need your opinion on this plan - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
need your opinion on this plan

Hello,

I have this giant tank where I store dry firewood and I have been wanting to convert it into a super-insulated dog house. My dogs prefer to be outside and absolutely hate it inside. I am working on fencing a 5 acres area for my dogs and would like to build them a really nice house for shelter.

I was thinking that I could build a dog house large enough for all four dogs and then fill every crevice with insulation. I will wire it for light and thermometer so I know what the temperature is. Is this a good idea? I am attaching a picture of this tank.
Attached Images
 
Muntazir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
P.S. this will be their winter house only.
Muntazir is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Frisco19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Boston
Posts: 357
Seems claustrophobic and one dimensional but it could be the picture. How many dogs? Would they be able to get by each other without walking over each other?
Frisco19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Seems claustrophobic and one dimensional but it could be the picture. How many dogs? Would they be able to get by each other without walking over each other?
This doghouse will be used for 3 dogs. This tank is a 15,000-gallon tank. I am 5 10" and I can comfortably stand inside with some room to spare. I was planning on having just one door for them to get in an out. I am in the northeast and the winter temperatures are brutal so I want to make sure I minimize any warm air loss. This plan isn't final. I am certainly open to suggestions.

The dog house will be 4 feet wide by 5 feet high by about 14 feet deep.

Thank you,
Ali

Last edited by Muntazir; 10-08-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Muntazir is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Frisco19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Boston
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muntazir View Post
This doghouse will be used for 3 dogs. This tank is a 15,000-gallon tank. I am 5 10" and I can comfortably stand inside with some room to spare. I was planning on having just one door for them to get in an out. I am in the northeast and the winter temperatures are brutal so I want to make sure I minimize any warm air loss. This plan isn't final. I am certainly open to suggestions.

The dog house will be 4 feet wide by 5 feet high by about 14 feet deep.

Thank you,
Ali
Oh wow, it didn't look that big in the pic. Pretty cool idea. I'm not doghouse builder but I think you are onto something.
Muntazir likes this.
Frisco19 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Knighted Member
 
Sunsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,108
A dog house is heated mainly by the body heat of the animal inside it. For that reason, the dimensions need to be not much bigger than the dogs themselves. I'm afraid you are going to need some sort of supplementary heating if you convert this into a dog house.
Muntazir likes this.
Sunsilver is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
A dog house is heated mainly by the body heat of the animal inside it. For that reason, the dimensions need to be not much bigger than the dogs themselves. I'm afraid you are going to need some sort of supplementary heating if you convert this into a dog house.
I will probably adjust the width and the height of the doghouse then. the more insulation I can get inside this tank and around the doghouse, the better. Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by Muntazir; 10-08-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Muntazir is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,635
I would prefer three separate smaller, well-insulated (to contain warmth) houses for them. What if nr.1 of the pack sits in the doorway to prevent the others from going inside?
wolfy dog is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I would prefer three separate smaller, well-insulated (to contain warmth) houses for them. What if nr.1 of the pack sits in the doorway to prevent the others from going inside?
Here is a smaller doghouse I made for tiger and I used 2 inches thick foam insulation on all sides including floor and ceiling but during winter, Tiger would sit in it and shiver hence my desire to use this tank as outer shell and doghouse in it with 15+ inches of insulation all around. I will also think about a way to put individual doghouses in this tank and just cut out individual openings on the side of the tank.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	526097  
Attached Images
 
Muntazir is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,635
I think that will work better
wolfy dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome