German Shepherds Forum banner

Wolf Hybrid dna test?

931 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  wolfy dog 
#1 ·
If there is a DNA test for wolf content, what is the best one? A pregnant mom is concerned about this. Her "husky", adopted as shelter pup, now 7 years old) looks kinda wolfy and she just wants to make sure there is no wolf in him.

#2 · (Edited)
not sure of the accuracy, but Embark supposedly can identify wolf and coyote dna. a friends dog came back showing 9% supermutt with Grey Wolf likely. she chose Embark specifically because of their claim as we both suspected her dog had something “wild” in her. assumed she’d come back as husky or malamute - test showed neither.

#3 ·
Actually, due to a recent thread here I looked at both Embark and Wisdom Panel. Both have wolf and coyote DNA profiles in their respective databases, so either could tell if this dog has wolf in it.

#4 ·
Would she dump the dog after owning the dog for seven years if he had small amount of wolf in him and only for that reason. That is a lot of responsibility to put in a maybe not 100% accurate test. It is sad how many people dump dogs and make excuses when they have babies. Another reason why there are many homeless purebreds. A husky that has a high prey drive or any dog for that matter needs to be supervised with babies and young kids.

#6 ·
I wouldn't do it.

If the dog has behavioral issues, address them. If the dog has some content wolf per the test, it is worse to know, because lots of areas ban wolf-dogs and not only that but rabies is legally not effective in wolf hybrids. That means if the dog gets bitten by a raccoon in the backyard, and they find out it has wolf in it, the dog will be killed and head sent to the lab in short order.

I don't see any benefit in knowing.

#7 ·
Same with pet Skunks in my area. They break skin, they are toast. Apparently the vaccine does not have an approved success rate for them or something of that nature (a lady at an exotic pet store told me they cold not get it because the vaccine can make them actually sick..not sure if that was accurate or not).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.