Introducing ??? How do you truely know............ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Introducing ??? How do you truely know............

an adult dog you brought into your pack will work ?

I ask this because since reading some info on the Leerburg site, has me taking things slow, but afraid might be too slow...not sure ?

How do people take in rescues & fosters with having other dogs ? We have never done this & now dealing with it & hoping it will work, but not sure how to go about a few things.

When do you let them play & can play end up into a fight ?

I ask this because our rescue is mouthy & we have a dominate female & this rescue can be pushy & not sure how to let them go play ? Also fear this with our other male GS.

Afraid play could turn into a fight or something.

They are let out in the yard at different times so far. Rescue goes out with old Sadie the Golden Ret. & they do just fine. He will go at her & try to play, but no playing from her.

So, everyone is crated in the same area & that's all fine, sometimes our male (20 months) will lunge at the crate as the rescue walks by (thinking fear.....he has been doing this some) & might get a slight growl or bark from our female. The rescue barks bad if our dogs out & he isn't.

They have been out of our yard on walks together & do fine together on leads. Will walk our female with him & at different time, will walk our male with him. Never have tried the 3 of them.

They have been riding both (our female & male with rescue @ different times) in the back of the Jeep. To & from walks.

Will put the rescue (Shadow BTW) in the kennel & let our 2 GS's run the yard & our male always goes down the see Shadow & visit him, play jump at him, or lay by the kennel. Our female....well, she might have 1 sniff at him & then go on her way & lay somewhere else in the yard. She seems stiff & unsure somewhat IMO. I see her hackles come up more than any of our GS's.

She has me the most concerned, I guess since she & the rescue has gotten into a fight once already. I think that was over a toy though.

She is just one pushy bitch & he can be somewhat. Just his mouthy ways with snaps makes me fear a fight.

He will go up to our Golden & seen lately our male GS & give licks in the mouth.

I just would like to know..............how do you truely know things will be ok & they can all be out in the yard together ?

I have only allowed them to be on leads around each other & mainly on walks away from here & lately around the yard. They see each other in their crates (all in a line) & through the kennel. They have taken rides (just a few times).

My main thing is play & how to go about this & know it will be ok ? I can only do so much & feel the dogs have to decide pecking order, but not sure how to allow this ? I just fear another fight.

As you can tell..........not real dog savy, but learning. These are our first 4 dogs & first time taking in a adult dog. Just worry probably way too much. Our dogs haven't been around dogs & working with this on dogs walks with other dogs. Has been going better than I thought & they even have ran off lead around others. So this just worried me more....not being around other dogs. Our female is 4 yrs. & our male 20 months.

Well, sorry to go on here ! I just want all to be good & didn't know how you truely know that or how to go about it ? I feel I have been doing it slow as Leerburg states, but feel I should let them play, but this scares me so bad. Muzzels needed ?

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, & help............

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Introducing ??? How do you truely know............

there are many people here way more qualified than i am to answer your questions, but i just want to say that (IMHO) you can NEVER worry way too much when it comes to the safety of your animals, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

we have two separate packs here, the two shepherds and the three rescues...we use x-pens and baby gates, rotate the packs for play time, time with us, and sleeping time. it's a huge amount of work, lots of people would not be willing, but we love these dogs.

i know you'll get a bunch of great suggestions, and thank you for taking in a rescue. there are so many in need.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Elite Member

I'm not all that experienced with GSD introductions, our two must be kept separated at all times even though they are littermates. We hope one day to reunite them but not today.

However, I was recommended this book by someone here and found it absolutely essential to reading the subtle signs. Then I went back and looked at early photos of our two germans together and all the warning signs were right there in the photos. So maybe get the book and start taking photos right away of all of them together to analyze later.

Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide by Brenda Aloff
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB856

Now I am able to detect little spits and spats between all our dogs and whether this butt sniff is done in a rude manner and so forth. It's a fascinating book and I'm so glad I got it even though it is pricey. I think I got mine used on Amazon for quite a bit less. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

katieliz,

Thank you & thank you for your understanding.

I'm happy that we saved this boys life, but it hasn't been an easy road. Almost gave up & re-homed him, but he's here, we love him, & don't want to give up !

I say it hasn't been easy b/c you are taking on adult that has issues & set in their ways, going to work on that & have been trying. Doing the NILIF on all dogs !

I have done obed. training with our male GS the most. I just have seen him in a wierd phase (fearful) & don't know if this is just a age phase or what ? We have done about 3 classes & need more. Our female has only done 1 class & have her in agility now.

She needs to listen more, pushy ! All do ! Do wonderful on leads, but off when my 2 are together.................don't listen so well !

I need to do obed with the rescue b/c he needs to learn to LEAVE IT BAD ! This dog I just can't put my finger on.

He is wonderful 1 on 1 ! He loves people (NEVER fear him with people). Wags his tail at everyone. He is good at people walking by the house, doesn't even bark at them. My other 3 dogs do ! Working on that. He does good with kids also. He seems so laid back & has that sad look when he looks at ya.

Thing is................then he changes !!! When he see a animal or another dog, he goes into excitement ? prey mode ! He will chase & wants to get now !

Deer, oh boy ! Rabbits !

He starts a pace back & forth & then whines. I tell him LEAVE IT & get him moving.

I tried to show him a toad & tell him to leave it tonight. Well, he did good a few hops & then took a bite at it. Didn't hurt the toad TG, but if it moves....he wants !

This I found when walking him on lead & other dogs around him over the weekend was off lead, he whinned, pulled, & wanted to go ! I'm just not sure how he would be off lead with them or our dogs ! He's so laid back, but gets too excited acting & just don't know ???

He will nip at faces when he gets this way sometimes. Like...he was on lead & a dog of passed him, he would slightly pull & try to nip at them. Not always though.

I just hate to keep him away from our 3 dog pack when it seems like they want to get along. Just off lead running & playing scares me.

So wierd he wants to get at things so bad, b/c he is so laid back when he doesn't see a critter !

I need alot of advice & which route or steps I need to take ?

~Thanks much~

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Strongheart,

Thanks for your advice & recommending that book to us !

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to melonyjhsn

Maybe you could hire a pro behaviorist to come out and observe your dogs and give you a good idea of what’s going on. A good one will give you ideas on how to do intros, when to split them up before trouble breaks out, who’s most likely to get along with who, and so on. It would be money well spent for some much needed peace of mind.

Melony

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well...thanks, but I see alot of looks & not many replies.

I know I'm not alone taking in adult dog & would really like to know how people do it & trust it ? Many people rescue or foster so, how do you know a fight might not happen, etc ??????

I just don't know how alot people own many dogs & everything be A ok !

I see signs of them getting along on rides & walks, but how to trust or go about letting them play ? One takes something the wrong way & might have a fight, just not sure.

Just was hoping the many people that rescue, foster, etc might give us some great advice or suggestions. I know not every dog people bring in their homes/rescues can get along with each other.

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page