German Shepherds Forum banner

She was solid black then she started turning..

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  LuvShepherds 
#1 ·
Luna has been solid black for over a year then a few months ago she started to change and get white blotches. First is this a concern for her health and if not why does it happen. I already ruled out scar marks it did coincide with her first full coat blow. But had been getting worse.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My dog had some white on her like that recently, but in her case it was from brushing up against some wet paint LOL! So that was my first thought when I saw that picture. Any chance she found some wet paint somewhere?

#5 · (Edited)
I had always assumed this was pretty standard for black German shepherds to have patches. My dogs father for instance, was fully black besides his butt. Haha. Now my dog has a white butt, blonde leg highlights, a white chest and some random patches.

But potentially if the spots are just showing up more and more, potentially take a look at this, uveodermatological syndrome or as someone else suggested, vitiligo.

#13 ·
Leukotrichia would be the doggie version of Poliosis, when it's not on the head or face.

• “Leukotrichia” is the medical term of whitening of the hair, without indication of location of the whitened hairs
  • “Poliosis” is the medical term of whitening of the hair on the head and/or face (ie people who have a natural white strip in their hair.
The article at the link below discusses a list of possibilities - from cosmetic to serious health issues

Pigment Loss - Tri-County Animal Hospital

How does the skin look in the areas with the white spots? Whether there is any pigment change on the skin, could be a clue. If there aren't any other symptoms, it's probably just a pigment issue. Might want to check with your vet. If it's just some patches of white hair, and no other skin or other symptoms, you might be able to wait until you have another need to go to the vet (unless money isn't an issue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.