photographers-questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

photographers-questions

I've always had a passion for photography and took 2 years of schooling for it, I do know how to develope black and white film, although I will not be using film, but more digital, and maybe film if so desired from customers.

I've been talking about starting up a photography business focussing on mainly animals/pets, since we do not have anything like that in my area. I already have cameras (3), lenses (6), back drops, photo printer, scanner, and of course the natural beauty of my area. I'm thinking about going to the local humane society and volunteer my time to take photo's of the animals there to help with their online gallery and adoptions to kind of get some more training in, as if I do that I will continue to do that regardless of where my business goes. I know I'll need a local working permit. We already have insurance as far as dog bites (hope that doesn't happen).

My question is...What more will I need to do? How would one go about advertising besides online/ Local newspaper, magazines?
How does one price their settings/photography? Do you print or send off to print? Thanks for any info you may have to offer in advance, and I promise I will or would never steal anyones paying customers!

Just a few pics, tell me what you think! I do realize working with 'other' animals will be a bit of a challenge, but I really know I can handle it!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Re: photographers-questions

You could PM katieliz, she is a photographer and does AWESOME pet portraits! She might have some tips.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

Love the pup on the chair photo and the last!

I love taking photos also. How about getting in touch with your teachers on some of these questions, sometimes they have their own businesses.

On the photos you might try getting on the dogs level - more eye to eye instead of above. Waiting for that special gleem in their eye. As with the pup on the chair make the copy a close up - could be a great greeting card

Good luck and I am sure more people will give you some great advise on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the info!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

Second one, and last two -- What stands out? You're on the same level as the animal & they use the frame nicely. What you need to keep in mind is "perspective" - Almost anyone can shoot a dog from "standing human" perspective. People aren't going to be excited about a shot they could take themselves. The double exposure is a neat idea but this one didn't mesh right for me.

Back in the 80s there was a series of books out on how to market Photography/Art etc. (One for each topic) Check you library & mentally update the info. You might also get in touch with some local dog clubs and ask about what it would take to be their show photographer. Maybe get your name in just in case something happens and their photographer doesn't show up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I would go to shows and matches. They usually have official photographers, but I go to lots of shows, trials, and matches and take tons of pics for practice or for friends who are showing. The more I do it, the better I get at movement shots, learning to predict the dog's movement so I can get the best shot.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the tips. The photo that appears to be double exposure, was actually them looking out the front door, as I was outside and you could see the reflection of the porch through the glass, so it's not a double exposure, but I do appreciate your honesty and opinion's and tips and am in no way offended, I find this as a learning process, I have several things I need to relearn about photography since it has been several years since the classes. Getting down to the dogs level is exactly what I need to and am going to do as suggested! Tomorrow night I will try and post some new photo's and see if they are better! Thanks again!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM

I would focus on getting practice more than anything when first starting up. Go to a dog park and ask a couple people if you could snap a few shots of their dogs. Or maybe approach some local breed specific clubs or Rescue organizations or something along those lines. I'm not sure how creative/profitable taking pics for the humane society would be.

In general I do see some problems with some of your photos. Things like white balance being off, to straight on amateurish flash, to compositional issues. feel free to pm me if you'd like an actual critique of your work or tips on how to improve. My website is in my profile in case you are wondering who the **** am I to critique your work.

As far as movement shots and such as mentioned above. I don't think that is anything that you would have to get used to. If you have an SLR and basic knowledge of ISO, Apeture and Shutter speed, you'll under stand what is needed to freeze motion or to show motion. And you'll also know what equipment is needed to pull this off at a professional level.

Although I'm not a pet photographer, If I were to ever do something like that I'd take a more natural/lifestyle approach at it(similar to whats shown below.) I've never been a big fan of the portrait type images.

Let me know if you ever want to chat it up about photography, I can go forever as you can see here.

My one attempt of taking a nice pic of my pup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page