Going to get my first GSD soon, got some questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Going to get my first GSD soon, got some questions

Hello All,

I'm going to get my first german shepherd soon and I just had a few questions for you.

1. What kind of food is best for a gsd? I've heard eukanuba and royal canin are both good choices, what do you all feed yours?

2. How hard is it to train them? I'm trying to avoid going to a training class, and hope that I can train mine myself, but I'm not sure.

3. My girlfriend has a miniature schnauzer that is a male and I want the gsd and schnauzer to get along. I'm thinking if i get a male gsd this would cause too much competition between them. Is this true? Should I get a female?

Thanks!

Sydney (Black GSD Female - 6-12-08)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Going to get my first GSD soon, got some questions

HI!!!

Congrats on the new little one.
here is my opinion on your questions.
1. I feed mine what my breeder used Purina Pro Plan but eukanuba is good too.

2. Training is difficult but well worth it. If you can find a trainer that comes to your home that is what I did with Brady. I get compliment on how well behaved he is.

3. as lond as you socialize them with each other they should be fine and you baby will grow up with him so he'll love him.

I hope this helped!!! make sure you post pics !!!

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Knighted Member

to the forum bdavis86. You've come to the right spot to research the german shepherd. You may want to put your general location in your profile. That way, folks from your area may be able to point to to different resources as you research and after you bring your new family member home.

For the non-answeres to your questions:

1. What kind of food is best for a gsd? I've heard eukanuba and royal canin are both good choices, what do you all feed yours?

What you feed depends- First off you would want to start with whatever the pup's breeder is using. If you getting a puppy from a shelter/rescur, you would want to check with them. You could then wean them to a different formula.

2. How hard is it to train them? I'm trying to avoid going to a training class, and hope that I can train mine myself, but I'm not sure.

Again depends on your commitment to put in the time and consistently to train. I would (strongly) encourage you to consider looking into group classes for the socialization aspects of the training and growing part of your puppy's development. beginning and continuing socialization is tantamount to your success in properly raising and being reponsible for the development of the puppy.

3. My girlfriend has a miniature schnauzer that is a male and I want the gsd and schnauzer to get along. I'm thinking if i get a male gsd this would cause too much competition between them. Is this true?

Every dog is an individual. How is the schnauzer with other dogs? Is he a fairly social dog.
If you work on the socialization of a new puppy you should be able to introduce the two well. You would want to oversee and watch the two for a while. And it should not matter whether you get a male/female.

Makeu sure you spend a lot of time in the puppy section as there are a lot of great threads on introducing and training a new puppy.

Be sure to ask lots of questions.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to wrenny

You might get a lot of mix answers for question #1. Go with whatever makes your pet happy, healthly, and looking good. =)

I used eukanuba but he was slimy. Switched to royal canin and has been good since.

Lex, 10 years old RIP
Lincoln 4 months old.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Going to get my first GSD soon, got some quest

Welcome to the forum and congrats in advance on your new pup. Eukanuba is not good food. I'm not a fan of Pro Plan either. I cannot comment on Royal Canin because I haven't seen the ingredients. You'll get a lot of different opinions on food here. Some of us go with the really high quality (and expensive) foods that are only available at specialty stores and on line and others feed foods from the supermarket. Every gsd I've ever had has had digestive problems so I start them all on the really good stuff now to hopefully minimize problems in the future.

If you haven't trained a gsd before then I would find a good, positive reinforcement based training class and attend several classes with your dog. You'll both learn a lot and it can provide great socialization too.

My dog is fine with small dogs but I've worked with him so that he understands he has to be gentler with them than with big dogs.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

given some of the responses, I think i'll use the royal canin, since the eukanuba got some bad reviews.

I live in iowa and there is a petsmart in des moines that has some training classes so I think might have to look into those to see what they offer and if they are worth it.

The miniature schnauzer is a good dog, he likes other dogs and can be somewhat hyperactive and play pretty rough, I just want to be sure that a male german shepherd wouldnt interpret that as a threat of somekind and snap at him. We are currently thinking of taking the schnauzer to get the puppy when we go in about 8 weeks or so to see which one(s) he interacts well with, which have a good temperment, etc. Good idea?

Thanks again for the fast responses!

Sydney (Black GSD Female - 6-12-08)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

The higher the quality of the food you feed the less you have to feed and the less waste produced. Dogs donít process grains very well Ė they are used mostly as cheap fillers in dog foods. So, a food that has little grain and more meat is better. Or you could go one step better and feed a natural raw diet.

As for the training, most GSDs are very smart. I think sometimes they are smarter than their owners! Being fair, consistent and motivational is the key. Taking a puppy to training classes isnít so much about teaching the puppy Ė itís more about teaching YOU how to teach the puppy. And it is valuable socialization time for the puppy.

As for getting two males, if they are both neutered thereís less chance of issues. You should ask the breeder which of the pups is the most pack-social and least pack-dominant. If they donít know Iíd say look for another breeder. Most responsible breeders do not let the owners pick just any puppy. The breeder has lived with the pups since they were born. They should know all the pups individual temperaments and be able to tell you which pup (or pups) would do best in your situation.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangThe higher the quality of the food you feed the less you have to feed and the less waste produced. Dogs don’t process grains very well – they are used mostly as cheap fillers in dog foods. So, a food that has little grain and more meat is better. Or you could go one step better and feed a natural raw diet.

As for the training, most GSDs are very smart. I think sometimes they are smarter than their owners! Being fair, consistent and motivational is the key. Taking a puppy to training classes isn't so much about teaching the puppy – it’s more about teaching YOU how to teach the puppy. And it is valuable socialization time for the puppy.

As for getting two males, if they are both neutered there’s less chance of issues. You should ask the breeder which of the pups is the most pack-social and least pack-dominant. If they don’t know I’d say look for another breeder. Most responsible breeders do not let the owners pick just any puppy. The breeder has lived with the pups since they were born. They should know all the pups individual temperaments and be able to tell you which pup (or pups) would do best in your situation.
AGREE 100 percent.

Also re: GSDs it is very important to socialize a soon as possible and continually to as much as possible, people of all nations and ages, animals, places, things, sounds, so that you end up with a well rounded and balance GSD that will in the end know when to protect and not end up a dangerous dog to strangers that mean no harm.

I highly suggest finding a puppy class for socialization reasons, I personally like Petsmart's Puppy Education, it was a great socialization class for 8 weeks with Jesse who started it at 10 weeks.

Jesse is great with all dogs of all sizes but that is because we have socialized him to the max and continue to do so every single day and he also goes to doggy daycare to help the cause. Cause I want a dog that I will have no problems taking anywhere. Jesse was very easy to train, but he still attended obedience classes for bonding and social reasons.

Jesse has been on Canidea, Timberwolf and now Orijen - All high quality no filler foods only found in higher end pet stores - I personally would never feed food found in a grocery store - I would cook his food from scratch if I couldn't afford the higher end foods. GSDs tend to get some allergies that are in the lower end food.

Lauralie
Jesse male GSD (Born November 6, 2007) and 3 cats

- Jesse's photos from 8 weeks to present and videos too

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Sherush
Jesse has been on Canidea, Timberwolf and now Orijen - All high quality no filler foods only found in higher end pet stores - I personally would never feed food found in a grocery store - I would cook his food from scratch if I couldn't afford the higher end foods. GSDs tend to get some allergies that are in the lower end food.
I don't own a GSD yet but I do know a fair amount about dog food. I am not a fan of any of the dog foods that the OP mention but Sherush made some good recommendations.

If you are serious about good dog food, check out this website
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/
A lot of good information without corporate bias.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM

Sherush-which Orijen formula is Jesse on?? Link is on Acana large breed puppy food right now which is made by Orijen.

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page