Natural Rearing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Natural Rearing

Have you heard of this and what do you think of it? I ran into it when researching breeders of a different breed that are raised with these practices. Some are what we are already doing, like feeding raw and not speutering because a dog has turned 6 months old. But some seem extreme, like no vaccines, no crates, no flea control, no medications, no scents of any kind in the home, only organic bedding, no separation at all from your dog. I found a few sites that explain it, and it looks like each site has some differences.

https://www.naturalrearing.com/coda/...g.html#landing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Knighted Member

What a load of horsepucky!! Homeopathy is B.S. Just finished reading the section on vaccinations...nope, nope nope!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds more like neglect in some ways. There is no natural way to raise a dog unless you practice the ancient way; "survival of the fittest", which would kill most of our domestic dogs.
angelas and car2ner like this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know. I think a good place to start is for those of us who are no longer spring chickens to look back to when a lot of this was normal for many dogs and compare it to what we are seeing today.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I don't know. I think a good place to start is for those of us who are no longer spring chickens to look back to when a lot of this was normal for many dogs and compare it to what we are seeing today.
That is where they started, with a middle aged dog that passed of old age diseases. I agree with some of their assertions but itís not possible to avoid vaccinations legally and what about parvo?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Knighted Member

So, you want to go back to when whole litters died of distemper and other preventable diseases?
Or how about when dogs spread rabies to humans?

The link I clicked on is talking about using small amounts of a pathogen to trigger immunity. Current vaccines mostly contain killed viruses. I hate to think what would happen if someone tried giving their dog a small amount of a live rabies virus!

Sorry, the antivax crowd gets my drawers in a knot. My great uncle, a healthy man in his prime, succumbed to the 1918 flu. A friend in high school had polio as an infant. She was one of the lucky ones: she could still walk and talk and breathe without the help of an iron lung.

Doing titers, fine. I'm okay with that. But homeopathy is junk science.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

I have a dog who boards here who is an anti vaxxer, raw fed, western medicine is evil, etc.

She began to have severe lameness. It eventually came out that she has beem diagnosed wih Lyme awhile back but owner refused to treat because antibiotics are evil and the dog will heal itself and so on.

Well the lameness finally got so bad it sidelined her sport career and the owner broke down a treated her but they ran some bloodwork first and her lyme numbers were thru the roof. Lameness and other issues totally resolved with treatment. This dog suffered for nearly a year unnecessarily.

I've had another one come to board with herbs that were supposedly treating her Lyme infection.

This stuff drives me crazy. Within reason, folks! Everything needs to be combined with common sense. ALL traditional veterinary medicine is not evil and gosh but those perscription diets full of grains can really help sometimes.

I don't knock anybody feeding raw or even minimal vax, but everything within reason and a dash of common sense!

And yeah, you don't want to vaccinate or do parasite prevention but you still want to board your dog when you go on vacation? Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I literally had a woman get furious with me about vaccinating her dogs to board. Look, hire a pet sitter then! You don't want to get state mandated vaccines...no problem, stay home, don't yell at me about it!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Iíve read more on pages I didnít post because it involved breeders. They recommend not kenneling your dogs so you must have someone come into your home. They also recommend never leaving your dogs alone. How realistic is that?

My vet uses herbs but when mine were sick, they were given antibiotics. There is a way to be holistic to boost natural immunity vs unrealistic expectations.

I see nothing wrong with titers. I was actually thinking about a dog from one of these breeders until I realized I could not pass their enormous application process. The questions were very intrusive and I got the feeling if even one answer was ďwrongĒ you were off their list. I canít post it because of breeder bashing. Iím sure they are good breeders, but with extremely rigid requirements. They are NOT GSDs.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

If your dog is not vaccinated and not getting sick it is not because he is healthier than any other dog but because all other dogs are vaccinated (herd immunity) and not able to transmit disease.
(This may open up a can of worms though).
Sunsilver and car2ner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page