German Shepherds Forum banner

Thinking out loud about second dog

5K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  Nigel 
#1 ·
Ok, here it goes. It's been a year that I had to give up Griff due to a pretty bad shoulder injury. He is fine and happy in his new home btw. So, shoulder has healed but it is thanks to me being vigilant. Back surgery has healed and as long as I watch what I am doing it's OK too. The "problem" is that I can't get used to having one dog. I miss the interactions, the play, the occasional chaos etc. Of course a second GSD is out of the question. I was hoping to get back to sight hounds (had Whippets for many years) because of their gentle demeanor (Whippet or Borzoi), which is easy on my structure but Deja has this rough play style and I am not sure if that will be a good combination as they have to live together in one house. Then a friend is thinking about breeding her Border Terrier next year, cute and sturdy little dogs. :headbang:
I did a few steps back and asked myself what I would advice a dog training client who would present me with this dilemma. Answer: get a nice male Lab. :grin2:
Any other ideas?

#2 ·
We had a thread on American vs English labs a while ago. Did you read that? I make myself a little anxious doing the same thing you are. Do I want a slightly older balanced German Shepherd that is past the puppy stage with some training on it? Or a black field Lab puppy so I can copy Stonnie Dennis’ Labrador Retrievers training plans? Then I think a full sized Aussie puppy for agility and fly ball would be so much fun. After that I run through other herding breeds. ACD, Collie, even a Shelty or a Kelpie. And of course, I still want a therapy dog. Since I have two dogs that get along, are reasonably well trained and nice house dogs, I haven’t done more than stress over it. Then I think maybe we should just move to the country and get one of each (not going to happen). So, I have no advice at all to offer except I’m going to read everything you post to see what you decide.

#4 ·
I went with a nice male lab and it's working out wonderfully, he's also very laid back and mild mannered but isn't really an English lab. My roommate has a small breed dog that mine could play with but it just wasn't the same as having another full sized dog to roughhouse with. I've personally found that labs and german shepherds do well together play wise. The labs I've all been around are more submissive or happy go lucky and so very tolerant of german shepherds play type.

I think a too much smaller breed or the sighthounds probably wouldn't get you the result you're hoping for playwise.

Is there anything special you'd like to do with another dog? Or just looking for something more low key? There are a ton of other breeds out there. I've heard good things about Vizslas although I've never had any experience with them personally. My dad's friend breeds them and they were an option I forgot to look into more when choosing another dog. Have heard that they bond really tightly to their person.

Spaniel types can be good, the ones I've met are very loving and easy to handle. Also I have no clue why they did but for some reason Irish setter came to mind, even though I know nothing about them.

The Aussies that I've met that are good with other dogs are sturdy and masters at spinning circles around the other dogs, very fast and agile. Don't know that they're really gentle demeanor though and the ones I know are usually pretty hyper at least when young.

#5 ·
My BIL has a Schipperke and, maybe it would be better with the reverse situation, but she does not get along with my GSP pup. Again, could be because she's an adult- 4 or so- and is not used to annoying, big puppies. She in no way acts like a "big dog in a small package" - does the little dog growling and snapping. :)

#6 · (Edited)
All hunting/sports dogs are out except Labs. My "I-am-so-into-dogs" years are over. I enjoy Deja's activity levels and we have a great balance. I can hear you say, "Don't fix what ain't broken" :)
She is still too intense for a Collie. I don't care for Aussies or Shelties. Love CDs and Kelpis but can't give them what they need but they could easily get along with Deja. She does like Labs: she is infatuated with a male in Rally and the feelings are mutual.
I know the difference between the Eng and US lines. I don't care for the Eng type but a compromise between the two would be good. There is a breeder whose philosophy and dogs look good. 30 minute drive from here and I will at least check out his place and dogs. It all starts to sound pretty Labby, right? Borzois....so beautiful and gentle. Deja, so beautiful and still a wild girl

#8 ·
I've posted before that I want to get a collie, but as far as the sight hounds, I would like to see a silken wind hound! I have read about them, but never have seen one! They sound like a nice energic companion, nice family smaller size dog, but like you said, don't know how they would do with a shepherd! I saw a Weimaraner at a pet expo, he was there with a rescue group and I have to say I was drawn to his personality! Got to walk him around just a little! Pretty dog, lots of energy you could tell! Then at the summer dog show last year, we were sitting on the ground watching dock diving and the sweetest Aussie slipped beside me and put his paw on my leg! He was wet, his owner was like oh I'm sorry, but that made me kinda be lookin at Aussies too! Lol!
Just some of the ones that's stood out to me, but I'd still like to have another GSD too!

#11 ·
I mean in some Aussies the bobbed tail is its natural tail.

It does start to sound a little labby. Personally I'm not fond of most labs. My boy was the exception. I mean they're good dogs but most of them I would hate owning. Far too hyper and oh my god I'm so happy so can't sit still for 5 seconds.

By hunting/sports dogs are out and enjoying Deja's activity levels what do you mean by that? Some dog breeds that are techinically in that field are very mild. All the spaniels I know have been much calmer and more relaxed than most of the labs I know. Although I suppose some of that may go to show/pet/working lines as I have no clue on their lineage.

Also are you wanting a puppy from a good breeder or more just a second dog? If you're looking for just a second dog my best luck has been to just focus more on specific temperament than exact breed. Found some amazing dogs that way.

I have no clue on most details on lurchers but do you think most of those litters produced would be too much?

#13 ·
That's a good point Jax, but depending on the reasons well, 3 dogs in 7 years is not bad at all. I know people who go through more dogs than that in a year(not great owners but still) Right fits can be essential and sometimes things just don't work out. I've gone through more dogs than that in my search for a second dog but I'm not going to be ashamed for making sure that the dogs went to better fitting homes that they would've had with me.

2 dogs this year didn't work out but both went to amazing homes that they were the perfect fit for. (I took the time to try to find the right fit but previous owners weren't totally upfront.) If I hadn't been able to find good homes I would've perservered but why do that if you have other options? 3 times was the charm for me and I now have an amazing dog I can be happy with. Not to say I don't expect hiccups but he fits.

#12 ·
Okay so I think I have some insight on labs being I have one and I board a lot of them. And I have to say, including my own who I think is one of the most gentle I have ever met--- he can still be an idiot bruiser at times if you know what I mean. He's a hunky rhino shaped bullet with about that much finesse and grace in some of his dopey adolescent moments. I've been thrilled with his ability to make himself careful and gentle like when the baby is around or whatever but with your recent injury....I wouldn't even feel great about saying yeah take my dog and he is pretty darn gentle.

A good handful of the ones I board are real bruisers too although most of them are fat bored house pets who do nothing. But one of the ones I know is a housepet with not a ton of training but they do exercise him a lot and boy he can really be a rhino. Like go to put him in his kennel and he will put his head down and try to barge back out before you latch the gate on brute force alone. That's a classic english lab move, I board a couple who try that. If he bashes you int he face with the metal gate? Eh, that's your problem

So...my vote is no for you with the injury to get an english lab.

Also I board a ton of aussies. Their signature move is the flying ninja kidney punch. They are a rowdy bunch. Super jumpy. Tend to be much less strong and brutish but the flying leap ninja punches....jeez....not my cup of tee.

I also will say I agree with JAx, I think it's too soon.

What about fostering for a GSD rescue? Perhaps fostering mature males?

#16 ·
One more thought I had is this--- the two needs you said were a dog that could play rough with your other dog and a dog that obviously is gentle enough for your injury. I feel like those are kind of conflicting.

I've had plenty of dog pairs who didn't really play that much with each other. I feel like maybe an older adoption of a known to be gentle dog would be safest for you and then just no play or tell Deja she has got to tone it down.

Also, was there a definite resolution to her health problem? Is she fit to play rough with some new dog?

#19 ·
Cardigan welsh corgi? My handler breeds them, as well as GSDs, and I've fallen in love with those short-legged goof balls. Plus they have tails, lol.

#20 ·
I truly understand how you feel. But. I had surgery last week, I have an occupational therapy appointment in a few hours, so I'm living with the reality of dog ownership and protecting an injury. From my health perspective, I wonder if you have considered there's a difference between the fantasy and the reality of getting a second dog with 2 significant albeit healed injuries?

#30 ·
The Pembrokes that I know are brats and just generally obnoxious. Very cute, to be sure. I have a couple of Cardigan breeder friends that started with Pems, and switched to the cardigans. They both said they were easier to deal with, easier to train.

#39 ·
"As long as I watch what I am doing it's ok too" Shoulder healed thanks to you being vigilant. I just really feel that neither of these statements means any large breed puppy is a good idea. Any large breed puppy is going to have boistrous, foolish moments.

Any injury can be aggravated by lesser impact later.

If you were my friend I would say don't get another dog at all but if you absolutely must--consider fostering older males perhaps for a whippet rescue and tell Deja she can't be rough with them. Maybe you fall in love with one that fits into your world and is gentle. But if you aggravate an injury or realize 2 dogs is not for you all you've committed to is helping a dog find it's forever home. win, win.

#40 · (Edited)
I have never had a sight hound but have read they are real couch potatoes in the house. I agree the borzoi are beautiful dogs, I was reading about them when I came across the silken wind hound. Sounds like you have a love of the sight hounds, reminds me of how the German shepherd has like a "siren call" to me! My gsds planted the seed! But reading thru the thread, one thing I thought of was that Deja also will be aging too. Is she 6? She might appreciate a quieter dog in the house in her more golden years. The play would be different, maybe not so much wrestling type play, you'd know more on that than I. Cody and Clipper were like 11 when moo came to live with us, moo was about 4?
They tolerated him, but he'd race around, try to get them to chase, they would a little, but then watch him, go about they business. I used to say they were thinking "if I was a couple years younger, I'd show you a run for your money"!! Cody was the fun police so I guess he got his chuckles in! I also had outside time for just the shepherds and outside time just for moo, they seemed to appreciate the "down time". But I guess I'm saying it might not be a bad idea of a dog like a borzoi, with a puppy they just might develope the type of play that works for them.

#42 ·
I had a bad run of luck and lost 3 in about 3 years. Two might have even been closer to same year. One young one to a previouslt undiagnosed congenital defect, a 10 y/o to hemangio, and a 17 y/o of everything fell apart due to age. Nobody could hope a dog lives past 17.

I know those dogs had great lives and there was nothing else that could have been done.

As for age gap, my one is 4 and the other 18mos and they are really enjoying each other. 4 y/o still spry enough to play with the puppy. Last time it was an 8 week old with two 9 year olds. My male played with him when he was a baby but as soon as he got to adolescence it was way too rough for the old dog. He abruptly passed from hemangio at 10 when my other one was 9 months so it was a short lived problem.

#44 ·
If you are still reading this, you might want to consider a much smaller dog that won’t put any physical stress on your shoulder. A woman down the street always had Dobies, but the last one was an older rescue that came with a lot of baggage. She finally decided a big dog was too much for them, went to a local pet store adoption days and over a period of several months, came home with three smaller dogs. The only criteria was that they had to either have some training or be trainable, be young, under 2, and get along with each other and her family. She is expecting grandchildren, so she tested them with children, safely of course. They all look like mixes, they are partially trained and she is having a great time with them. She has never owned a small dog before. Her husband retired and he walks them and trains them. After having aggressive Dobermans, the littler dogs are easy. They all look like small fluffy mixes, ranging from 15-20 pounds. Two are probably terrier types and one is more of a spaniel.

#46 ·
Back but done explaining myself. I have decided to wait longer. Today Deja saw her best friend in the neighborhood (an older GSD) and she was pretty rough and I had to manage her play style. That was just the reminder I needed. (Thank you universe!). The years go by fast and by the time Deja slows down, I probably will have to go back to smaller dogs like Luv said.

#47 ·
My parent's adopted an ex-racing greyhound who was wonderful. My mom had him in her 60s into her 70s and was always able to walk and handle him just fine. I think if you wait until Deja settles down, a sighthound of some kind could work out, especially since you are familiar with their temperments and like them.

#48 ·
We almost adopted an ex-racing greyhound! We actually went to a rescue event and met some, I thought they were great. They sleep a lot...and just need to have a few minutes of extreme zoomies daily. Due to the track regime, they come leashtrained and muzzletrained. However my husband was set on a GSD and rejected greyhounds as being "strange-looking" with their thin bodies and pointy heads. Rumo has been an easy dog but during his coat blows, I do think wistfully of that sleek short greyhound fur...

#49 ·
I don't think you have to limit yourself to "small" breeds" and I don't think you should give up on adding another, just choose wisely with sound logical reasoning behind your choice. There are dogs out there that'll be a good match for you and Deja and the right dog can increase the quality of life for you both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.