Need some advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Need some advice

A little back story about our situation, we are a family of three, wife works in town basically 9 hours a day son goes to school for 8 hours and I am gone 10.5 hours a day. Wife goes home for lunch to let our 4 month old german shepherd out for bathroom break and a stretch for half hour, hes crated from 840 am to 4pm minus a half hour for lunch.

We used to let him have control of the house till he started to chew on the baseboards and bathroom in the house. It was suggested we crate him and hes done really well with that until recently he started to chew his bedding in the crate.

I am worried he is bored and looking for suggestions on what do to next. He was in puppy school one day a week and graduated that and scheduled for obedience and scent detection for 2 days a week. Wife walks him for half hour in the morning. And when I get home at 5pm, I play with him and walk him one more time for about 30 mins to around 930ish every day. I was walking him for approx 3 km and playing chase with his kong in a big field. After finding out that was too much activity for the pup we scaled it down on the physical activity. And that's when the chewing of his bedding in the crate started. We also just let him out if the crate last night to have full access to our bedroom and bed through the night and he did great.

We have looked into puppy daycare and find that's a little pricey at 730 a month. We are thinking one day a week instead of full month.

So just looking for ideas on how we can change or if we are doing ok and everything is fine. Our family has really bonded with this guy since joining our home and been a great addition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Master Member

I would try to do some more mentally stimulating activities with your puppy. These work their brain and they tire him out. You can do things like short little training sessions in your house or we really like playing the "find it" game. You hide food/treats in different places around a room, and let your dog go sniffing around the entire room looking for the treats. It's a great and easy game to stimulate the pup.
dogbyte likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:38 AM

When the pup goes in the kennel perhaps make it a habit to give him an appropriate sized Kong stuffed with something more difficult to get out, or possibly frozen. That will provide a bit of stimulation and gratification and best of all keep him busy doing something for a while as he waits for his people to return. Also, as the previous post said .. mental stimulation can really tire this dogs out

One other suggestion more for when he is a bit older and does need to work some energy off without walking 10 miles. A Flirt pole. That has been a saving grace for me and my boy Jack. I have an outside pole and a smaller inside one for rainy days. Playing with the pole was the first time I felt that Jack was really tired. It didn't take long. We play in the great room different games, working on impulse control etc. Easy to make .. some rope, pvc pipe .. I don't even have a real lure on the end just the frayed rope.

I actually do not keep any bedding in Jack's kennel. I am not sure what others might say about that but if I was bored I would chew on it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck94! View Post
I would try to do some more mentally stimulating activities with your puppy. These work their brain and they tire him out. You can do things like short little training sessions in your house or we really like playing the "find it" game. You hide food/treats in different places around a room, and let your dog go sniffing around the entire room looking for the treats. It's a great and easy game to stimulate the pup.
This is a perfect suggestion and I will do this when I get home tonight with his treats, also the crate is currently in our bedroom beside our bed and he basically can only see out one side of the crate would it be more beneficial to move the crate downstairs where there is more activity and bigger space? We have 3 cats the would likely roam around during the day, also is the time in the crate that we currently have him in is that ok as long as he gets his activity and mental stimulation? Sorry for all the questions just want to provide the best care for the little guy.
Chuck94! likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwylie View Post
When the pup goes in the kennel perhaps make it a habit to give him an appropriate sized Kong stuffed with something more difficult to get out, or possibly frozen. That will provide a bit of stimulation and gratification and best of all keep him busy doing something for a while as he waits for his people to return. Also, as the previous post said .. mental stimulation can really tire this dogs out

One other suggestion more for when he is a bit older and does need to work some energy off without walking 10 miles. A Flirt pole. That has been a saving grace for me and my boy Jack. I have an outside pole and a smaller inside one for rainy days. Playing with the pole was the first time I felt that Jack was really tired. It didn't take long. We play in the great room different games, working on impulse control etc. Easy to make .. some rope, pvc pipe .. I don't even have a real lure on the end just the frayed rope.

I actually do not keep any bedding in Jack's kennel. I am not sure what others might say about that but if I was bored I would chew on it too.
I was actually reading about the flirt pole yesterday and will use your suggestions and grab an indoor as well as outdoor. I think he would really like this. We have almost become overrun with crickets in the backyard and loves to hunt these little critters. So this would be another great idea.

Last edited by Miketyler; 09-19-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

Not ideal to raise a good GSD. An older dog is OK but a pup not so much. I know many won't agree but this is MHO. You can and should forget about relaxing after work and work with the pup. How will that work with your son?
GSDs cost so hopefully you have that budgeted. What about health costs?
huntergreen likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Not ideal to raise a good GSD. An older dog is OK but a pup not so much. I know many won't agree but this is MHO. You can and should forget about relaxing after work and work with the pup. How will that work with your son?
GSDs cost so hopefully you have that budgeted. What about health costs?
Relax after work? I never said I relaxed after work. I am a very active and fit male and that's what I do. Couch time not for me. Health costs not an issue for us. Thanks for your reply. Always gotta be one on the forums, guess I found him. Thanks for your valuable input.

Last edited by Miketyler; 09-19-2019 at 01:01 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

I would go back to a little bit of the zoom around the field.chasing the kong stuff. He's 4 mos old now - they grow fast. If he came down with pano, then he'd go on a lot of "bed rest" take it easy stuff. But that aside, BTY2 as a pup was notorious for chewing up crate pads. I purposefully chose 100% cotton, bath matts with no backing. I figured that they had a better chance of passing comfortably and maybe even being somewhat digested. I think ripping them up was entertainment for her. Because I was not working at the time I got her, she wasn't crated for long stretches but she still managed to mangle the mats.

Your son is old enough to be in school for 8 hours a day, and it sounds to me like you and your wife have a pretty good routine worked out. I'd guess your son is involved, too. I'm thinking you are doing pretty fine. I've worked while I had a new pup in the house for four of the five pups I've had. For a few weeks I would race home at noon, let the pup out, put the pup up, go back to work. It worked. It's going to be fine with you, too. (this last one, that I was home with, was probably a bigger issue - ate zippers, ate zippers out of dog beds, ate zipper out of training vest before I ever got to use it.)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Hello Miketyler and welcome to the forum! ( i am new here myself)

* Disclaimer I am not a trainer and Josie is my first GSD*

It sounds like you all have a good routine at home. Here's what has worked for us...

Every morning before work I take Josie for a walk (about 1.75 miles) around the neighborhood and then we work on obedience/tricks for about 10 minutes. By the time I leave for work she is calm and settled down (or she may be just giving me the guilty sad eyes look in the hopes i stay home lol).
In the evenings we used to go out for walks until it became too hot over the summer so we started working on recall in the backyard (long duration and distance, about 20 minutes). After that we work on obedience for about 10 minutes. This has been our routine since she came home with us at 10 weeks and she's been doing well. She chewed on one water proof blanket when she was a pup and has not chewed on any of her crate pads/beds. I've always given her a frozen stuffed Kong when she has to be crated.

The most we've had to leave her in a crate is about 7 hours usually on the weekends (after a good hike in the morning).

I've found that our socialization walks on Sundays in town seem to wear her out more than hiking 3-4 miles.

I was curious what kind of crate he uses? One of Josie's crates is a wire crate with a black cover around it that keeps it nice and dark, i've heard it sometimes helps when the wire crate has a cover on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Josie --- 10/18/18
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Mike, just a thought, can you hire a dog walker/sitter to come over and play in the yard for an hour or so in either the am or pm ? .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page