering something about his life and it will make me miss him, but it doesn't make me sad. I have fond memories of him and our life together, and I don't regret any of it just because I had to be sad for a short bit afterwards.

I know the death of a pet can be heart breaking, the loss of any loved one is tough. But I've found that the sadness never lasts long enough to outweigh the happiness you had before the passing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page