Thinking out loud about second dog - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulBoh View Post
My BIL has a Schipperke and, maybe it would be better with the reverse situation, but she does not get along with my GSP pup. Again, could be because she's an adult- 4 or so- and is not used to annoying, big puppies. She in no way acts like a "big dog in a small package" - does the little dog growling and snapping.
Because they need training, and most people donít train small dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I know why you returned them. I'm just saying you've returned 3 in 7 years so maybe really give this decision some more thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So why do you have a problem with returning a dog with OCD (genetic bone disease) and HOD? They just couldn't thrive in an active environment and needed a calm living situation. Maybe you haven't had to deal with a growing pup with genetic HOD and OCD. It was heartbreaking and sad but all true.

I also don't mean to be rude. But weren't there 2 others? PTS for health issues?
Maybe stick to 1 dog and live vicariously through the dogs and people you train
sit,stay and tim_s_adams like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Look into Schipperkes.
They are very compatible with GSDs. Big dog in a small package.
The only neighborhood little dog my gsds like is my next door neighbors schipperke.

With the OPís most recent struggles with Griff, albeit some being due to injury, any young medium to large breed puppy may present similar challenges and aggravate healed wounds. Labs are fun, but not necessarily easy, Iíve owned a few and donít recall them being any less work than my gsds. I get the whole second dogs thing though and the right fit might work, but you need to be honest with yourself on what you can handle.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Cardigan welsh corgi? My handler breeds them, as well as GSDs, and I've fallen in love with those short-legged goof balls. Plus they have tails, lol.
They can be very stubborn and need a lot of exercise. I have two GSD friends with Corgis. They are much more difficult to train than their big dogs.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Those are all good points. I have done this before and thought about different breeds. I always end up going back to German Shepherds because nothing else measures up against them.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
They can be very stubborn and need a lot of exercise. I have two GSD friends with Corgis. They are much more difficult to train than their big dogs.

I canít stand Pems. I have several friends that show them, and the ones we groom are terrible. Ah, but I love the Cardis!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
The only neighborhood little dog my gsds like is my next door neighbors schipperke.

With the OPís most recent struggles with Griff, albeit some being due to injury, any young medium to large breed puppy may present similar challenges and aggravate healed wounds. Labs are fun, but not necessarily easy, Iíve owned a few and donít recall them being any less work than my gsds. I get the whole second dogs thing though and the right fit might work, but you need to be honest with yourself on what you can handle.
Not getting any younger here. Schipperkes are on my list for when I start to downsize but I never got to meet one. What do you think about your neighbor's?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Interesting comment. If the other breeds are so much more difficult to train, I hear this from others too, then why are people investing so much time and resources training GSDs or recommending a lot of training? You would think that compared to other dogs then they would need less training.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I canít stand Pems. I have several friends that show them, and the ones we groom are terrible. Ah, but I love the Cardis!
What are the major differences?
Jax08 likes this.

Suzanne Clothier
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 PM

The Pembrokes that I know are brats and just generally obnoxious. Very cute, to be sure. I have a couple of Cardigan breeder friends that started with Pems, and switched to the cardigans. They both said they were easier to deal with, easier to train.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page