hiking in the rain? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Question hiking in the rain?

Hi there, my dog and I have been hiking for a few months now but as the weather gets more inclement, I wonder if I can take him for 8 miles in the rain. I have a rain coat for him, but over 5-6 hours I am not sure if it will be of much use. He is a little over 2 years old and has done that distance several times in the past.

Thoughts and advice would be awesome. Including a pic of Munch for attention
Attached Images

J-Munch Vom HausReid
In silence we learn and love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 02:57 AM
Crowned Member

I grew up in the PNW. Our dogs, farm dogs, all lived outside mostly, and could and did easily go all day in the rain without a problem! Chihuahuas might need raincoats, GSDs not so much. Go, enjoy, your dog will be fine!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

They will be happy hiking in all weather conditions. Yeah - a chihuahua not so much lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 AM

I take my dogs out in the rain often. The only time I might be concerned is if it is around 40 degrees, and windy, and you stop for a while in a windy spot- or if you are camping and have no way to keep him dry and he's wet with temps dropping below freezing.

Otherwise, he'll be fine- GSDs are meant to be out in the elements, getting the job done.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Hiking in the rain is a favorite. If it is colder or stormy, I do like to put a raincoat on them as my dogs are all house dogs and don't grow a coat like an outdoor dog, plus they dry quicker and are less messy in the house and car.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Master Member

Absolutely you can! Rollo and I love the rain! Rollo would not want a coat; he loves getting wet & muddy lol

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Mine are happy in all weather.

And the best part about rain is that parks are less crowded (or empty!) and trails often deserted.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Mine are happy in all weather. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

And the best part about rain is that parks are less crowded (or empty!) and trails often deserted.

That is the best time ago. Beaches are all clear and can run amuck. I enjoy visiting the local people park in the snow we have the entire park to ourselves.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
That is the best time ago. Beaches are all clear and can run amuck. I enjoy visiting the local people park in the snow we have the entire park to ourselves.
The park in the snow is my absolute favorite. Getting excited for that weather coming up
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

If you don't mind the rain then he won't. I walk and hike all over in all weather and my dogs have always been game.
Nice looking dog, bet he's a great hiking buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page