• 1 Post By Sunsilver
  • 2 Post By Dunkirk
  • 3 Post By Sunsilver
  • 2 Post By LuvShepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, but....

Deja is obedient to a T. Sometimes, I call her while she is just heading to her private shrubbery area. She stopped, looked at me with, honestly, a question mark in her face, saying, "Yes, I would, but I really need to poop now. Can you wait?" So I tell her, "It's OK, go potty!" She does and happily and relieved she jumps out of her forested relief area. The cool thing is that she doesn't use this 'yes, but' as an excuse for any other situation unless her thinking was smarter than mine. On the contrary I have had a couple of dogs in the past that I couldn't allow this with.
It almost has grown into a human-human conversation. I love it that she is not an obedient robot but that somehow I have given her the room to be her own "person". Never had a dog like that
How about your dogs? How does 'yes, but' work for you?

Last edited by wolfy dog; 09-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Crowned Member

My oldest male is like that. It is the only time he blows off a recall but he will come if I repeat it in a stern voice.

What really cracks me up around him is when I am working a puppy who is being unruly or misbehaving and he simply knows that I am not talking to him and gives the younger dog an intense stare for its disobedience or rambunctiousness.
wolfy dog likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ha, ha, one mutt was diligently obedient (I had a group of 4 at that time). They all had to sit before being fed. One of the Whippets would not sit (Whippets don't take obedience very seriously) and that mutt looked at him like, "Hey dude, hurry up, we need to eat'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Ha, ha, one mutt was diligently obedient (I had a group of 4 at that time). They all had to sit before being fed. One of the Whippets would not sit (Whippets don't take obedience very seriously) and that mutt looked at him like, "Hey dude, hurry up, we need to eat'.
Cats are very much like that too. Say one cat's name with a warning tone and the others all look at that one to see what it is going on. LOL
wolfy dog likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Master Member

Rumo and I have discussions about our walking route:
R, veering right: "Yes, but...I think I smell cat smell over there!"
Me, refusing to veer right: "Yes, but it's getting dark, we should get home!"
He will always defer to me and let me 'win' if I insist, but he does ask...and sometimes I give in.

Like Deja, he is an obedient guy when it matters, so I don't feel like I have to 'crack down' on him.
I think he can tell when I'm serious about something vs when there's room for discussion...:-)
wolfy dog likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I asked not as much from Whippets as I do from the GSDs; they are such opposite breeds (except for the hunting part). One example that I will never forget is when I called one of the of the Whippets in our field and he ignored me and instead started looking around. Me:"Good, he is at least considering it!" Then, when he decided there was nothing better to do, he came happily running up to me. As much as I love Deja, 'considering obedience as an option' is not an option.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Knighted Member

My second GSD turned the household upside down when she came to live with me. She was a 9 month old stray, extremely smart and quite the brat.

Yep, there were times when she considered obedience an option. She'd come, if there was nothing better to do.
I got used to her deciding she just HAD to have one last pee before she came. Then, she'd pretend she'd forgotten I called her, and begin sniffing around again! She was one of those dogs you constantly had to try to be one step ahead of. But, she soon learned that when you said TASHAAAAH, she'd overstepped her bounds, and had better do what was asked.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 11:55 PM
Elite Member

Years ago when we got our rescue bearded collie when training her, I thought she was dumb. I eventually figured out she wasn't. She thought, "But, why?", not "Yes, but ". While a lovely, social, family pet, with her innovative and independent way of thinking, she wasn't going to be a good role model, so I waited till she deceased before getting my puppy.

When I tell Nitro to drop when I'm watching TV in the sitting room, we have an understanding he can choose where, on the rug in the sunlight or the shade, or on the cool tiles. I want him to be comfortable.

When I call Nitro inside and he needs to potty first, he pauses to look at me as if to say, "Hold please, I'll be right there", then hurries off to do his business first.

In July I had been very sick, while very ill he slept on my bed. A few nights ago I happened to cough, once, in bed. Nitro came into the bedroom, gave my face a thorough diagnostic sniff, then hopped on the bed and lay down. I need never suffer alone :-D
wolfy dog and Sunsilver like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Heard about a beardie that was doing scent detection, and decided the item must be in the judge's purse...

Definitly independent thinkers!
wolfy dog, car2ner and Dunkirk like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

I always know when not to call him because if he has to pee that is most important. But I won’t let him totally blow off commands. If he won’t come, if I have already called him and then realize he is torn between responding and going, I change it to something I know he will do as a reminder, like my Go command, then let him go and pee. I figure it’s my problem for not realizing he needs to go, so I need to be more observing and creative. After he pees, he immediately races over to me to show he is really listening.
wolfy dog and Dunkirk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page