Emergency contact of a different kind - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Emergency contact of a different kind

The title of the other thread made me think of this. I worry when my husband and I go out on the motorcycle together and leave the dogs home alone. I actually bought one of those cards for his keychain that directs you to a wallet card that says the dogs are home alone please call so-and-so. (If we were to get in an accident and be unable to get home to them)

I also have emergency dog info in several places in my truck, the glove box and attached to the crates, listing dog information and emergency contacts who could come and take possession of the dogs.

When we travel, I leave all the emergency contact info for where the dogs should go if our plane crashed or something.

Only one of my dogs has a god parent who will take her if I die. I wish my others did...but my two closest friends who are good with dogs have dogs that can't get along with mine and they are not an option. So my other two are listed to be returned to their breeders. I know my lab would do fine no matter who had him, and I believe my white dog's breeder knows her dogs well enough that she could find my dog another suitable home.

Now I sure don't plan on dying...but if they were children there would be something in place and i think there should be for dogs too. What safety backups do you have in place for your dogs?
Stevenzachsmom and saintbob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 09:42 AM
Crowned Member

My kids know to get the dogs. My dogs go back to their breeders to be kept or placed. I thought my Tommy was the one that would step up but after an episode where his dad was in the ER with afib and it shook him so bad it took him an hour to get it together enough just to call him, I might need to choose another person to initially take care of them.
CometDog likes this.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Administrator

If something abrupt happens to my husband and I, one of my dogs goes to my dad (who adores her) and the other two go back to their breeder.

A local friend of mine has an interesting arrangement in place for her senior rescue dog - there’s no breeder in the picture and she doesn’t have dog loving family. She has a list of half a dozen people who each get “first right of refusal”, in a manner of speaking, in a predetermined order. I’m third or fourth on the list, so she filled me in on this years ago when she asked me if I’d consider being an option. There is an interest bearing savings account that goes along with the dog that has enough money to feed and vet him for several years. It’s all in her will. Also a safe deposit box, presumably with important document copies, care instructions, etc. She’s one of the most organized people I know, and it seems to me that she’s thought of everything possible.

I inherited a different dog when a family member died. It was abrupt and of course he had nothing in place. I never figured out who the breeder was, I’m fortunate that he used the same vet as me so the challenge of getting the records turned over was minimal. The family and several friends had a huge fight over who “got to keep” his other (much nicer) dog, and that was a nightmare. That’s why I have something in writing already...
cvamoca likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 AM

This is my concern. I have friends and family who would help place the dogs, and a network of dog people who could do foster situations, even adopt some of them, depending. I'd imagine my parents would keep my two older dogs, and my younger two would be easily placed as working dogs/companions.

It's my big boy that concerns me. He dearly loves two people in this world, and two people only, and if both of us died at the same time, I don't know what would happen. That is when I'd need to have ready a dog-savvy person to take him. I could put aside money in an account to keep him cared for and healthy. I have no plans of dying, but even a prolonged illness or injury would need some plan in place for the big guy.
cvamoca likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Crowned Member

When I was diagnosed with cancer and in the middle of the madness I remember one of the first things I did was call the trainer letting her know the situation in case the family needed help with any of the dogs obedience wise if I were to be no longer around. The dogs would always stay with my kids and that would be with their dad. The kids love the dogs as much as do. My family would always be there also it is known that we would take care of each other’s animals. I have the veterinarian, breeders , trainers numbers in my phone book for any questions. I do have to get a key chains they are great letting people know you have dogs at home because no one knows what will happen when they walk out the door.
Jax08 and cvamoca like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-15-2019 at 12:28 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I used to have an account that was left to my sister after my husband (so if he and I both died she got all my money), and she had instructions to make that money available to my emergency people in order to transport or care for my dogs. And my husband had instructions to hire walkers or sitters or whatever necessary if only I died so they could still have a good life (because I do everything for them and he does not have time)

I don't have that particular account anymore. I need a new way to make what I have available to someone to provide for whatever my dogs needed if I were no longer here.

I suppose I could possibly just put my sister jointly on my savings account. She is not local but I can trust her with my money and then she could give it to whoever needed it. For instance, one of my dog's breeder is a 6h drive. So that's potentially like an overnight hotel stay & days off work to return him, I'd want to reimburse the person who did that.

What's the best way to leave emergency money for your dog's care?

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 10-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

I have directives in my will. Valor goes back to breeder, other also goes back to breeder but I list who I would like to have Blitzen if breeder approves. Cat goes to my aunt. Kids stay with their dad...(it would have to be a spectacular confluence of events for us to die together. Like a tornado or earthquake in NJ, or a meteor hit). Rats and Hermit crabs are up for grabs.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

In a will but communication in a trusted relationship is important. I remember a woman at the barn had a horse. She was very concerned about her horse if she passed away as she had some health issues and getting up in age. In a will through her lawyer she wanted the horse to stay at the barn where she was and had alotted money for her board through her lawyer. Her kids who were adults did wind up moving the horse from the barn to a barn closer to there house where she is cared for now.
huntergreen likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM

The post made me think of that as well. That’s all I think about sometimes! If something happened to me, how quickly someone would go help my dog. I think that with how much I love my dog though, my family would take her. They’d want to keep that piece of me. They’d be overstretched though so I wish I did have someone else. 😕 That’s SO smart about the keychain! I’m going to go find one right now
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
I have directives in my will. Valor goes back to breeder, other also goes back to breeder but I list who I would like to have Blitzen if breeder approves. Cat goes to my aunt. Kids stay with their dad...(it would have to be a spectacular confluence of events for us to die together. Like a tornado or earthquake in NJ, or a meteor hit). Rats and Hermit crabs are up for grabs.
Yeah and I don't mean to be morbid but me and my husband go on motorcycle rides together and it's not entirely impossible that something could happen to both of us together. Heaven forbid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page