What is the most impressive thing your GSD can do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

What is the most impressive thing your GSD can do?

This is surely going to be different for everyone, but what is the single most impressive thing your GSD can do?

Maybe some type of command you have trained him/her with, or even something he just does on his/her own that makes you think "wow, what an intelligent animal". If its something you trained, explain how you did it!

Aaron (me)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
("Rye-Koh")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Master Member

Re: What is the most impressive thing your GSD can do?

I've taught her many things, but I'm always most impressed watching Dynamo catch frisbee's in flight. Obviously, this she learned on her own. The most impressive thing is seeing how she can calculate and track trajectories of in flight frisbees, especially when she correctly anticipates that it will hit a tree and correctly calculates the direction it will bounce off it, and changes her trajectory before the frisbee hits the tree. Wow!

SONIC (Potcake+BC) DOB JL 2014, Mine Jan 12 2016

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats: Riker, Simba, Batman
Angels: Dynamo GSD, Zandor GSD Mix, Misha GSD
Me: Artist, geeked out on dog training
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM

Re: What is the most impressive thing your GSD can

For friends and visitors Odin's most impressive trick is to get a can of soda out of the fridge and bring it to them. I like Coke but DW likes Pepsi. He will bring the correct can to us and if a vistor asks for Pepsi or Coke he knows which is which.

That's pretty good alright. It's not only complex and shows an understanding of something being different, but for me his most impressive trick is knowing what the words "last one" mean. I can use it for anything. The last treat he's going to get, the last toss of a stick, the last trick he has to do etc. This shows an understanding of time. I think that's his best. A favorite story I have about that is from one day when we were at the park and I had been tossing the frisbee, throwing the ball, and tossing a stick (his favorite) with him for quite awhile in an open area that families often share. I said, "Okay, last one!" and Odin dutifully put the stick back in the woods and dropped it there, grabbed his ball and put it in the frisbee and then grabbed that like a plate and jumped into the stationwagon I had at the time. A young mother obviously being pulled in several directions by three little kids yelled over "Can you teach THEM how to do that?!?".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Knighted Member

I saw this thread this morning and was hoping there would be an Odin story here. What an amazing dog!

Elmo is about 15 months old so he's still learning. He knows the name of all of his toys and some by their color (red Cuz versus green). I just taught him how to dunk his ball into a basketball hoop.

I've read about dogs opening doors by turning knobs and then I look at my goofy Elmo. If the door is shut but not all the way, he looks at me to open it for him. He doesn't realize he can just push it open.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Knighted Member

I think the most impressive thing about Sarge is how him and I communicate with eachother. I say it and he does it, or he wants something from me and I can tell from his actions what it is hes trying to convey. An example would be, when we'er having snacks and theres no more left, hes sitting in front of me waitting on the next one. I brush my hands together and say, all gone, no more. He just walks away because he knows theres no more.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDadFor friends and visitors Odin's most impressive trick is to get a can of soda out of the fridge and bring it to them. I like Coke but DW likes Pepsi. He will bring the correct can to us and if a vistor asks for Pepsi or Coke he knows which is which.

That's pretty good alright. It's not only complex and shows an understanding of something being different, but for me his most impressive trick is knowing what the words "last one" mean. I can use it for anything. The last treat he's going to get, the last toss of a stick, the last trick he has to do etc. This shows an understanding of time. I think that's his best. A favorite story I have about that is from one day when we were at the park and I had been tossing the frisbee, throwing the ball, and tossing a stick (his favorite) with him for quite awhile in an open area that families often share. I said, "Okay, last one!" and Odin dutifully put the stick back in the woods and dropped it there, grabbed his ball and put it in the frisbee and then grabbed that like a plate and jumped into the stationwagon I had at the time. A young mother obviously being pulled in several directions by three little kids yelled over "Can you teach THEM how to do that?!?".
You should do a video of either one of those things and post it up here. It would be cool to see.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

Grimm is intuitive to the extreme, combined with being a supersnuggly nurturer. He singles out the very aged, the very infirm, the disabled, those with mental and psychological impairments, and babies. He makes himself available to these people, with or without my permission... or, he tries to. He will pass three vigorous, healthy, preoccupied people on the street, but then sit and lean towards an ancient grandma toddling slowly up the sidewalk, offering himself for petting. He lays down flat-- chin between paws-- on the ground for babies, trying to look tiny. (hard when you are rhinocerous sized)

Grimm strongly gravitates towards anyone with a hurting body, mind or soul-- and offers his warmth and care.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: butch33611
Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDadFor friends and visitors Odin's most impressive trick is to get a can of soda out of the fridge and bring it to them. I like Coke but DW likes Pepsi. He will bring the correct can to us and if a vistor asks for Pepsi or Coke he knows which is which.

You should do a video of either one of those things and post it up here. It would be cool to see.
Quite likely to happen, Butch. My father-in-law asked what we wanted most for the baby we have due this summer and we both said "A digital video camera!". LOL!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Crowned Member

Most impressive to me:
Luca's ability to walk off lead and be well-behaved among strangers.

Most impressive to others:
Catching ice cubes that I spit into the air! (yes, that's our parlor trick at cocktail parties!)

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

Luca says, "Arf!"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Think i'd have to go with a similar answer to Butch and Sarge. I talk to Mya when asking her to do something as if i were talking to a person. A simple "hey move for a second?" promts her to get up and move out of my way, watching to make sure she doesnt get under my feet. This works great when im climbing the basement stairs with a basket piled high with laundry and i cant see where im going. She also does the "all done" if i take her to BK for some chicken nuggets, she gets to come to the front seat to snack, but when i say "all done" and sighs and climbs into the back of the truck. She's really smart at knowing what i want from her, and she seems to know a large vocabulary of "commands" i ask of her throughout the day. Our pitbull teddy is in sort of a rehabiliting phase, and her help to show him what behavior im looking for is amazing. He gets really excited when going outside and jumps and flails around when i try to put his leash on. Asking Mya to sit and wait (NILIF -me going 1st through the door, etc.) actually calms him down so that he will follow her lead.

The company favorite: her trick "acting bashful". She will lay INTO your lap and start covering her eyes with her paws making a cute groaning sound like she NEEDS to be pet or she'll just die! LOL It works everytime, and now she does it without command. The second our guests butt hits the couch, shes right there showing them just how cute she can be!

Ailyn, Mommy to:

Mya - 3 year old GSD
Bear - 1 year old GSD
Abby - 3 year old ACD/shep mix
Teddy - 2 year old amer. pit bull

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page