German Shepherds Forum banner

Daily Poop Patrol.

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
Actually I'm a couple days behind... usually it's every day...

lucky for me I have them both trained to go in 11 or 13 dedicated places..... so it's pretty easy...

Mitch has a couple new secret poopin spots....but I'm wise to him.

Mitch & Ivy in front of pooptown....

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah...

I figure we all gotta do it... right?

Been feeding Natures Logic for a few years.... and things are very uniform and dare I say... nice.

what do ya'll do with yer poop?

I've had pooptown for about 15 years....
actually dug it out and pushed it back a little the other day with the backhoe.... looks like some pretty good soil when you turn it over... LOL !

funny... when I tell the dogs Im gonna do poop patrol and start walking towards the shovel & bucket... they get all excited...

it's like they know I'm on the hunt....

#6 ·
Oh yeah.

my female could care less, she is off chasing chipmunks or whatever...

the male walks ahead of me the whole time and watches to see if I find them all..... I see him giving me the hairy eyeball once in a while..... It's all a big game. these dogs are too dang smart sometime

#5 ·
Sitka once vomited a whole poop.... not an intestinal blockage, this definitely made through his sphincter :p

#7 · (Edited)
Interesting subject, as Rolf chews contentedly on his morning duck neck, Hans snoozes at my feet, and I am having my coffee!
LOL

I pick it up immediately and bag it, then I put it in one of those wonderful metal trash cans that are made in the USA.... Behrens. Keeps the smell contained until Tuesday, trash day. I even spray painted it dark bronze so it will blend into the landscape and not be such an eyesore.
Recently, with a puppy that went 100 times a day and small poops that I couldn’t find, I bought some red silicone coasters, to throw next to the poo as he goes so I could find it immediately as soon as I put the dog up. I congratulate myself repeatedly for this brilliant idea, no searching for 10 minutes in the grass.

Also, if I have a few I didn’t pick up and I say to Hans, “Come on, let’s scoop the yard,” he gets all excited and bounds out, then makes one, even if he already went that day.
I used to get annoyed, because that give me more work, but now I just laugh.

Um... May I ask, is that a mountain of poop within those wooden walls?

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Lol! That reminds me of when I was a kid. My grandparents and aunts and uncles all lived on farms. We went up every weekend my mom was off. They had cattle. Once I was running around out there with my cousins and climbed over a fence, jumped down and landed up past my ankles in cow manure! Lost my flip flops, legs covered in poop! I hadn't noticed they had jumped further out off the fence! Evidently that was a spot where they dumped the manure after scooping the carral! I'd wonder if you have like a bubbling brew there! That didn't really have any stronger ordor than regular farm smell out there, it just looked like dirt, till I landed in it!!
but know that people that live out on farms etc often have areas that is like the poop dump! I don't know if they "moved" it or used for fertilizer or what!

#10 ·
I used to compost the poop when I had the kennel. Definitely a better alternative than lugging stinky bags of it off to the dump, with all the windows down, and my head hanging out to escape the smell!

I started doing that in winter, when the turds were surrounded by ice and snow. The dump charges by the pound, and here I am paying to dump frozen water?? SERIOUSLY??

So, I started a compost pile at the edge of the property. By spring everything was freeze-dried, crumbly and ODOUR-FREE!!

#11 ·
I used to compost the poop when I had the kennel. Definitely a better alternative than lugging stinky bags of it off to the dump, with all the windows down, and my head hanging out to escape the smell!

I started doing that in winter, when the turds were surrounded by ice and snow.
Yeah, I heard you’re not allowed to put dog poop in the trash in Ontario. Dang!!

#12 ·
It can now go in the green bin, but there are restrictions on the amount. I'm not sure you could get away with it if you had a large amount.

I currently have 2 dogs, put the poop (and cat litter from one cat) in my green bin, and haven't had any problems. But back then, I'd have like 20 or 30 lbs. of poop a week!

#13 ·
I only have one dog. But I put it all in a long pile in one of the flower beds in the backyard to dry/compost. Even with just one dog it grows at times to be about a foot and a half high and about 4 ft long. It really doean't smell at all.

After it's been there awhile it weighs a fraction of what it did initially. Then I bag it up and put it in the trashcan. If I had more space I'd conpost it more and use it for fertilizer, but I just don't have the space currently.

#17 ·
Why? I composted everything organic. And I do mean everything. Kitchen waste-cooked bones, coffee filters, veggie scraps, food soaked paper towels, etc-bathroom trash-Kleenex, hair, etc-yard waste-grass, leaves, dog waste, small branches.
I can tell you that the dogs toilet corner was year after year the healthiest grass and the compost soil that I made was great soil. Huge, fat, healthy worms in there and my yard looked like a park. I used the soil in my gardens and spread leftovers around the trees and bushes every fall.
Yard Backyard Lawn Grass Tree

Sky Grass Tree House Yard

#15 ·
Dog poo as compost? Wow.

Anyway. I pick up every AM and every afternoon - later n the day. If a straggler gets by, that gets picked up, too. Have separate trash receptacle with tons of heavy 44 gauge trash bags to put poo into, using a lean, quick blade shovel with sawed off handle. Takes 4-5 mins to clean up after three GSD’s.

Every day. I personally can’t look at a mine field in my backyard.

Keep grass cut short.

When the bag gets 20-30 lbs in weight, I take it to a commercial / company dumpster which my company owns.

My local, residential municipality never handles my dog waste- not in 23 years.

It’s always disposed of in a dumpster, picked up commercially.

#16 ·
My dog saves his poop for walks but we live in such an urban area, there are doggy waste containers everywhere. He understands when I say "Throw Away! Throw Away!" - he'll walk expectantly with me to the bin and watch me hurl it in.

I tried to make my own compost and then we found little holes and burrows all over the yard - the Voles had moved in, to munch on the tasty veggies/fruit waste I was putting into the bin. (Nifty critters, they tunneled into the bin from underneath.) Then we heard "woo hoo hoo" on our roof every night - an owl had moved in, to hunt the voles. Then we saw a Fox passing silently across the back of the yard, and I gave up...because of the compost, our yard had turned into a Nature Show! Now I just buy bags from Home Depot.

#21 ·
My dog has been long term on 2 medications, one an immune suppressor, the other an anti-fungal medication. There's the probability a percentage of the drugs ends up in his poop. I'd hesitate to introduce his bio matter into the ecosystem at my place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.