advice needed please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

advice needed please

Our son is very small for his age and he often talks about getting a dog "his size". We've thought about different poodle mixes so they would be low dander/shedding, but we honestly don't want to deal with having a dog that HAS to be groomed. We've looked at toy rat terriers and miniature dachshunds. I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with either of these breeds or if anyone has a suggestion on another breed. Our son is 36" tall and weighs twenty pounds. We would really prefer something around ten pounds or less so he won't get knocked down if the dog jumps. It has to be good with bigger dogs as we have an eight month old GSD and a nine year old Border Collie. We want a playful dog, but one that will calm down and snuggle and watch movies with our son. And we absolutely don't want a dog that will bark a lot. My husband works nights so he's sleeping through the day.

Hmmm...a small dog that's not hyper and doesn't bark a lot...am I asking too much

Having a place to go is HOME. Having someone to love is FAMILY. Having both is a BLESSING.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Knighted Member

Re: advice needed please

Is there any chance you could work with your son and your current dogs to make one of them HIS dog?Do not see where you posted the age of your son.8 MO GSD requires kinda some maturity-I would guess 8 YO at least.(9 YO border collie might with some effort from you work out regardless of son's age)Whatever son's age the best lesson you could teach him(forgive 60's reference)is 'Love the one your with'
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 PM

While I'd like to remind you that at 8 months your GSD is close to the age when he'll settle down more and also suggest that a few more months time may be all that's needed I do have a suggestion.

Have you ever seen a French Bulldog? They're very personable littel fellows and get along quite well with GSDs. My neighbor had one for years and he was a wonderful little guy. Didn't bark much and was very calm and lovable.

But getting back to your GSD, I was born into a house with many GSDs in it as my father was a breeder. I survived the occasional tumble and grew very close indeed to the dogs. They have been an integral part of my life ever since. My earliest memories are filled with the GSDs I knew and loved. Not judging you by any means. I'm just encouraging you in the thought that time may be the answer as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

I kind of agree with Tom. But, it you are sure you want something else---take look at Cairn Terriers. Right size, don't require a lot of grooming, can hold their own with the big dogs, very loyal, and very good at keeping away flying monkeys and witches.

Toto in the original "Wizard of Oz" with Judy Garland was a Cairn Terrier.

"I'd better go with you Huck, civilization can be dangerous."-------Tom Sawyer(Mark Twain)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Our son is 7 years old. I try to imagine if I were my son's size and how big everything is to him. I actually don't think it's unreasonable in any way for him to want something small that he can hold in his lap that won't hurt him.

Our Border Collie is very respectful of his space, is gentle with him and is truly a wonderful dog. Our German Shepherd is also wonderful and highly intelligent, but can easily hurt our son by stepping on him or hitting him with his tail. These are things we work on daily and we watch them very closely.

I'll have to look into French Bulldogs.

My best friend has a Carin Terrier and although I love her and she's a sweet dog, she was a hyper ball of energy until she was about 4 years old.

Having a place to go is HOME. Having someone to love is FAMILY. Having both is a BLESSING.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

What about a Chinese Crested? There ARE good ones out there - like mine!

She is very outgoing, loves people, loves to snuggle, very playful, good with other dogs and only barks when something needs to be barked at (not yappy).

They require some skin care if you get a hairless or some brushing if you get a powder puff.

We LOVE our girl!!

Lauri & The Raw Fed Gang

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Winnie CGC - Corgi Mix
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

I've never met anyone that owned a Chinese Crested! I could only get the powder puff, though. No offense to anyone that has one, but hairless dogs freak me out! I'll look into them as well, thanks!

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Too bad the hairless ones aren't your cup of tea. I just happen to have two wonderful foster boys that love other dogs, LOVE people and love to snuggle and play ...

Lauri & The Raw Fed Gang

Winnie CGC - Corgi Mix
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested

HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) – Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:01 PM

We have a yorkie-poo that the girls adore! He is not as smart as a GSD but he thinks everyone is his best friend, always happy for attention no matter if it's being petted, dressed up in doll clothes or having the hair on top of his head dyed strange colors by my daughters. For his whole life he has slept under the covers in their beds. I can remember when one of my duaghters was younger she fell asleep holding him like a teddy bear and when I went in to check on them Tiger's fur was damp from my duaghter sweating on him as she slept. He loves, loves, loves them!

Here he is! He weighs about 8 pounds and does not shed!

He was best friends with our old GSD but Radar (4.5 months) is a little too wild for him!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

If you're flexible on the weight.... CORGI! Corgis are excellent active-big-dog companions, great with the family, and have the wonderful herding dog temperament.

Other small breeds I've liked and would "trust" around kids, provided they came from excellent breeders who focus on family life and temperament, include small terriers like the border and cairn terriers, Cavalier King Charles spaniels, papillons, and Tibetan spaniels.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page