Is raising a puppy really like raising a baby? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Is raising a puppy really like raising a baby?

As some of you may know, I plan on getting a GSD puppy in a cpl years. I just truned 16 a few days ago, and want a pup when I am 18.

I babysit my 12 month old cousin. I have been since she was 4 months old. Lately my sisters haven't been able to come and help. I babysit from 7 am - 5 pm. Lately babysitting has become a very hard task. She moves non-stop. And is always finding trouble. I get frustrated...but know that she doesn't understand.

Be honest, is it harder to raise a GSD puppy or baby?

I never knew that is was this hard to raise a baby... especially when she refuses to take her naps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

Harder to raise a baby.... because at least you can put a puppy in a crate and go to the store
But raising a puppy is no picnic. Watch them all of the time, you do NOT get to sleep in, you don't get to hang out with friends after work or class because puppy power is at home waiting on you.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:48 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
I babysit my 12 month old cousin. I have been since she was 4 months old. Lately my sisters haven't been able to come and help. I babysit from 7 am - 5 pm. Lately babysitting has become a very hard task. She moves non-stop. And is always finding trouble. I get frustrated...but know that she doesn't understand.
In many ways it's VERY much like taking care of your 12 month old cousin. Particularly in the part I put in bold. The fact you need to be present so you can teach and train is a HUGE factor in your scheduling and daily life.

We can (and do) use a crate which is a help. But, for me, that's when I am not able to be home and with my puppy. Or at night when I'm sleeping and not able to pay attention to what the puppy is up to.

But when I'm awake and home, most of the time, I'm in the same room with the puppy to help with the housemanners and training. And if not in the house, OUT of it with the puppy for all the training, classes, and socialization.

I've always LOVED dogs, but am glad I waited until out of college (plus a few years) to commit to one. That way I had the freedom to go out with my friends, be in classes, get a job.... and not have the added responsibility of a puppy.

There are tons of ways you can enjoy dogs/puppies without commiting to owning one. Helping out at local dogs clubs/classes. Volunteering at a shelter. Finding a breeder in your area and helping out (while learning) with all that involves.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Master Member

Never had a baby, but our new puppy is a tornado with A.D.D! If you don't have eyes always on him, he will have something bad for him in his mouth in a split second. A puppy is pretty exhausting. When you need a break and put him in the crate, your relaxing break consists of listening to the imaginary boogie man murdering your puppy. Hearing the puppy scream breaks my heart, I am literally 5 feet away, but somehow it hurts him so bad!

Make sure you are ready for a dog when you are 18, you will have to make a lot of sacrifices for the puppy/dog.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 AM

I have done both. Raised two kids and lots of dogs. I am now training a GSD. You CAN put a dog in a crate and get some rest and/or do your housework, or go out. But you get so attached you don't WANT to. The thing you have to realize too is that dogs will never think like an adult. You will always have a "child" as long as the dog lives. Sure they learn and adapt. But they just don't have the decision making ability humans do. So you are always the parent of a little on when you have a dog.

Diane from Georgia
Lizzie's mom
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

They are very much alike. You have to provide time, patience, money, love, commitment, tough love, sanity, ...dang, I could go on and on.

The biggest difference is that a puppy never looks at you like you are an idiot.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Hmm I think its more like a toddler in the terrible 2's and on. They are into everything they are not supposed to be if you dont watch them. Yes like everyone said with a puppy you can put them in a crate when you need a break but when they are out....constant supervision

Bailey Von Mills
Ishmeals shadow
Lycan Von Kimon Und Werseufer Blut
Bella Vom Haus Stelza
and 8 Spoiled Rat terriers
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

Yes, raising a puppy is a lot like raising a child. A puppy is easier in the sense that the stages don't last as long, so it's more accelerated. Sleeping through the night might only take a week with your new puppy, potty training only a month or so. But many of the troubles are the same as is the amount of time and things you need to do to make sure your puppy/baby is raised properly. I am a believer that both puppies and small children thrive on schedules. Very young puppies need attention every 3-4 hours. Within a couple of weeks they can go longer...but it's those first couple of months that have you tired, irritable, and wondering why you ever thought a puppy was a good idea. But also much like babies they are so gosh darn cure you'll forgive them...

Around 4-5 months is when my pups have started behaving like a toddler. Into things, busy all the time. Fussy when they don't get their way.

The good news is, around 8 months my dogs enter a "nearly perfect" phase. They're still puppies but now they have manners, know better what's expected, and generally a lot of fun. This lasts until about 14-18 months when they become "teenagers". Then they start ignoring you, forget all their commands, so they can do what they want!

Yep. Lot like having a kid!

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

I will not get a puppy unless I am ready, and have time to spare. I am used to a crazy schedule, and is things go like planned, I am sure that a Gsd will fit right in.

Right now...

-I babysit 3 times a week from 7am to 5pm.
-I am a part-time student at an online charter school (which is really hard, compared to public highschool). I have to juggle babysitting and getting my work done.
-We have two small family dogs, that are undergoing training.(by me).
-I want to join the track team, so I run for alteast 30 mintues everyday.
-I plan on volunteering at a dog training school,
and also will be starting drivers ed. July 4.

My life is hectic and my mom and gram expect a lot from us. I need to get a part time job, so I can get myself a car.

I want to become a proffessional dog trainer. I will not go to college, because I want more of an hands-on experience. I have met dog trainers, that have never gone to college, and they can train a dog better than anyone else. I am taking business classes in highschool next year, though, because I think it would be nice to have my own business.

I love running, hiking and swimming, and I am very active. My German Shepherd will be including in all of these activities. I really like the sport, schutzhund, and want to visit a seminar, to see if it is something I want to do.

A schedule of mine might look like...

5 am: wake up, let pup out, get ready

6 am: feed puppy, let out, little walk/games

7-12 pm: at work

12:15- come home, let pup out, eat lunch (pup and me), play, little walk

1 pm: let pup out, relax/play...computer time lol

2 pm: head out with pup, somewhere safe to socialize (family, pet store, ect.), maybe pup school...

4 pm: let pup out, play for few mintues and then pup goes in crate... I go out with sisters (1 hour max)

5 pm: watch movie...maybe invite friends over

This schedule would work for me and my pup...I dont have many friends...and like spending time with dogs better. My sisters would be able to let pup out when I am at work. And if they can't..I will find someone who can.

Last edited by K9_girl1994; 05-24-2010 at 10:25 AM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Sounds pretty good to me! I really like that you are giving this so much thought!

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/136132-raising-puppy-really-like-raising-baby.html
Posted By For Type Date
Difficult To Crate My 8 Week Old German Shepherd Pup | Pets Status This thread Refback 05-26-2010 12:54 PM
What To Feed German Shepherd Dog Forums | Pets Status This thread Refback 05-25-2010 05:28 AM