Thinking out loud about second dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thinking out loud about second dog

Ok, here it goes. It's been a year that I had to give up Griff due to a pretty bad shoulder injury. He is fine and happy in his new home btw. So, shoulder has healed but it is thanks to me being vigilant. Back surgery has healed and as long as I watch what I am doing it's OK too. The "problem" is that I can't get used to having one dog. I miss the interactions, the play, the occasional chaos etc. Of course a second GSD is out of the question. I was hoping to get back to sight hounds (had Whippets for many years) because of their gentle demeanor (Whippet or Borzoi), which is easy on my structure but Deja has this rough play style and I am not sure if that will be a good combination as they have to live together in one house. Then a friend is thinking about breeding her Border Terrier next year, cute and sturdy little dogs.
I did a few steps back and asked myself what I would advice a dog training client who would present me with this dilemma. Answer: get a nice male Lab.
Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

We had a thread on American vs English labs a while ago. Did you read that? I make myself a little anxious doing the same thing you are. Do I want a slightly older balanced German Shepherd that is past the puppy stage with some training on it? Or a black field Lab puppy so I can copy Stonnie Dennis’ Labrador Retrievers training plans? Then I think a full sized Aussie puppy for agility and fly ball would be so much fun. After that I run through other herding breeds. ACD, Collie, even a Shelty or a Kelpie. And of course, I still want a therapy dog. Since I have two dogs that get along, are reasonably well trained and nice house dogs, I haven’t done more than stress over it. Then I think maybe we should just move to the country and get one of each (not going to happen). So, I have no advice at all to offer except I’m going to read everything you post to see what you decide.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Look into Schipperkes.
They are very compatible with GSDs. Big dog in a small package.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ok, here it goes. It's been a year that I had to give up Griff due to a pretty bad shoulder injury. He is fine and happy in his new home btw. So, shoulder has healed but it is thanks to me being vigilant. Back surgery has healed and as long as I watch what I am doing it's OK too. The "problem" is that I can't get used to having one dog. I miss the interactions, the play, the occasional chaos etc. Of course a second GSD is out of the question. I was hoping to get back to sight hounds (had Whippets for many years) because of their gentle demeanor (Whippet or Borzoi), which is easy on my structure but Deja has this rough play style and I am not sure if that will be a good combination as they have to live together in one house. Then a friend is thinking about breeding her Border Terrier next year, cute and sturdy little dogs.
I did a few steps back and asked myself what I would advice a dog training client who would present me with this dilemma. Answer: get a nice male Lab.
Any other ideas?
I went with a nice male lab and it's working out wonderfully, he's also very laid back and mild mannered but isn't really an English lab. My roommate has a small breed dog that mine could play with but it just wasn't the same as having another full sized dog to roughhouse with. I've personally found that labs and german shepherds do well together play wise. The labs I've all been around are more submissive or happy go lucky and so very tolerant of german shepherds play type.

I think a too much smaller breed or the sighthounds probably wouldn't get you the result you're hoping for playwise.

Is there anything special you'd like to do with another dog? Or just looking for something more low key? There are a ton of other breeds out there. I've heard good things about Vizslas although I've never had any experience with them personally. My dad's friend breeds them and they were an option I forgot to look into more when choosing another dog. Have heard that they bond really tightly to their person.

Spaniel types can be good, the ones I've met are very loving and easy to handle. Also I have no clue why they did but for some reason Irish setter came to mind, even though I know nothing about them.

The Aussies that I've met that are good with other dogs are sturdy and masters at spinning circles around the other dogs, very fast and agile. Don't know that they're really gentle demeanor though and the ones I know are usually pretty hyper at least when young.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:21 PM

My BIL has a Schipperke and, maybe it would be better with the reverse situation, but she does not get along with my GSP pup. Again, could be because she's an adult- 4 or so- and is not used to annoying, big puppies. She in no way acts like a "big dog in a small package" - does the little dog growling and snapping.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

All hunting/sports dogs are out except Labs. My "I-am-so-into-dogs" years are over. I enjoy Deja's activity levels and we have a great balance. I can hear you say, "Don't fix what ain't broken"
She is still too intense for a Collie. I don't care for Aussies or Shelties. Love CDs and Kelpis but can't give them what they need but they could easily get along with Deja. She does like Labs: she is infatuated with a male in Rally and the feelings are mutual.
I know the difference between the Eng and US lines. I don't care for the Eng type but a compromise between the two would be good. There is a breeder whose philosophy and dogs look good. 30 minute drive from here and I will at least check out his place and dogs. It all starts to sound pretty Labby, right? Borzois....so beautiful and gentle. Deja, so beautiful and still a wild girl

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-21-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Look into Schipperkes.
They are very compatible with GSDs. Big dog in a small package.
Never liked them, sorry. And they chop off their tails. Never will I have a docked or cropped dog. Would feel sorry for him every day.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 PM
Elite Member

I've posted before that I want to get a collie, but as far as the sight hounds, I would like to see a silken wind hound! I have read about them, but never have seen one! They sound like a nice energic companion, nice family smaller size dog, but like you said, don't know how they would do with a shepherd! I saw a Weimaraner at a pet expo, he was there with a rescue group and I have to say I was drawn to his personality! Got to walk him around just a little! Pretty dog, lots of energy you could tell! Then at the summer dog show last year, we were sitting on the ground watching dock diving and the sweetest Aussie slipped beside me and put his paw on my leg! He was wet, his owner was like oh I'm sorry, but that made me kinda be lookin at Aussies too! Lol!
Just some of the ones that's stood out to me, but I'd still like to have another GSD too!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

If I got an Aussie, I'd prefer a natural tail!
LuvShepherds and wolfy dog like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

Not to be the mean person but in the last 7 years, you've returned 3 dogs (Shepherds and Collies) to breeders for various reasons. So maybe really give some thought to your life situations and timing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page