Puppy playing. Please advise - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Puppy playing. Please advise

My puppy is almost 14 weeks old. I need to know if playing with older dominant dogs is a bad thing. She has fun playing with A schnauzer/terrier mix (5yrsold) but I cant tell if its all fun and games. She plays like any other puppy would but the schnauzer is just showing teeth and standing her ground. Eventually mine would whine/bark and show submissive signs while playing. Is this normal? She has never hurt the smaller dogs but I ran into one about the same size as the schnauzer in the park and she wanted to jump all over it. I had to hold her back with the leash and I have no idea what it would have been like if i didn't.

She will be going to puppy classes as soon as her second vaccination shots are done, so I'm hoping that would help with playing. In the meantime, should i keep these dogs separate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Re: Puppy playing. Please advise

DONT !! puppies need to play with same age. safer, better play experience.
Play with no adults unitl at least 6 mths old. No Dog parks, No play with older dogs:

1. Usually adult Dogs have different agenda,.
2. Uninterrupted paly causes loss of attention to Owner
3. adults dogs dont like puppies nipping at faces, pulling at fur to get attention. it gets ugly..

Lead by example. Integrity is doing what is right even when no one is looking.

J R Marean
Yarest Von Wilhendorf - 11/03/2010
Dame der Gerechtigkeit Vom Haus Juris - 07/2009
Wolke Vom Mattenburcherland - 04/2006-07/2009 RIP (my love)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

I don't think that the schnauzer mix is a good dog to be playing with, it doesn't seem to be playful or puppy-tolerant and it could turn ugly against your pup.

BUT, I also disagree that puppies shouldn't be playing with adult dogs. Well-behaved, well-socialized adults are great for puppies to play with! They can play and still teach manners. My two don't care about having their faces/feet/tail/ears nipped or pulled on by a puppy. In general, adult dogs give puppies a 'pass' to be puppies when they're young and tolerate behavior that they would never tolerate from an adult dog. A well-adjusted adult dog may not necessarily be a playmate to a puppy, but they certainly shouldn't act aggressively to a puppy. A correction for being too rough or annoying is generally okay, aggression is not.

That means only dogs you know and are comfortable with should be allowed to play with your puppy. Avoid dog parks with a puppy, there are too many variables and you don't want a bad experience there. The puppy classes are great, as long as the other puppies aren't bad. If you have friends with good dogs have a careful introduction and maybe have playdates if they do well.

So, I would keep her away from the schnauzer mix because it does not sound like it will tolerate puppy antics and could turn out badly, but that doesn't mean she should be kept away from adult dogs altogether. Definitely keep on working on leash manners so she doesn't try to run up to other dogs, she is still young though and it will take awhile to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I figured as much...the playing didn't seem normal.

I will keep them separate until my GSD matures.

Any advice on leash control? She just started barking a couple days ago and now my puppy walking is a different experience. Currently I walk as if seeing another dog is no big deal. Sometimes I'll just start running and that usually is enough to distract her. Should I just keep doing things to distract her when shes barking? (running/treats/etc)

And what is considered an adult dogs? She visits with a lab mix as well as a pure lab ages 1-2yrs every week. They seem fine and playful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page