"Moxie" was claimed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

"Moxie" was claimed

Well, tonight I was walking the dogs and this man drove on a 4 wheeler and asked if we had found "Moxie". I told him we had found her early last week. He said that she was their dog and her name was Lacey. She knew who he was but didn't seem excited or happy to see him. I told him that I had posted an ad in the paper and on numerous other forums. And that I have walked her every night in the neighboorhood. And that we had called the pound to report her. I told him that I was going to do the right thing and give her back but he needed to get her chipped and get her ID tags. And that we did we did check and that legally I didn't have to give her back but I would because it was the right thing to do and if had been my dog I would want someone to do the same. He told me Thank you and to call his house and he would pay me back the vet bill. I said OK. The sad part is that when they were walking away she kept turning around and looking at me and pulling to come back to me. I felt awful but I knew it was the right thing to do.

I get home tell my DH, he got angry but I told him it was the right thing to do, because in he thinks that they didn't deserve to get her back. They never put any lost signs up, no ad in the paper and nobody came looking (we live in a small neighboorhood). And when we called the pound they never said anything about a GSD being reported. So DH called and the guy's wife was extremely rude to my DH. She said you should have taken her to the pound and she told my DH we aren't paying you anything. My DH told her we would never take any dog to the pound and they argued and she hung up on him. Now I personally don't care about the money, I am happy that she did go home to her rightful home but I am upset because when I was talking to him, he said she was a runner and that morning she got off her chain and he had saw her on the porch that morning. Hello did you ever stop to think maybe you should have put her back into the house instead of leaving for work.

So I called the wife back to ask if she wanted her medicine back for her ears and apologized for my DH saying that he got a angry and he did get attached to her. And I also explained to her why I would never take a dog I found to the pound. I also told her that if she had been chipped or had an ID tag on we would have called her that morning at 6 and brought her home. The wife was nice to me and told me I right and that they were going to get her chipped and get her an ID tag. But for some reason I do not believe her and think she is always left outside. But hey I have a clear consious about it.

Just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks for all the help you guys did give.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your DOG. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~ Anonymous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:53 AM

Re: "Moxie" was claimed

Your a better person than I am. I don't think I would have given her back. Especially since she didn't even seem excited to see him. Your a saint for taking such good care of her.

proudly owned and loved by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freyja -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

always and forever
from this life to the next
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Master Member

sorry they treated you and her so badly...(hugs)

Mel

Mom to:

Romeo (M GSD, rescue)

my angels...

Maggie (RIP, F GSD, shelter)

Colby - (RIP, M GSD, shelter)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks but it was extremely hard to. She sat at my feet the whole time we were talking. My DH said that if had been him (which he did walk her last night) that he wouldn't have given her back. My oldest daughter has been crying all night.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your DOG. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~ Anonymous

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 AM

I'm so sorry! It obviously has been very hard on all of you. My heart goes out to you and your whole family.

You don't think it might be possible that they would be willing to give (or sell) her back to you? They just don't strike me as being that attached to her...

proudly owned and loved by

Freyja -

always and forever
from this life to the next
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Crowned Member

Wow, this is so hard. The right thing ethically, yes, but the right thing for the dog...it doesn't sound like you are so sure.

Can you check on her and make sure they are caring for her?

Edited to add: Asking if you could buy her is a very good idea! That works sometimes. It must just be breaking your heart thinking about her looking back at you.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to melonyjhsn

Ruth beat me to it Ask if you can buy her if you really want to keep her. Be nice though... You want her because you love her, daughter's crying, so on... Not because they don't treat her right or deserve her.

Melony

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I asked where he got her and he said they paid $1000 for her out of Tennesse. I asked so she must be papered, he said no. (I thought wow that is expensive for an unpapered dog) And he said the reason she was so skinny was because she had Parvo awhile back and the doc said she would never be able to be a "thick" dog. And he went into this long story about they paid almost $2500 to treat her for parvo. So I got the feeling that he wouldn't go for the whole "I will buy her from you" or if he did, he would want a butt load of money. But I did tell him, that if for some reason they had to re-home to call us and we would take her in a heartbeat.

I just got the feeling that they really didn't care for her like they should have. He even said my wife was on craig's list last night looking but she never saw my ad or posted an ad of her own.

I am just really bummed!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Crowned Member

This is upsetting me! I guess because so many of my own dogs and fosters have been strays.

Maybe she'll run away and come back to your house.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I can only wish and if she does this time I will not give her back!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page