Vets specializing in GS - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Vets specializing in GS

Does anyone know of a vet in northeastern Ohio or western PA that specializes in GS? We had CJ's 1st vet appt last night and we have some concerns about what the vet said about CJ's behaviors and how to correct them.

CJ'S Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Vets specializing in GS

What did the vet say? I find that I often have to go to a lot of vets before I find one I feel comfortable with. I don't feel comfortable with a vet telling me what I should feed, how I should train my dog or trying to intimidate me into getting vaccinations that I do not want for my dog. I think it's important to figure out exactly what you want/expect from a vet first. Now I actually call first and ask to speak with the vet!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'm a bit confused what you're looking for.

Vets are about the LAST people I would go to for training/behavioral advice. That is not their specialty... not by a long shot. Behavior is given only a cursory lesson in Vet school, and vets don't practice training or behavioral modification, they practice medicine. Most are pretty clueless about training and behavior issues.

Sounds like you'd be better off finding a *trainer* who specializes in GSDs, not a vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Knighted Member

Aah, vets and behavioral/training/nutritional advice! Gotta love it don't you? I can't help with a vet in OH or PA, but we can all help with the advice. If you want to post what happened we can give you our input.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

We went to the vet for CJ's initial check (not specifically for behavioral advice) and we were told that all biting and mouthing is aggression and not just puppy play and that instead of yelping we should pick him up an give him a wrist flick (which is a gentle shake). Being a mom, gentle or not, shaking is not something I would ever do. We are signing up for the basic puppy class at Youngstown All Breed Training Center which starts May 7th. We are also taking the behavior advice from this board very seriously because this is what you all do, love and train GS children.

CJ'S Mom
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CJ's MomWe went to the vet for CJ's initial check (not specifically for behavioral advice) and we were told that all biting and mouthing is aggression and not just puppy play and that instead of yelping we should pick him up an give him a wrist flick (which is a gentle shake).
As is true of most vets when it comes to behavior/training, he's full of BS. Young puppies aren't "aggressive", they are mouthy, playful, obnoxious youngsters who's inclination is to play with us the same way they'd play with their littermates and other dogs... wrestling, chasing, mouthing. Perfectly normal. For anyone to call this aggression just shows their total ignorance on canine behavior.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

Ditto on the trainer specializing in GSDs or similar breeds. My vet has lived with several shepherds himself *but* he has never offered me a word of advice on training mine. There was something I asked him about years ago and was told 'That's not my speciality so I wouldn't know what to tell you' (while I'm thinking right answer, I think I shall be keeping you. except he's getting old...)

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CJ's MomWe went to the vet for CJ's initial check (not specifically for behavioral advice) and we were told that all biting and mouthing is aggression and not just puppy play and that instead of yelping we should pick him up an give him a wrist flick (which is a gentle shake).
Unreal. If you're overweight, you can exercise. If you're ugly, there's cosmetic surgery. They can operate to fix virtually any medical issue now, and there's a pill to help deal with many mental illnesses... but you just can't fix stupid. Puppies of that age do not EVER act out of aggression.

John
- Zahar vom Leerburg "Lowen"

- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

That was are thinking also. We are planning on not using this Vet again but using the Vet that had origionally seen Michael's origional shepherd. The phrase "stupid is as stupid does" comes to mind.

CJ'S Mom
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 PM

Wow...I am stunned! How on earth does the Vet interpret all that gnawing and snapping puppy energy as aggression? That makes me wonder how many outgoing puppies of ANY breed, he has had his hands on?

Geez, my puppy is a snipping, snapping little alligator and I KNOW she is not aggressive! She loves absolutely everyone! She will jump out of her skin to greet a complete stranger and then proceed to happily gnaw on their hands! I will warn people that she is young and is in the "chewing stage" as dorky as that sounds...most people understand that and want to pet and pat her anyway. I have never seen a puppy that didn't outgrow this behavior. Sometimes they need a little encouragement, but they all seem to get it right in time. Patience grasshopper!

I am glad you are looking for a new Vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page