Car Safety Bars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Car Safety Bars

Have you heard anything about those easy-to-install car safety bars that go between your cargo area (or 2nd seat) and your back seat? I'm thinking of installing one. I bought it but then felt hesitant. Would it be safe in an accident? Or could they come un-installed and hurt a passenger and/or a dog?

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Car Safety Bars

What do you want it to do?

If you want to put your dog in the rear, and hope that will help in an accident, it will not. The dog is still loose and can easily be injured or killed (and come thru the barrier).

If you just need it to keep some gear in back, you'll be ok.

For dogs, they need some kind of confinement/belt system. Just like what keeps kids from being injured in our cars. Except you can crate a dog and probably not your children.

Good site about what we should all be using to secure our dogs, for our safety as well as the dogs...

http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/d.../dogbelts.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Knighted Member

I have used one of those barriers, to prevent the dogs from jumping into the back seat from the cargo area and if it is not really, really tight then the dogs can knock it down.

I usually crate mine while traveling for their safety as well as mine.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 AM
Master Member

I had one, it was pretty much useless. :P The little bars that slide out to adjust the width slide freely, I've tried tightening it to no avail. Brenna quickly learned to just shove them aside and go where she pleases.

I also tried a net, even more useless.

I tried a crate but it only fit sideways and didn't have a side door so I'd have to move it to get the dogs in/out.

Brenna chews through leashes when she's in the car (only in the car for some reason) so I'm afraid putting her on a seatbelt harness would result in my seatbelts being eaten.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 10:59 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Quote: Brenna chews through leashes when she's in the car (only in the car for some reason) so I'm afraid putting her on a seatbelt harness would result in my seatbelts being eaten.
You can start with this as a training issue. It's the same as when kids can unclick themselves if they don't like their belts. We love them and know their safety is #1 so we TEACH them to keep the belt on.

We can teach our dogs not to chew thru the belts. We are right there in the car with them, and a 'no' should work. Squirt bottle of water may help with the aim.

The SAFEST place in our cars are always the middle row of seats. Why we are supposed to keep the kids there. All the traffic studies and strength in the car is centered around there. If you get rear ended, the back crumples. Hit something with the front and we get it as the driver (though engine compartment is there).

People FAIL TO CONSIDER broken windows and popped doors. A car accident than can be fairly minor can still cause that and a scared LOOSE dog can and will jump out to be either free to run off or get killed in traffic. Letting our dogs be free in the car cause it's easier for us, and we think they like it, isn't doing the dog a favor in the end.

The seatbelts I see for sale in the petstores generally aren't the safest to really help one of our large dogs in a real accident. For those that are more responsible out there, a good site with comparisons and features to look for are on http://www.agilepooch.com/dogstuff/d.../dogbelts.html

Here are my girls all belted up and safe!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I had a barrier, worked well for a few years but then it started falling on my kids heads when Morgan pushed on it. Now I buckle her up in the third seat.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I have a problem with the seat belts. A friend lost her Airedale when she had an auto accident and it was directly related to the seat belt the dog was wearing.

I do try to use crates when I can. The problem (as Brenna's Mom mentioned) is that the crate won't fit into the back correctly, it barely fits at all. I'm used to having my mini-van where I could haul two crates (facing out) at a time. But I downsized to smaller vehicle and it just doesn't work with the crate. I even tried a soft-sided crate.

When I can, I put the dogs into the backseat, but there are situations when that will not work. For instance, the girls do not get along. When they both need to go to class, one has to ride in the backseat, but one has to ride in the cargo area. With the crate issue, it is difficult to keep the one girl in the backseat while bringing the other one out of the crate (at a slant and with the door facing the side of the car).

I see what you mean about the safety of the barrier not being a match for the crate (or seatbelt) though. Thank you for sharing everyone.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page