How do you say NO to a dog in need? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How do you say NO to a dog in need?

I have an opportunity to get a young WGSD. Male. Just what I was looking for. He doesnt have any health records and comes from a possible BYB. I dont know the breeder but am going to try to get in touch with them. No shot records, no health records, no hip and elbow information. From what I have found out from the owner he is good with kids and has been around cats. I have cats and a child. He is crate trained. Sounds like a dream. The only problem is the timing is not good. I had been keeping my eyes open for a young dog in need in my area and he really fits the bill. My heart says to go and do it because the opportunity is great. My head and DH say now is not the time. What if Bella hates him. Shes not dog aggressive but hasnt been exposed much either. She is very wary of other dogs. It takes at least an hour for her to open up at puppy play time. I just got Bella to a point where training is going great and she is my angel! There is something telling me not to do this. Double the food bills, double the vet bills, heartworm, flea and tick, toys and TIME. Gas and groceries are high, Bella needs my time. As I said, my heart says to go ahead...I dont know.

After re-reading my post I guess I sort of gave myself the answer, huh?

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:11 AM

Re: How do you say NO to a dog in need?

It is very difficult Like you mentioned, if you have no health records, no hip and elbow information... could you afford all of the vet bills if you do have problems right now?

It is so hard to say No, but the #1 consideration is for your family. If both your head and your DH say it's not the time....

Dante "Kronos" Von Der Sauk - 15 Months (GSD)
Drago "Atlas" Von Der Sauk - 15 Months (GSD)
Bahsha - 5 Years (Korean Jindo)
Sabre - 04/30/98 - 03/01/08 (GSD) RIP our beautiful boy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Elite Member

My philosophy in life in general is that if you are in doubt as to what to do......don't do anythng. Don't make the decision until you are sure. It seems like you have already thought it out pretty well. Like Dannay said.....you have to consider family and hubby and other pets.

It's VERY hard to say no, especially when we see so many dogs in need on the Urgent Forum. For me, I know what I can handle and do not go beyond that.

If this WGSD is not for you at this time....maybe you could help in his placement in a great home! Then you will feel good about helping him.

CAMP PAPPY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Crowned Member

I have a timing problem as well. I don't want a puppy but I've got it in my head that the one I want might be born from a certain dog so I have to decide whether the timing is more important, or getting the dog I want (size, looks, lines, temperament, breeder....).

In your situation my biggest worry would be the current dog. We had picked out our second dog, another GSD, and it turned out that Kenya hated him. He barked nonstop for 45 minutes and also had separation anxiety. He pestered Kenya relentlessly. After the meeting, we both looked at each other and didn't need to say anything, it was not going to work. Thank goodness we did the dog meeting! The next dog we met got along famously with Kenya so he came home with us. I don't know how I'd handle dogs picking fights, since we live in a small rental and both of us work. That type of stress is unfair for the dogs, unless someone can be there to work with them for the majority of the day.

Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks.

I just went and spoke to my good friend and voiced it all out loud and I have my answer...

I know I could take Bella for a dog meeting but I dont think I should.

One of my old senior cats just started trusting Bella enough to make herself seen. Shes been in the FROG since Bella came home. She doesnt lack for attention but I was shocked to see her in the kitchen. What a start for her! So I can see how a new dog would upset the hard work we've all been doing.

Once I listed to my friend, out loud, what the pros and cons were I knew that I would have to pass on this. Owner said shes getting lots of interest in him. I just had been looking for a pup like him...oh well. There will always be more dogs in need...

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CampPappyMy philosophy in life in general is that if you are in doubt as to what to do......don't do anythng.
I have recently learned this as well, it took long enough but usually if I have any doubts I know not to get in over my head.

Sean: Adopted July 1999
Neely: Adopted May 2005, LH Tabby/Tortie
Gizmo: Bi-color Persian 2009
Neeko: Purr-fect Persian Cat (3/91 - 1/05)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

The vet info is so imprtnt. If the dog has any serious health problems, adopting could be expensive.

Aside from the afore-mentioned, I have never said no. But as a rescue I do the best I can and hope the dogs I take are adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page