im curious.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

im curious..

this has to do with a dogs "personality"

do they develope any parts of there owners personality??

b/c i could swear my grandfathers GSD has the same personality he does

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

Re: im curious..

I think we pick them out to match...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Elite Member

Why not? They spend all their free time with us...LOL

Sherri & the 6 Holy Terrors...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Knighted Member

It may be coincidence but I like to think they pick up on our traits. Elmo yawns VERY loud. He also lets out big sighs too. My husband does both. Whenever my husband yawns or sighs, I tell him that Elmo picked up these behaviors from him! Maybe 95% of GSDs do that too.

How does your grandfather's GSD relate to him?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe. Except that my dogs all seem to have very distinct personalities, and unless I have multiple personalities they can't all be like me, because they're quite different from each other.

But I do think that we reinforce the things we find endearing, so Elmo's sighs and big yawns are probably being encouraged, albeit subtly, so you'll see these behaviors more frequently.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomMaybe. Except that my dogs all seem to have very distinct personalities, and unless I have multiple personalities they can't all be like me, because they're quite different from each other.

But I do think that we reinforce the things we find endearing, so Elmo's sighs and big yawns are probably being encouraged, albeit subtly, so you'll see these behaviors more frequently.
Hmmm.... I wonder if I'm unconsciously encouraging my husband's loud yawns and sighs too.

You're probably right. Elmo's crate is on the main floor. Every time I come in from the basement, I can hear Elmo let out a very loud yawn. It's very cute. So, I make the same noise as I come up the stairs. hehe.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:53 AM

after keeping my friends doberman for a month, i realized that she's just like her owner... it was pretty unbelievable but so obvious. it makes sense tho - if a person is very cautious and reserved, then it makes sense that their dog would get adapt to that. i'm very personable and outgoing which means that my dogs have become that way by my habit. on walks, outdoor dining, having company over, etc.

my dogs also sleep alot. as do i. but when we're awake - we're doing things 500%

i think really nervous or anxious people pass those traits on to their dogs as well... not only because the dog can pick up on those feelings, but maybe their training methods or home demeanor are erratic and inconsistent.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

Gosh, I sure hope they don't act like me.

I can't recall barking at the mailman, diving to gobble up something to eat off the floor before someone else grabs it, sniffing butts of new people I meet, jumping up and down with excitment when the doorbell rings, or fence fighting with the neighbors next door.

But I wish I had their innocence, trust, loving nature and the way they know when I've had a bad day and need an extra kiss.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

I dunno, I think mine was picked to match. She was 3.5 years old when I got her, and as far as much more training and some confidence building, I really do not see any personality differences than the day I got her. She is a lot like me, but she was picked for me by someone else.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

Grimm: Wildly happy, bold, enthusiastic, funny, LOVES EVERYONE, upbeat, outgoing, pushy, bouncy, FRIENDLY, occasional tantrum-thrower, fearless, super-social, vocal, and a SNUGGLER.

Me: Shy, sensitive, cautious, introspective, unsure, quiet.

HELLLLLLLP!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page