We found a GSD pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We found a GSD pup

Mods, if this is wrong place, sorry.

So my DH leaves for work at 0545, well this morning he calls at 0555 and says you better meet me in the drive way. I get up and run out there and here he comes up the driveway with a female GSD pup, he said he she ran out in front of him twice. I'd say she is between 5-7 months old maybe. She is all skin and bones. You can see her hips. She was very scared but showed no agression at all. He said do what you need to and left. Since I got to get to work soon, I put her in the big crate, gave her food and water.

I am not sure what to do, I have never seen her around here and whoever owns her doesn't take care of her at all. In my heart I want to keep her but I am not sure. HELP please!!

Anyway below is a pic of her, I will try and get better ones later today.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your DOG. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~ Anonymous

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Re: We found a GSD pup

She is beautiful!

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

Oh, she's gorgeous!
If it were me, I'd SO want to keep her. Obviously whoever owns her doesn't deserve her. You wonder what will happen first, if she's returned - will she starve or get hit by a car?? (God, I hate people sometimes.)
It's a tough situation you're in here, no doubt. If I were you, I'd probably take her to my vet and see if she's chipped. If not, I would assume she's a stray (insert wide-eyed, innocent look here) and either keep her myself, or contact a rescue and see if someone could find her a good home.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Knighted Member

You need to find out what the legal requirements are in your area. In some places you could be charged with theft if you find an animal and fail to make a found report with your local animal control/police department.
In her poor condition I doubt that anyone is looking for her, but just to be safe make sure you file a found report with whatever agency you need to.
Sheilah
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Shelah, def. check with Animal Control and the vets in your area to see if anyone has reported missing the dog....she might be in such bad shape as she's been on the run for awhile??? But try to make sure she doesn't have an owner before you get too attached. She is beautiful!!!!
Rosa

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Meb

I would also put take her picture and put up posters around your area. Maybe someone lost her and has been looking and its been awhile and thats why she is so thin. Maybe not, but it is worth a try. I found a pit bull mix a few years ago that someone had dropped off? by our house and put posters up and an elderly couple called me and drove 10 miles to my house cause the dog looked like one that they lost a year ago. It wasnt their dog but they were still looking. I ended up calling animal control and they took the dog and I watched their site everyday and the dog did get adopted out within a week.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

She is very pretty and I’d want to keep her too. It could be somebody is frantically looking for her and it might not be a case of “not deserving her” at all. I’ve read a lot of posts on this board about dogs being lost and their owners being sick about it.

I am with the others, make sure she doesn’t have an owner - how you don’t get attached to a face like that is beyond me – and if not, welcome her to your family!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

OH I would have thought it was Christmastime!

Yeah, call & report to the police department ... and keep us posted!

A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty.
--------------------------------------------------
Maxwell's Silver Hammer GSD/Dobie X

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Master Member

I'd say take to the Vet check for a chip and then call the shelter to ask for a report. I would not post pics- I don't trust people. If someone is looking for her, they would contact the shelter.

Then... Keep her!!! She looks sweet. Maybe she was just meant for you guys and fate led her there? (romanticizing yes... but a nice thought).

Good luck! keep us posted!

Fur Mom to Miss Ruby, Zora the Exlpora cat and Falon a.k.a Big Boy
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Knighted Member

If only dogs could talk. lol.

Report the found dog to the appropriate authorities. If your newpaper has free lost and found ads, place one. If you really become attached and keep her, you can live with a clean conscience that you did the best you can to find her owner.

While growing up, my family had a GS that dug her way out of the backyard on a rainy night. We were so worried. Luckily some good person in our neighborhood took her into their garage and called on the rabies tag she was wearing. How many people are willing to take in a GS considering their reputation?

You got a good man there. He said do what you have to. That alone opens a lot of possibilities. lol.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page