GSDs and covered pools - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

GSDs and covered pools

What has been your experience with dogs and covered in-ground pools? We have a 5 month old GSD. She has been fenced off from the pool, but had been exploring ways to get to it (mostly when it was covered with ice).

We are getting a safety cover, but before it is installed we were wondering if folks had problems with dogs getting onto the cover? Right now, she is more interested in chewing sticks and digging holes than the pool...but I'm not optimistic that will last.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: GSDs and covered pools

thank you so much for being concerned about your five month old's safety. gsd's of all ages are very very curious and will get into all manner of trouble when left to their own devices. we have an inground pool too, with a safety cover, and the dogs are never allowed in the yard where the pool is (pool is covered year round now, too busy to take care of it and use it!!!), except when they're with us on the way to "their" yard, which is entirely fenced as well, with no access to the pool yard. and even then they're never left out unsupervised. always better to be safe than sorry.

welcome to the board! what's your girl's name? everyone here loves to see pictures!!!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Knighted Member

We have a pool and Heidi fell in the first day we got her. She thrashed around and I had to pull her to safety. She avoids the pool, but when she's really excited while chasing a squirrel, she's almost fallen in several times. In fact, a couple of times, while running around the pool really fast, she started to fall in, but somehow pulled herself back up. The entire right side of her body (right front and back paws) ended up getting all wet, as well as her right side. I have no idea how she escaped falling in!

I worry about the pool a lot, so I don't let her out there unless I can keep an eye on her. We're going to put a fence around the entire pool so we don't have to worry about it during the summer months. Plus, we'll try to teach her how to get to the steps this summer when the weather is warmer. She hates the water though, so I think it'll be really tough getting her in there.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to LUV_GSDs

my old dog used to sun herself on the above ground pool deck and never got close to the water so I started taking or other dog out by the pool and turn around and she is walking on the 6" ledge around the pool. Be very careful as you never know what they will do next

Belle (gone over the bridge)
Sable (my silly, loud 'large' girl)
4 Rescued cats (a rainbow of fur)
One husband who is the greatest. He takes care of my animals and gives them TLC
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Crowned Member

omg, isn't that the truth, you NEVER know what they'll do next!!!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Knighted Member

There is a ramp device that you can attach to the side of the pool incase the dog falls in. I saw one while searching for a ramp for my SUV. It allows the dog to climb out on their own. Of course you would need to train the dog to use it. I would still keep the dog away from the pool when you can not supervise, but this would be a good back up plan just in case.

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page