Adding a GSD to be with our King Charles Cavalier - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
BCC

Adding a GSD to be with our King Charles Cavalier

My wife has always been in love with GSD since she was a little girl. Our current dog is a 2 year old 22lb King Charles Cavalier. He's friendly with bigger dogs but is absolutely the gentlest thing you ever saw. No fight or aggression in him at all. He's a lap dog who loves to go for runs with me in nearby fields and woods.

He's used to living with an older female beagle, who passed away 3 months ago at 15 years old.

Would love to add a female GSD puppy from a reputable breeder. Should I be concerned about the well being of my Cavalier with a growing playful GSD?

Thanks for any input

Here's a pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Re: Adding a GSD to be with our King Charles Cavalier

I don't think you have to worry. They will learn from each other on what is and isn't exceptable
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Knighted Member

What a pretty girl! No, introduced and monitored correctly, large and small dogs co-exist. Find a good reputable breeder who can work with matching you and your family with a dog that will fit best. That breeder will also offer you input and suggestions on introducing another pup to your family to help make the transition go smoothly Good luck in your search!

Trish Campbell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG Harley v Triton BH,AD,T-1,RN,CGC,HIC,HOT
VP Myth v Triton BH,TT, CGC, Branka SchH3, KKL-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

i think your cute King Charles will be fine. i actually think your King Charles wil be the boss. there was a King Charles in our puppy class. his name is Teddy. Teddy was sponky. he played really rough with this Doberman puppy. all of the dogs in this were 9 weeks to 11 weeks old. i like those King Charles. i also like the contrast of a big dog and a small dog together. you and your family are going to have so much fun with two dogs. good luck. get a Black and Red Shepherd. the color will go great with your King Charles.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

I don't think you have to worry. I have a 2yo Yorkie and a 11w pup. Everything is great!

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

Oh my gosh......the Cavilier's are sooooo cute. That is a breed I may consider when I'm too old to handle a GSD.
I just love them.

Beautiful picture!!!!!!

Izzy's Mom
R.I.P. 11-8-2000 - 10-27-2013
You will always be in my heart
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beverly
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Master Member

Since I have the following mix:

<ul>[*]100 lb male GSD[*]85 lb female GSD[*]25 lb female American Eskimo[*]4.5 lb female Pomeranian[/list]My guess is you shouldn't worry at all
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I have a friend on another board who owns 2 Cavaliers and 1 GSD so you should be fine.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page