Picking up a 10 month old rescue..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Picking up a 10 month old rescue.....

First time poster here so hello everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

He's a beautiful dog but unfortunately we don't know any history. Should I expect to be able to crate train him when I bring him home? I'll give him plenty of exercise but I'm hoping putting him in a crate while I'm gone to work will be okay, I'll come home over lunch for awhile to make sure things are alright and to let him out. I've crate trained a dog from a young puppy but I don't know if this will be an issue for a 10 month old pup. When I brought him back in from a walk at the shelter he's at, he was terrified to go back into his pen....which is just barely larger that the crate I have. Can't wait to bring him home. Any suggestions on this or anything else are more than welcome!

Here's Baron, picking up tomorrow evening:

Griffin, new to family
Sophie, 4 Yr old Golden Retriever
Sadie, 2 year old cat/rat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
dd
Crowned Member

Re: Picking up a 10 month old rescue.....

Great looking boy! Crate training is a good idea for while you aren't home. Will you have a couple of days with him to get him used to the crate before you actually crate him and go off to work?

dd

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, absolutely crate him. Start with either throwing a few treats into the crate or giving him a few once he goes in. That will condition him to feel as if going into his crate makes good things happen.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Elite Member

I actually fed Chaos in his crate when I brought him home (he was 4 months old and had never been in one).

Good looking boy!

Mocha's Royal Misha, CGC - June 2005
Chaos vom Haus Wilton, CGC - September 2007

Heidi, GSD - RIP

Natasha, GSD - RIP

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies... and yes, I'll have the weekend to get him used to it before back to work on Monday. I'll probably throw treats in and feed him in his crate as marylou mentioned, the crate is plenty big for that... Can't wait to get him home and settled in. He must be a mix of maybe Husky? I've never seen blue eyes like that on a GSD....

Griffin, new to family
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Knighted Member

Ditto to all of the excellent tips given above!

I heartily recommend obedience training classes for you and Baron. Almost all GSDs thrive in their lessons; also, practicing your lessons daily is a great way of bonding with Baron.

This will be yet another way of using all that puppy energy!

If you need help in finding a good trainer, you might want to start a thread in the "Finding a Trainer" section of the forum. As I'm sure you've noticed, we have members of this message board from all over the world. I'm sure someone will be able to give you a recommendation, based on experience!

Congratulations on welcoming Baron into your family!

Madonna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud "mom" to Kukla (GSD/Boxer mix)

Rest in peace, Lydie (GSD mix) (CGC) (1991-2003)
Rest in peace, Beautiful Jo (corgi mix)(1974-1991)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

Great looking guy and thank you for saving him
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Crowned Member

Also hope this helps:

Great looking guy and thank you for saving him

Wonderful you have the time to spend with him this weekend. Start the training right away, as they remember the steps you show them.

When I got my girl home ( at 9 weeks - GS/lab) I walked her outside, gave her attention and put her in a crate for some alone time while I did some work to get her use to be by herself and liking it.

When I was ready to work with her, went outside and did some play & training -- back inside with leash on attached to my belt (which I put on ) I had her with me doing things I normally would do - so if something was a no no for her she was corrected on leash. Everything was done slowly with alot of praise for good deeds - anything from walking nicely to looking up at me when asked to -- great way to bond.

I would go at your's and his pace. The most important thing is having him feel the crate at your house is a nice place to sleep and for him to have a little down time.

Good Luck --- Another important thing no running about 2 hours before or 2 hours after eating ---- bloat is something to watch with big chested dogs -just in case you didn't know.

Give him a hug for me
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I did not know about bloat in big chested dogs, thank you for the tip, I'll definitely research that more in depth...

Griffin, new to family
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

http://www.brightstargsd.org/mainpages/adviseforowners is a good link.

I also just toss treats and things they only get in the crate-that are really good-in when doing crate training. And also stick around while they get used to it-but casually-not hovering.

ETA-beautiful boy! Welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page