Cryptorchid neuter today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Had cryptorchid neuter done today on my one year old, Massimo. First (larger) testicle had dropped. Second (smaller) testicle was in the inguinal canal, so, thankfully, proved easy to access.

While there, we completed the gastropexy and, of course, microchip insertion.

Busy day, for my Massimo.

Pic of testicles is attached - not to gross any member out, but hopefully, to provide some more understanding.

As of now, he’s resting comfortably with pain meds and others to keep him calm.

Other two GSD’s in the home are aware that he was gone all day. They seem to know something happened to him. They’re all laying close by, but are not bothering the patient at all - without any direction from me.

I offer this post, hoping to offer some further education / understanding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	799BDBF5-46B0-4225-B2C0-35A16EA4E40B_1569629216312.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	525691  

Last edited by Damicodric; 09-27-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damicodric View Post
Had cryptorchid neuter done today on my one year old, Massimo. First (larger) testicle had dropped. Second (smaller) testicle was in the inguinal canal, so, thankfully, proved easy to access.

While there, we completed the gastropexy and, of course, microchip insertion.

Busy day, for my Massimo.

Pic of testicles is attached - not to gross any member out, but hopefully, to provide some more understanding.

As of now, he’s resting comfortably with pain meds and others to keep him calm.

Other two GSD’s in the home are aware that he was gone all day. They seem to know something happened to him. They’re all laying close by, but are not bothering the patient at all - without any direction from me.

I offer this post, hoping to offer some further education / understanding.
Thank you for posting. We have an 11 week puppy who has one down, one in. the breeder said it might still descend, but the vet said it's unlikely. How long do you expect his recovery to be?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Well.

I have had two males neutered and three females spayed in last 20 years, not including my Cryptorchid boy today. (Six total).

Recovery is always far faster than veterinary parameters, but it’s still best to abide by them.

For now, I’ll carry him in and out for the next few days to avoid excess abdominal stretching, etc, due to six deck steps. He’ll also be on a long 30’ leash outside. He’ll have no chance to run with my other two GSD’s. God knows; he’ll try.

He’s sound asleep, right now.

Just bear in mind, I had the gastropexy done on him, today, too. More recovery time will come from that versus the neuter.

If you’re considering the neuter only, your pup will “think” he’s back to normal in three to four days - but maybe monitor him through the duration through staple / suture removal.

I can’t speak for an abdominal testicle retention.

My veterinarian did say that abdominal removal of a testicle is a bunch more involved than an inguinal removal. Seems obvious.

Anyway..... best of luck. You’ll be amazed in how they bounce back and their resiliency.

Having an awesome veterinarian and a breeder who is very involved, interested and concerned, as well - doesn’t hurt the process, either.

Let me know how else it can help.
JonRob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 03:07 AM
Crowned Member

Ok, I'm sorry, I must be getting really old, but TMI, no Too Many Pictures (TMP). I was not expecting someone to take pictures of their dog's testicles. That is just way beyond me. I have never seen that before. Ok, so you got your dog neutered way early because some vet scared you into neutering the dog because it might develop testicular cancer some day. But pictures? Really, just saying the retained testicle was half as big as the other would have been enough. RIP Damicodric's dog's testicles. Some things you just can't un-see.
Shane'sDad likes this.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

If you don’t like the picture, you don’t like the picture. What do you do when you see a pair dangling on the back of a pickup truck? Can’t unsee those, either. A moderator can take the pic down, if need be. Pictures are worth a thousand words, right? I found it helpful.

I did try to add it only as an attachment and not included directly in the post. So much for that, huh?

All of my males have been neutered at one year. No veterinarian talked me into anything.
sit,stay and RoseW like this.

Last edited by Damicodric; 09-28-2019 at 08:40 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM
Master Member

Working in surgery I see these all the time but human form, lol doesn’t phase me. I am considering vasectomy for my boy when he’s 3.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Master Member

I personally thought it was interesting to see. (Pre-vet right now though.)

You hear about them not developing the same but it's entirely different to actually have a visual view of what happens, thanks for sharing.
sit,stay and JonRob like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

I found it interesting, and I don’t have any dogs that need to be neutered due to testicular issues. It’s informative in a way that I don’t think words would rely as well as a pic. We opted for the vasectomy for Crios (when I say we, I mean DH, he wanted him left intact and this was the compromise), and if given the chance, I’d want to watch that procedure. I was always the weird kid in biology that looked forward to dissecting animals, and took an extra year of it when I didn’t need the credits, because the advanced course had larger animals. Seeing how and why thinks work the way they do is infinitely interesting to me. I don’t think I would have gotten the actual difference without the pic, and it’s interesting to see just how much larger one was over the other.

DH, on the other hand, nearly faints at the sight of blood, so he probably would have been running to the bathroom if he happened across this pic.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myivyandluna View Post
Thank you for posting. We have an 11 week puppy who has one down, one in. the breeder said it might still descend, but the vet said it's unlikely. How long do you expect his recovery to be?
When mine had this surgery my vet said strictly 14 days of full rest. 6' leash, gentle walking in yard to potty and nothing else. My vet is a real casual guy, not an alarmist, and he told me to play by the rules and MAKE him take it easy or risk a hernia or other really bad complications that could last a long time. His testicle was way the heck up in there and they had to really dig to find it.

I did what my vet said. It was hard. The dog was not happy. But he recovered fully and without complication.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Ok, I'm sorry, I must be getting really old, but TMI, no Too Many Pictures (TMP). I was not expecting someone to take pictures of their dog's testicles. That is just way beyond me. I have never seen that before. Ok, so you got your dog neutered way early because some vet scared you into neutering the dog because it might develop testicular cancer some day. But pictures? Really, just saying the retained testicle was half as big as the other would have been enough. RIP Damicodric's dog's testicles. Some things you just can't un-see.
hahahahaha. My vet showed it to me and asked if I wanted it. I was like, for WHAT?! No, I don't want it!! He was probably teasing me. Who keeps their dogs' testicles? Wait, I think I might know someone who has her dogs' testicles. Even more weird
selzer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page