We well never forget - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes
  • 8 Post By Jenny720
  • 3 Post By CometDog
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Sharing this link that was posted last year about working dogs making a difference. A great tribute in honoring the brave souls that risked their lives in attempting to help others. Dogs have served and continue to serve human kind for centuries- helping the farmers with their livestock, protect land, serve with men and woman in our wars, partners to the police who help keep communities safe, guide the blind, assist people who need physical help, find drugs and Bombs at different transportation facilities, find the missing, finding the deceased bringing closure to families and help solve cases, they help us heal and bring us endless joy. What would be the world be like if we did not need these special animals and they did not exist.
https://youtu.be/903Owd8gq4o

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-11-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

Beautiful <3 Thanks for sharing.

I am directly across the river. Twin Towers use to be part of my daily view. I was watching the 1st building from on top of my car when the 2nd building was hit. That sinking feeling when you realized it wasn't an accident.

Our town responded immediately. The following day and over the next few weeks we set up volunteer stations at all of our firehouses in the towns along the Hudson. We collected water, baby wipes, clean underwear and socks, power bars, for the 1st responders. They were coming in and going right back out after a comfort stop. Their eyes were so red and irritated. They smelled like burning metal. It was so sharp. And there were dogs too. They had bath stations for them at some of the firehouses. We collected booties, biscuits, and loveys for them. Some were SAR, some were Explosive, but plenty were certified therapy dogs that were going back and forth to give comfort. Beautiful kind mutts. Broke my heart. All of it. Also made me proud of how we responded and how we drew together as a nation. Not that I would want another event in a million years, but the humanity and patriotism after the event was so nice...
Clare, Sabis mom and cvamoca like this.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes it was quite surreal what a sight that had to be seen from where you are. That was very kind and generous of you. So proud to see everyone helping and come together it was two different powerful emotions at the same time. Pain and pride . It was terrifying -driving to work and hearing it on the radio like it was yesterday so clear in my mind. It was hard to function at work- a few family members of mine were working in that area. I remember calling them at work to find out if they were okay. Planes were still missing and hearing more attacks later that morning. My neighbor and my friends husband where police and fireman that were there at the towers that day and lost some friends and going though constant health checks. So many stories of friends of friends lost or a few late or called in sick. It was nice to see and hear many SAR were shepherds my veterinarian was down there treating them. All the dogs just being around everyone helped them tremendously. I have heard many stories on how they would hide live people as the dogs were getting depressed on what they were finding. Driving home there were people with the American flag riding on horseback I will never forget that site. It really was powerful to see the goodness in everyone and how everyone joined together it brought great strength on such a tragic day.
CometDog likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-11-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:50 AM
Master Member

Yes I am sure everybody remembers exactly where they were and what they were doing that day...

My brother was working on Wall St. and thankfully was OK. He commented that human nature truly emerges at those times...while some people screamed and trampled over other people trying to get to the exit, yet others were helping older folks down the stairs. I think he is still haunted by things that he saw.

Anyway yes, thank you to all the working dogs!!!
Interesting that finding people who were not alive would depress them...I thought they thought of it as a training exercise, I didn't realize that they "understood". :-(

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes I think it’s called flashbulb memory before a tragic event, even if you were not there. So happy to hear your brother is okay. I’m sure he will never be the same again after experience something like that it has to change a person.
The dogs as I understand, when they do not find anyone they loose their morale their motivation. They want to do good to do their job and when they are not finding anyone -it gets frustrating it effects them. Their spirits dull. I would imagine the incredible long hours and the kind of energy that they were picking up on all come to play. They had people hide to set them up for success and boost their confidence getting rewards of play which I am sure it may have also improved the handlers spirits to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page