How do you know your dog is getting enuf exercise? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How do you know your dog is getting enuf exercise?

Kodee is 9 mos old and 70 lbs. He's a housedog, and I try to exercise him with walks and playing fetch out back, but he is never left alone outdoors, which limits his time outside, of course. He does not seem restless or destructive, he has had quite a bit of obedience training (at home by me), and the vet says he's in excellent shape.

However, I have not gotten outside with him a lot this winter, which makes me feel guilty, even though he seems perfectly fine with the exercise he's getting. We also play catch in the house, or "find it" every evening before bed. He gets training sessions usually 1-3 times (briefly) throughout the day. Last night was nice out til late, so he played frisbee at about 8:00 p.m. last night, which is unusual right now (weather in KS is iffy still). He sleeps through the night without acting restless (when we go to my room at night he lays down and goes right to sleep, normally). I know as spring warms up and summer comes, we will be outside all the time (with my 3 kids also). I can't wait!

But for now, what I want to know is: How do you know if your GSD is getting enough (or too little) exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Banned

Re: How do you know your dog is getting enuf exercise?

It sounds like you are doing great with your dog.

As for exercise, I am totally convinced most of us can never give our dogs enough exercise. Heck, upon demand they can go all day, so just do the best you can.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Master Member

Re: How do you know your dog is getting enuf exercise?

I have not met too many GSD's that say, "that's enough" when it comes to exercise. Mind stimulation or 'mental exercises' seem to be a necessary part of the GSD's exercise as much as physical. It sounds like you are doing a lot to keep your dog happy. Restless and destructive would be words I would use to describe an exercise deprived dog.

Inga Vom Holtzberg-Black GSD
Chaco-White Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page