DNA Test for Mixes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

DNA Test for Mixes

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I am thinking about doing a DNA test on Balin to see what he really is. Has anyone had one done? I have seen different ones that can identify from 38 to 130 different breeds. Some use a mouth swab others a blood test.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

Dawn S

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Re: DNA Test for Mixes

Funny that you mention this. I was just thinking that in every case where someone had their mix DNA tested the results made no sense from looking at them. I was thinking if I had the money I would DNA test Chama since I know her father was a pb rottie and her mom was a mutt. I thought it would be interesting to see what showed up for the rest of her...

I know there are a few people on here who have done it.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 AM
dd
Crowned Member

I called my vet and he said the technology doesn't actually exist to do that yet - so not sure if he is not well informed or if these things are a scam. I wanted to do it too, but hesitated when the provider needed a picture of the dog submitted with the sample. Why would they need a picture??

dd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

They're pretty much worthless. I have a friend on another board who knows a lot about canine genetics and has told me (and a few others) that these tests are a waste of money. I believe one of her professors has 2 tests from 2 different companies that they had run on their mutt and both have 2 entirely different results.

So, imho, save your money. If the tests were accurate, I would have run one on Risa ages ago (since I have no idea what's in her mix). But, since they're not, I'm left to staring at her and guessing.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dd Why would they need a picture??

That is an easy one. So they can look at the picture and "tell" you what "breeds" your dog is!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for all the input, I will save my $$. This is Balin he is about 5 months old in this picture and the other picture is his mother who looks GSD x something. Any guesses?

Dawn S

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Elite Member

Well I had the test done on my Macintosh and it came back Collie/Sheltie and as you can see, that's what he is. I didn't send them a photo. We met the mother (a pregnant stray at the pound) and she was a Pointer but each of the 14 pups all looked like a different breed.

So there must be some accuracy to it because he is so obviously 1/2 collie or sheltie but we wanted to know if there was anything else that would show up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Elite Member

To me, his mother looks like (maybe) GSD and Australian Cattle Dog. Balin looks like he's got a rottweiler head so maybe dad was a rottie or at least part rott?

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM

a family member of mine had the blood test done on her dog - his results came back with a chart up to the grandparents which came out as him being primarily poodleXlhasa, but we're guessing there is a bit of bichon (bichon was not included in the breeds avail, but one of the grand parents came out as inconclusive.)

here's his photo. pretty accurate imo.

i do not recommend the mouth swab do it yourself test (biotech) after seeing this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Elite Member

bernese mountain dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page