Pet Insurance Advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Pet Insurance Advice

Hi all,

I know there are numerous threads on this, and I have looked over hundreds of them, LOL. So, I am really considering Trupanion. Although, it is expensive, I like that they do not offer wellness, as we did wellness with Embrace and at this point we are just looking for insurance vs. wellness. I like that they do 90% reimbursement, and that the deductibles can be customized. My issue is...my one GSD has been dx in the past with allergies, and now hip dysplasia. While my other GSD has NO pre-exsisting conditions. What would YOU do? The rate for both is looking like $130 per month...depending on IF I had the add'l rider for the optional services such as chiropractic/accupuncture etc. Just curious for those on what you did with pups that you knew wouldn't have some major things covered. Thanks!

Fur Mommy to

Ella- GSD 3/25/2014
Gunnar - GSD 09/28/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Elite Member

I had really researched and went over the actual declarations pages for all of them. This is a summary of exclusions that caught my attention from the few popular ones. I did not read Trupanion. Look at their actual Declarations page, not the bullet points on the web page, not the advertisments of any shape or form, not what an agent tells you. Read the Declaration pages buried in the back with you own two eyes. Good luck! I am happy with Embrace. Was happier with Petplan. Never should have switched. Also keep in mind the declaration page changes yearly. This is from April of this year.

EMBRACE

More than the first submitted anesthetic removal of an ingested foreign body in one (1) period of insurance; This means if they swallow a rock in January, anything else swallowed until after December 31st of that year will not be covered

Any Illness as a result of a covered Accident that is not part of the initial course of Treatment for that Injury. For example, future Treatment(s) for liver damage from an accidental poisoning incident. This exclusion does not apply to policies with Illness Coverage; This one is concerning. So if a dog eats tylenol..they will cover nothing in the future that they may be able to blame on the tylenol ingestion. Unless we have Illness Coverage

The cost of boarding your Pet including medical boarding;
Ouch, that could add up in cost

Treatments for any Illness for which a vaccine is available for your Pet to prevent such Illness and for which vaccination is both recommended by your Veterinary Provider and rejected by you. For the purposes of this exclusion, such Illness shall include but not be limited to “core vaccinations” as stated by the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Guidelines for your dog or “highly recommended
Fair enough, but good to know

Costs for any Treatment arising from: a. Avian, swine, or any other type of influenza or any mutant variation; Epidemics or pandemics as declared by the U.S. Department of Agriculture;
Any type of influenza?

NATIONWIDE

Any additional excluded condition listed on the policy declarations page or renewal certificate
am trying to get a declarations page but you dont get that until you buy insurance. How do you know year to year what new exclusions will pop up?

Certain bone or joint conditions associated with (1) hip dysplasia, or any luxation or subluxation associated with hip dysplasia, (2) elbow dysplasia, (3) patellar luxation or subluxation, (4) osteochondritis dissecans, or (5) any fracture, luxation, or subluxation associated with aseptic necrosis of a femoral head, but we do provide limited additional coverage for specified ineligible conditions
Well that is vague. When you sign up they say in no uncertain terms HD is covered after 12 months without prior diagnosis

Cruciate ligament or meniscal damage or rupture that occurs during the first twelve (12) calendar months of the policy
12 months is long compared to others. Embrace lowered it to 14 days when no prior history and after a vet exam shows clear.

Oh heck with I'll just post the rest of the Nationwide unique exclusions because Nationwide is the worst..and they can change without notifying you, who knows what new exclusion will be on your next declaration page? To me this is very problematic because not only will they no longer cover something, but will screw your dog out of coverage period because now all will be "prexisting" with a new insurance company.

Cervical vertebral instability/wobbler syndrome, but we do provided limited additional coverage for specified ineligible conditions
Angular limb deformity
Congenital anomalies or developmental defects
Hereditary disorders, but we do provide limited additional coverage for specified ineligible conditions
Diagnosis or treatment for: (1) removal or treatment of deciduous (baby) teeth, (2) cosmetic dental restoration including veneers, crowns, caps or other prosthetic devices, (3) temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease, (4) enamel hypoplasia, (5) gingivitis, or (6) tooth hygiene or appearance including teeth cleaning and polishing
Diagnosis of, or treatment for, internal or external parasites

Expression of anal glands, anal sacculitis, or removal of anal glands

Age-related changes to your pet's eyes or ears

Diagnosis, treatment, training, or therapy for behavioral problems

Diagnosis or treatment of any complication or progression of any condition excluded by this policy

Petplan

The treatment, death or humane destruction arising out of or related to Avian Influenza

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefield622 View Post
Hi all,

I know there are numerous threads on this, and I have looked over hundreds of them, LOL. So, I am really considering Trupanion. Although, it is expensive, I like that they do not offer wellness, as we did wellness with Embrace and at this point we are just looking for insurance vs. wellness. I like that they do 90% reimbursement, and that the deductibles can be customized. My issue is...my one GSD has been dx in the past with allergies, and now hip dysplasia. While my other GSD has NO pre-exsisting conditions. What would YOU do? The rate for both is looking like $130 per month...depending on IF I had the add'l rider for the optional services such as chiropractic/accupuncture etc. Just curious for those on what you did with pups that you knew wouldn't have some major things covered. Thanks!
I don't have any insight but am also interested in the feedback. I thought I was thinking just catastrophe insurance and not wellness for my 14.5 year old pup. But man are these unplanned vet visits adding up. He was throwing up last Sunday ($180) and got mild kennel cough a few days later ($160, no treatment). The wellness plan my vet (VCA Wakefield) is pushing covers all vet visits and scheduled shots, but not the treatment for ailments. It will cover the vet visit for say a cough, but not the antibiotics. They have two plans, one cover a neutering, other doesn't. It's really all math and probability of him getting sick. I see your user name is Wakefield, Wakefield MA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Nope! My last name I am now worried and should have never removed them from Embrace, as we had it and then I felt it wasn't neccasary. And then a year later my GSD is dx with hip dysplasia. Ugh!!! I kick myself for this. WE will prob be footing a $6k bill for surgery, and I just want to be prepared because hip issues aren't the only major thing that could happen .

Fur Mommy to

Ella- GSD 3/25/2014
Gunnar - GSD 09/28/2015
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 08:21 AM
Elite Member

This is one thing I also learned the hard way. Pick a plan and never change even if you wind up pissed at them. Because forevermore everything will be "pre existing" My friend switched off PetPlan because they would not cover a foot infection saying it was allergies. Well to spite she switched and then the dog wound up with a few other issues. The new insurance was able to go through his medical history and blame every little thing no matter how loosely connected on something that happened before. Leg hurts? Must have been that foot infection making him walk weird. And the irony with a little more arguing PetPlan would have covered the foot infection. Pick your insurance and assume the safest thing to let your dog dog grow old with them. Appealing things in a plan you have had since a dog is 8 weeks old is WAY easier than appealing things for a plan you got them at age 3.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM
Crowned Member

I have trupAnion used it a few times and I did get my money back within days and that helped with the corncob surgery I was very happy as that could of not come in the worst time. I have no issues with them. It’s used for emergency type situations and there is no well care or maintenance care such as vaccines etc. I asked direct questions liked their answer they also have a breeders plan. I did not have to wait a year if there were any hip issues when I got my pups. Alot of vets here are familiar with Trupanion and Trupanion will pay the vet directly if for some unseen reason that had to happen and I was in a jam the absolute main reason- the vet would have to be okay with this though in regards to accepting direct payment from insurance company. I would stick with a plan though as they have all increased since 5 years ago and I had let my pet insurance lapse once and when I picked it back up the prices new prices were a lot higher but also I get to control what I want to pay what deductable And can change that at any time.
You have to compare plans and see what the reasons you would choose each one. Some plans have things others would want more and vice versa.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-08-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:29 PM

Pepper was diagnosed with diabetes in January, developed cataracts in both eyes, had surgery for the cataracts, been a $5k+ year for her, Healthy Paws has covered 90% without issue.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckola View Post
Pepper was diagnosed with diabetes in January, developed cataracts in both eyes, had surgery for the cataracts, been a $5k+ year for her, Healthy Paws has covered 90% without issue.

I was looking at Healthy Paws yesterday. Nice to hear they came through for you. I think I’m gonna go with them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Haven't heard any complaints about healthy paws.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Haven't heard any complaints about healthy paws.
me neither. Very happy with them for years.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page