need to vent!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

need to vent!!

yea i know i said i wouldnt come back to this site, well here i am. anyway we just got back from training today and we stayed after for a bit working on restraints. well let me fill u in first. these women work at the vet tyson goes to, he is not good with restaint, i've never worked on it with him so ill take the blame for that one.

here is one thing that pushed me the wrong way, one of the women has a GSD. its an over sized gsd, the same age as tyson but 65 pounds, tyson is 50 (tyson is 4 months old). she tried to tell me that he wasnt the age i said he was.. because of his size and bone structure, and the fact he still has all his puppy teeth..on top of that they were pretty much pushing me to neuter bc she "nueters and spays all her dogs and haveing an un nuetered dog in the house could be like haveing a loaded weopon." keep in mind tho that my trainer is not a big fan of shepherds, not that she doesnt have any knowledge of them, she's just not a fan because of how they have been bread, even tho i dont agree with her on these things i do respect her as our trainer. ok i feel better now

steve

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Knighted Member

Re: need to vent!!

My obedience trainer was pushing me to get my puppy spayed as well during one of our classes. I just say politely that it'll get done. They just don't need to know when.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Couple of questions -- what type of restraint are you talking about? Tethering or leash? For how long and in what conditions? We are talking about a 4 month old puppy correct?

And I would really rethink using a trainer that in even an indirect way says you are a liar and also doesn't approve of your breed.

Wow a loaded weapon huh? Glad I didn't know that as I lay sleeping with three of them in my house. And to think I alowed them near my grandbabies.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

I have never mentioned this before, but please edit your comments.

I know you were on a different post, but not knlowing your background with dogs, it is difficult to render an opionion regarding the trainer, except to say in my personal experience most are highly over rated.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

What type of restraint????

If you are uncomfortable with the trainer, run, go find a different trainer.

Ignore the other Shep owner or nicely tell her to take care of her dog and you will take care of Tyson.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ILGHAUSCouple of questions -- what type of restraint are you talking about? Tethering or leash? For how long and in what conditions? We are talking about a 4 month old puppy correct?

And I would really rethink using a trainer that in even an indirect way says you are a liar and also doesn't approve of your breed.

Wow a loaded weapon huh? Glad I didn't know that as I lay sleeping with three of them in my house. And to think I alowed them near my grandbabies.
heres an example: when we go to the vet, he squirms and tries to get away from the dr. these women work at the same vet and wanted to help me work with him so that he isnt such a pain in the a** when they go to be examined, vaccinate, check ups etc etc. t

the loaded weopon, "liar" comments came from the other "helper" woman with the "large shepherd." she seems to think that he is small, and not his appropriate maturity for the age i said he was. he is right at the breed standard so far for his age..wtf? her pup is the same age and 65 pounds, 25 pounds heavier than the breed standard for that age. i think i should print a page off of the breed standard for weight and height to show her lol then maybe she will keep her comments to herself

steve

"h*ll on wheels"

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Master Member

hum my GSD is 50-55 lbs and full grown...Unless I'm lying about the age. lol I like her smaller size.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Elite Member

first of all, its nice to see you back. i knew you couldnt stay away, (GRIN).
tell teh trainer helper that you are greatful for her input on his size but you are very happy with the size of him and so is he. tell her that you may not be a professional GSD handler but you have done enough research to know that his size is nothing to worry about and that hers is just over grown. if she pushes it, you can be a bit of a (you fill in the blank) and say, more under your breath than anything 'AT LEAST HE ISNT ON STEROIDS' she probably isnt giving him but hey, if she want s to be like that you can too.

as to the one with the hate on against gsd tell them point blank that at least you have a real dog and that he is a pup and has to get use to vets. most adults dont like drs and most adult animals and small animals dont like vets. print off the breed standard and give it too them. as to the loaden weapon. Wow, and to think i sleep in a house with one and dont wear a flap jacket. maybe i should have a complete suit made for my granddaughter since she is around so many 'weapons;

I'd rather be hated for who i am than loved for who im not. An old shoshoni saying about loosing someone you love, MY HEART IS ON THE GROUND, NOW I MUST PICK IT UP AND MOVE ON
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: bearlasmom Wow, and to think i sleep in a house with one and dont wear a flap jacket.
Don't you mean a flak jacket? I think flap jacket is something you might wear when making pancakes?

Hello lch2, glad to see you're sticking with it. Something else to think about- since these two seem to have a certain "attitude" toward tyson, is it possible that their presence at the vet has an effect on tyson's behaviour-it could be they are not the best choice to be working with "restraints" with tyson. Don't think that he is not perceptive to the negative attitude. Consider that and watch him closely when they're around-not so much for the visible reaction, but for the subtle messages that he may be sending out.

Have you tried taking tyson down to the vet's for a casual visit without the examinations. You could try that for a period of time to see if he eases up.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54

Have you tried taking tyson down to the vet's for a casual visit without the examinations. You could try that for a period of time to see if he eases up.
hmm..thats a good idea, heck i could do it right now, i would like to get an exact weight on him anyway. standing on the scale with and then without him is gettin kinda harder

o and i need to fix this...he is 20 weeks old so by that he is 5 months, by the calender he is 4.5 months

steve

"h*ll on wheels"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page