Shipping cost EU to North America - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Shipping cost EU to North America

Can anyone give me a ballpark price on the cost of shipping a 8 - 9 week old GSD puppy from Europe to Canada - USA.

Thanks,

GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

A lot, most likely more than you pay for the puppy. Then they only deliver to certain airports, not all internationals. Then you will need to pay ground transport to where you are.

Seriously, your best option is for either yourself or someone you trust to fly to Europe and bring the puppy back. If you play your cards right, you might even get to stay a couple of days.
Oldschool likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply MineAreWorkingline. So if the pup is travelling with you the cost is much less I gather? Can a 8 - 9 week old pup stay in the cabin or is it in placed in one of the pressurized compartment areas? Novice here.

GG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Just to give you an idea...Westjet...charged me...(freight, I didn't travel) 120.00 plus tax to ship 7 canaries from Ontario to Nova Scotia, last year. I had to provide my own crate for the breeder to ship.

Are they just Canada wide?
There's a number to call.

>>Pets travelling on their own (as cargo)
WestJet Cargo accepts pets travelling on their own. If you wish to transport an unaccompanied pet, please contact WestJet Cargo for rates and information at 1-866-952-2746 (1-866-WJCARGO). <<

I think they have a policy about what months pets can travel, our cutoff because birds are so fragile was Oct. 31. I got mine on Oct. 18.
Oldschool likes this.

Last edited by cvamoca; 10-18-2019 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to add words, and subtract spaces!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Thanks for your reply MineAreWorkingline. So if the pup is travelling with you the cost is much less I gather? Can a 8 - 9 week old pup stay in the cabin or is it in placed in one of the pressurized compartment areas? Novice here.

GG
Not 100% sure but I have been told they can fly in the cabin with you. Are you shipping in only one? I think if you bring in more than two you will also have to deal with customs but I am in the US so things can be different. There can be significant shipping savings if you and a friend ship pups together.
Oldschool likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Good info here. Thanks.

GG
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool View Post
Can anyone give me a ballpark price on the cost of shipping a 8 - 9 week old GSD puppy from Europe to Canada - USA.

Thanks,

GG
I was quoted €2000 to ship my pup from Germany to the UK, so I'm guessing it would be dearer to ship to Canada.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Oldschool and cvamoca like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Not 100% sure but I have been told they can fly in the cabin with you. Are you shipping in only one? I think if you bring in more than two you will also have to deal with customs but I am in the US so things can be different. There can be significant shipping savings if you and a friend ship pups together.

Only one animal can ride in the cabin per passenger, and it's crate has to fit under the seat. Even our canaries, only one was allowed to ride in cabin with his owner, the rest went as freight.
Oldschool likes this.

Last edited by cvamoca; 10-18-2019 at 05:38 PM. Reason: needed to clarify
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:49 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
I was quoted €2000 to ship my pup from Germany to the UK, so I'm guessing it would be dearer to ship to Canada.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Wow! That's roughly US$2200 for shipping a pup from Germany to the UK. I can't imagine what it would cost to ship it across the pond. That's about the cost of a European working line pup that you can purchase here in the States. My Czech working line was 2,000 bucks. If I'm paying over 4000 dollars for a pup, he better be able to do my taxes for me.

If you do a quick search, you can find several sites that ship pets. I didn't want to list site names in case it wasn't allowed. But it looks like it could cost up to 400 dollars-ish for in cabin travel. And some airlines don't allow puppies in the cabin...I assume because its not potty trained and the smell will waft thru the air and passengers will complain. You'll have to do your own research on that. Germany to the States/Canada is about a 10 hour flight. There's no way a puppy can hold it that long. Anyway, good luck.
Oldschool likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvamoca View Post
Only one animal can ride in the cabin per passenger, and it's crate has to fit under the seat. Even our canaries, only one was allowed to ride in cabin with his owner, the rest went as freight.
Yes, but if nobody is going to fly over and back. Putting two pups in a carrier and splitting the shipping with a friend can be a cost saving mood.
Oldschool and cvamoca like this.

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page