Question about non purebread GSD's - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Question about non purebread GSD's

Hello all, I'm getting my own first dog (i've grown up with family dogs all my life, but this one will be MY own!)

The dogs I went to look at are GSD mixed w/ Lab. The mother is a purebread GSD and the father is GSD/Lab Mix

Just wondering everyones opinions on this, how will his temperment be? And is there alot of common problems I have to look out for?
Thanks

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question about non purebread GSD's

Quote:
Originally Posted By: willie
Just wondering everyones opinions on this, how will his temperment be?
There is no way to know. Are these puppies? If so were both parents there? And again, if so, what were there temperments like?

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, both parents were there. They are 6 weeks old. The father was barking alot, the guy said he was overprotective of the mother, and the mother was normal, although she did jump up a bit much for my liking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM

With any litter of any breed of puppies, you definately want to observe the parents before committing to purchasing the puppy.

My ex-boyfriend and I rescued a 9 month old GSD/Lab mix from a shelter, so we never got to see the parents or know what his previous home life was like besides some very basic information. We were very lucky because the dog turned out to be the perfect dog. He had the GSD smarts, alertness, and loyalty. But he was WAY more mellow, less mischevious/stubborn/high strung, less prey driven, and was friendly to everybody - which aren't typical GSD qualities. Maybe his parents both had really good temperments...we'll never know.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

I have a GSD/dobbie mix she was from a human society and hse's great! I think some of it has to do with training once you get the pup home. Goodluck!

~Jennifer
Mom to Elle and Emma!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Crowned Member

I've had two crosses - one GSD/Elkie one GSD/something -- both were terrific dogs. They had very different personalities but so have my four purebred GSDs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

It should potentially be a great mix. Important to NOT get the puppies earlier than 7 weeks (8 even better). And really get to know the parent dogs. Both health AND temperment are genetic. I've heard that a good solid bitch is almost more an indicator because even before the puppies are taken away, the way she behaves with and around the puppies is something they pick up (good and bad).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Wow, simply stated I doubt most folks could tell how a pup will turn out. Based on your own instincts take the dog you most like, for whatever reason and go from there.

I do like the mix, as my son has labs and I have two GSD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page