Sedation for xrays - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By LuvShepherds
  • 1 Post By BigOzzy2018

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Sedation for xrays

I'm wanting to get Chicory's OFA preliminary xrays done, but the vet requires sedation (not general anesthesia). I really don't want to have her sedated. Is the kind of sedation used for xrays safer than general anesthesia?

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

If you want good xrays, you'll have to sedate her. It's not big deal. they give the sedation and after the xrays, reverse it.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Is the sedation they use for this safer than general anesthesia? (had bad experience with general anesthesia and never want to do it again). Thanks

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:18 PM
Crowned Member

You should ask your vet that. Nobody here is a medical expert. I would be surprised if anyone here wants to answer that and take on that responsibility.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I understand. I wasn't thinking of that at first.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

Mine have both had that type of sedation and it was very mild. Ask your vet what they use and what the risks are. Occasionally a vet will xray without it but the dog must lie completely still during the process and they are placed in uncomfortable positions.
Jax08 and wolfebergk9 like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Master Member

Sedation does not give you better results nor does non sedation. It’s the vet and how they position. I chose to never have my dog sedated and travel to Madison WI to get them done by an excellent excellent vet who positions the dog so well no sedation needed besides he prefers not to sedate unless absolutely absolutely necessary.
wolfebergk9 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Elite Member

If it is SV A stamp I think they require sedation. You are not required for OFA. If you are uncomfortable with it look for a vet that will do OFA no sedation. Position matters. If you are located in the NY/NJ/PA area I know a good place. 350 for hips and elbows with sedation and exam fee (for A stamp) Not sure what OFA is price wise but I know they do it sans sedation.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

If they use propofol, I believe it is safe.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Crowned Member

I've OFAed 3 dogs. The first one was able to be done without sedation, but we trained for being restrained on her back.

The second two were sedated. My big male shepherd there is NO way they would have gotten those X Rays unless he was out. For that matter the lab is just a wiggly little worm too, so almost no chance there either but for a different reason.

I don't love sedating my dogs either... but they've all been okay.

If you have the type of dog that could learn to be restrained that way and cooperate, and you have access to a vet who will do it without sedation, then all you have to lose is money if the positioning doesn't look good once it's done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page