German Shepherds Forum banner

SNUFFLE MATS: Have You Used One?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  NaughtyNibbler 
#1 ·
I was shopping for some pet wipes on Amazon, and Snuffle Mats appeared on one of the screens. I found a thread from 2018, where someone was going to make on, but the thread died out before any feedback was given. I remember seeing some web pages about making your own several months ago & promptly forgot about them. Now, I'm curious again. I'm always looking for things to occupy Cassie, especially on days where we have already spent 3-4 hours on activity for her.

So, just wondering;
1. Have you used a Snuffle Mat with your German Shepherd or are you planning to?

2. If you have used one, how did your dog like it?
3. Any suggestions on strategies to prompt longer amusement with one?
4. Have you successfully made one?

#4 ·
I made one years ago and meticulously hid kibbles everywhere in between the tufts. Excitedly I presented it to her. However, she picked it up and shook it with kibble flying everywhere and I couldn't stop laughing. She showed me that it was the craziest idea and she was right. It went to Goodwill. it's probably a good idea for dogs that are old or compromised to give them something to do. Youngsters not so much, LOL

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. For some reason, I didn't get a reply notification until a few minutes ago, even though I had it marked to notify me of each reply.

I guess I was a little frustrated yesterday, so I went ahead & 0rdered the one below, as I needed some other things from Amazon. Sometimes, it's too easy to add something to your cart & hit that buy button on Amazon. I'll advise how it works out. Even it it just serves to reset Cassie's mindset, it will be worth it. Sometimes, I just need to push a different button & change her focus.

Yesterday, we went to obedience class, a walk in the park & then the dog park - a total of 4 hours of activity. When we got home, she took a nap for 2 hours & then became hyper again, even after some flirt pole play in the back yard. I give her pieces of her favorite chicken jerky treat in different ways. This will be added to the mix of options.

#11 ·
1. My friend uses one with her Brittany Spaniel.
2. She just uses it to slow down his feeding so he doesn't pork down dinner. Eats from it just fine.
3. It's not left out 24/7 for him to mess with. So I don't know that he really likes it outside of it being stocked with food.
4. Pretty sure she just bought it as opposed to making it herself.

#12 ·
1. My friend uses one with her Brittany Spaniel.
2. She just uses it to slow down his feeding so he doesn't pork down dinner. Eats from it just fine.
3. It's not left out 24/7 for him to mess with. So I don't know that he really likes it outside of it being stocked with food.
4. Pretty sure she just bought it as opposed to making it herself.
Thanks for your input. I plan to bring it out occasionally & plan to use bits of her favorite treat. Hoping to divert her attention & reset rowdy mode, when I have an urgent need to attend to something & can't play with her. Looking for options other than putting her into her crate.

#14 ·
OMG class + walk + dogpark + flirtpole for 4 hours...
my dog would collapse in a heap and sleep the rest of the day. Neither of us has enough energy to keep up with your Cassie!
That was on our most active day of the week. I'm hoping her energy level declines in a few months, or she is going to wear me out. I cherished the 2 hour nap she took when we got home. Then, it was like she jump started & became the energizer bunny. Hard to wear the battery down.

#15 ·
I got a snuffle mat for my 1yr old GSD. He has a super high drive. Loves the flirt pole or really anything that moves (including my hand)
He also inhales food. I got the mat for the dual purpose of the 'hunt' and to hopefully slow down his eating.

he does enjoy it. but what I've found is he seems to get a bit frustrated with the activity of moving the extremely small and lightweight flaps to get the kibble. So he is learning that if he grabs it and lifts the matt the kibble just falls out.
Ideally a snuffle mat for a large GSD would be heavier material and larger sizes. At some point I may try to get craftsy and make one from denim materials instead of the floofy fleece/micro fiber crap they make manufactured ones.

#16 ·
Ideally a snuffle mat for a large GSD would be heavier material and larger sizes. At some point I may try to get craftsy and make one from denim materials instead of the floofy fleece/micro fiber crap they make manufactured ones.
I agree that the mat needs to be sturdier. Be sure to share a photo & details, if you do make one. My dog already ripped of a couple of pieces on her mat. If you make your own, you can use more secure stitching - something that's hard to find these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.