Outdoor kennel ideas? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
CAB

Outdoor kennel ideas?

I'm thinking that an outdoor kennel is the best idea for my future pup to keep her separated from the other dogs as well as other hazards.

Could you give me ideas on how to build it and any pics that you might have of yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Outdoor kennel ideas?

I hope these come through ok:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/Dsc00831.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...r/Dscn0059.jpg

I used concrete as a base. These kennels were large, 14x23, I later cut them in half so they are 14 x 11 1/2. I used treated four by fours set in concrete, nine gage wire chain link around. 2x4s top and bottom between the 4x4s, and topped it with 11 gage wire. What I would do different would be to double the slope and put in a drain.

The treated plywood shelter is one of my first attempts at a shelter. two sheets of treated plywood, 4x8' set on top of three 2x4x8s make the base. This presents a nice resting place for the dogs up off the concrete. I roofed this one, but since I think I made a better model with a flat top, same base and solid on three sides. The height is high enough to easily set a dog house and cot inside, but the dogs can also leap on top and lay up there. It provides great shelter and I made five of them this way.

Unfortunately, no pictures. Again, I used plenty of treated 4x4s and 2x4s and 4x8 sheets of treated plywood CDX. I am no lightweight and can crawl up on the top of these.

An outside kennel is a great idea to keep the pup safe. But it is not a great way to keep a pup 24/7. The pup needs to be in with the family when you are home. He needs to be taken out for classes/socialization. This makes it a lot easier when you have to take him out to the vet. I have dog houses inside my kennels, but I bring them in when I am home and for the night.

I also use stainless steel water buckets and a bucket holder for horse stalls. This ensures that the pup will not spill their water in the morning and be without all day long.

Good luck with the pup.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Master Member

I had a friend whose dog nearly dog from chewing on "treated" lumber for his kennel posts, which contains arsenic. Please be careful about what type of wood and posts you are using. Dogs will chew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

They do not contain arsenic any more, at least mine do not, I asked before buying and the lumber guy told me they no longer put arsenic in the wood to treat it.

Whatever you do, someone out there will have a dog that almost died.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Banned

Selzer they look great never thought of building a shelter inside their runs before. Great idea
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
CAB

Thanks for those pics. Yours look really appealing unlike a lot of cage-like runs i've seen. How long and how much did it cost to make?

I'm well aware that it will mainly be used when i'm at varsity during the day and when I'm home it will either be in the crate inside, if the other dogs are in the same room, or enclosed in a room with me. I've just been told that my new dog will never be allowed to be left unsupervised with the older dog/s even once it has matured...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

Your kennels are very nice and look well constructed. I am in the woods and have chosen to use the ground as the flooring. My vet also said that ground is the best for shock absorption and since I can do it, I did. The kennels face west and a little south since the wind comes from the east and perhaps a little north. The runs are 30 x 40 with a 6 foot fence, a gate in front and a small door in back that goes into a large exercise area. Houses are within the lean-to with a storage area above them and a nice sized porch aside. They are insulated with foam and air, so I have no worries in the winter or summer. I will add a picture and hope this helps.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to spartshep

Mistake...kennels face east...wind comes from the west. for some reason...I was not permitted to edit the post...sorry.

Constance Krebs, RN, Univ of Mich
Spartanville Shepherds

Home of V Puck vom Gräfental
V Ajax vom Brandsteig
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Those look awesome. I agree that ground is good for shock absorption. That is one worry I have for them jumping off of my shelters. But I went with concrete because they cannot dig out of them and worms cannot take hold like they can in ground.

My last set of three kennels were 10' x 15' and the three of them cost me $5000 completed by my sub contractor. The dog shelters cost me $300 each, he did the actual work, my design.

My contractor works cheaply and slow. I told him that it had to be done by August when I went back to work. It was done in September. However if he worked on it steady, he could have spent a day getting it ready to poor the concrete, spent a day on the concrete, another couple for the concrete to set before stretching the wire, two days to add 2x4s and stretch the wire. One day to add the wire to the top, and another day or two to build the dog shelters. I would think that it should take two weeks tops. But I cannot support the guy so he works other jobs and well, my stuff is not exactly last on the list, but...

Oh and mine are six feet tall. The two by fours across the top are fine since I am about 5'7. However, in the winter I smack my head constantly. Also, if I had it to do over, I would make the gates so I would have to step up over a foot or so of solid fencing and the gates themselves would be up off the ground by a foot. At present I have to shovel them out in the winter and and it can be a pain. But it is definitely manageable the way it is.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

Selzer, your kennels are beautiful!! I've never commented on kennels before but yours are great!!! I love the shelter area AND the chair out there for when they have human 'guests'.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page